May 17, 2024, 07:18:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564675 times)
Olds

« Reply #8835 on: August 24, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »

Don't think the speedster or most of the builds on here will ever look factory made but I get your point stinky.
I just point out the regs as I understand them and what folk decide to do with this info is up to the individual.
I feel it is better that folk understand what is legally required rather than bleat about how unfair it is after they have been caught out.
 From what I hear, soon you can expect to be pulled over by VOSA if you are driving/riding anything that looks unusual. They no longer need to have a copper with them and while they concentrate on commercial vehicles, anything that looks at all different or iffy is liable to be roadside checked

Andy, shouldn't worry too much about red wires being an earth, as before I changed things, most of the wires behind the dash were red, including grounding wires. Unless I could get back to the component they were attached to (ie. not in a harness) they stayed that way.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:48:05 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8836 on: August 24, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »

My sympathies lie with the sentiments stated by Stinkey, pretty soon it will not just be passing "sponge roller" tests, but registered design info will be required,indeed demanded, with mods to pre-designed/registered items such as brakes. steering, etc. along with coded welding, dye pen,& the full "9 yards" associated with that, and at that point the shed builder, or "special" builder of times past, will be no more. At the risk of repeating myself, check out the 'hoops' other countries builders have to go through! and whilst no one want unsafe builds I can't help feeling we are encouraging evermore legislation by the tacit support so many of us appear to give to the DVLA "jobs worths"...so there you go, for what its worth,...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
kapri

« Reply #8837 on: August 24, 2016, 07:41:46 PM »

EVERY EU country is allowed an IVA , most don't bother with it as the interest is so low. The reason we have anything at all is because we FOUGHT for it starting in 1976 when ALL mods were to be outlawed. The EU HATE the fact we have , and use the test , so every use and pass is actually a finger up to them.

I started fighting in 1976 and have never stopped ,just because I support what we have doesn't mean I agree with it all . It is our input over the past 40 years that allow us to have a test and one that does actually work although no one is saying it's perfect it's a pretty good outcome considering what some of the proposals were in the past.

When you see some of the s**t people build and downright stupidity displayed on many forums I can understand why a test is required and also why so many are against any form of test.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8838 on: August 24, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »

Yeah, right, a bit like turkeys voting for Xmas!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Beware the Ides of March, But!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8839 on: August 24, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »

Unfortunately Kev is right..and most likely Morrag too ? But let's keep building them ..my cousin said he's going to fit a piece of chequer plate somewhere on his trike to wind me up? Anyway back to the forum Smiley

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8840 on: August 27, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »

A big day at Loony's workshop today as all the vehicles that have gathered there over the past 10 years were finally taken away & redistributed to various owner's garages. Huge thanks to local guy Ashley, who spent the day ferrying the non runners around Basingstoke on his truck. He's not a recovery bloke -he races drift cars & this is his race transport. Furthest the Pop's moved in nearly 3 years.
The Beetle was Loon's first ever car, acquired when he was 15. Got the Pop installed in it's new lock-up garage in the middle of the town & couldn't figure out what the damp patch on the roof of the cab was -gearbox oil from the Beetle. Chris, Big Darren, Ben, Ash' & Loon had cleared almost everything by the time I finished work this afternoon, so all I had to do was help load & unload my own vehicle. They even installed my Dad's old wooden workbench in my bike lock-up for me.
I arrived at Loon's place intending to be gone in a couple of weeks. That was about 8 years ago. Several others have come & gone in that time too. Now it's empty & he's moving on. Obviously we'll keep in touch, but I won't need to see him every day. End of an era.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:33:51 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8841 on: August 27, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »

Olds

« Reply #8842 on: August 28, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »

As you say Andy "End of an era" and a big change.
The lockup wont be an easy place to work in but at least it's undercover and once it's running and back on the road, you can get it to somewhere with electricity when needed.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Stix

« Reply #8843 on: August 28, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »

Andy
Make damn sure you get rid of all the oil and any residue from the roof or the paint will react overtime you try to spray it.

Stix
terry t

« Reply #8844 on: August 28, 2016, 08:24:17 AM »

Don't think the speedster or most of the builds on here will ever look factory made but I get your point stinky.
I just point out the regs as I understand them and what folk decide to do with this info is up to the individual.
I feel it is better that folk understand what is legally required rather than bleat about how unfair it is after they have been caught out.
 From what I hear, soon you can expect to be pulled over by VOSA if you are driving/riding anything that looks unusual. They no longer need to have a copper with them and while they concentrate on commercial vehicles, anything that looks at all different or iffy is liable to be roadside checked

Andy, shouldn't worry too much about red wires being an earth, as before I changed things, most of the wires behind the dash were red, including grounding wires. Unless I could get back to the component they were attached to (ie. not in a harness) they stayed that way.
I built the looms for pop and wired it. but like Andy said its been altered and taken apart since then
All the wires on pop were red and black donated by nabs and me that's all we could get as the cost to use different colour was out of the question .All reds were used for live feeds with markers blacks grounds. And only Brown heavy cables use for starter and alternator. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8845 on: August 28, 2016, 08:32:42 AM »

Hiya terry. You did a good job mate, but it means nothing to me. Don't understand wiring at all.  Smiley No idea what those 2 red wires in one ring terminal are. I guess connecting the battery up & hooking a test bulb up to them would tell me if they're live or not.
Yeah, I'll rub the roof back before I paint it. Just aerosol paint for now.
There's room to walk down the side of the Pop, but realistically, it'll have to be rolled out a bit to work on it, but then it's just a matter of pushing it back in & closing the door when I'm done. There'll be more room once all the parts are back on it.
I've got a small generator, (the blue thing in the righthand corner of that last photo). I bought it off a mate a couple of weeks ago but haven't tried it yet. Used to have one years ago & it would run a drill or an angle grinder as long as I didn't work them too hard. Still got a couple of exhaust brackets that need to be welded to the chassis -what size generator would I need to run my 150 MIG? The alternative is to try & find a local mobile welder for an hour's work.

terry t

« Reply #8846 on: August 28, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »

Hiya terry. You did a good job mate, but it means nothing to me. Don't understand wiring at all.  Smiley No idea what those 2 red wires in one ring terminal are. I guess connecting the battery up & hooking a test bulb up to them would tell me if they're live or not.
Yeah, I'll rub the roof back before I paint it. Just aerosol paint for now.
There's room to walk down the side of the Pop, but realistically, it'll have to be rolled out a bit to work on it, but then it's just a matter of pushing it back in & closing the door when I'm done. There'll be more room once all the parts are back on it.
I've got a small generator, (the blue thing in the righthand corner of that last photo). I bought it off a mate a couple of weeks ago but haven't tried it yet. Used to have one years ago & it would run a drill or an angle grinder as long as I didn't work them too hard. Still got a couple of exhaust brackets that need to be welded to the chassis -what size generator would I need to run my 150 MIG? The alternative is to try & find a local mobile welder for an hour's work.

They might go to the speedo?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8847 on: August 28, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »

Yeah, I wondered that. I'm having a weekend off from vehicles, but will probably lift the dash back out next week & take another look.

kapri

« Reply #8848 on: August 28, 2016, 10:10:06 AM »

You need a HUGE genny to run a 150 mig as welders draw a lot of current on starting the arc . Have you thought about drilling and tapping the chassis to bolt the exhaust brackets on . You can pick up a reasonable 18 volt drill for around the £40 mark.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8849 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »

Yeah, thought about that. It was the last bit of welding I was hoping to get done at Loony's workshop before we moved out, but I'm waiting for a local engineer to bore out the stainless exhaust flanges I used on the previous system. The silencers need setting up in situ on the car, then everything tacked in place, taken off & fully welded. So even if I bolted mounting tabs to the chassis, I'd still need to tack-weld flanges & tabs to the pipes. Think I'll have to set it all up, then call in a mobile welder to do the deed. The alternative would be loading the Pop on a trailer & taking it over to Torque Technique in Salisbury, who made the pipes for my bike, & getting them to fit a custom system, using the front & rear silencers I already have -but that'd be hugely expensive & a logistical nightmare.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:32:12 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: