May 17, 2024, 11:32:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565026 times)
spanners

« Reply #4965 on: June 11, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »

ANDY,,, take a look at ebay ,item number 180898417112  Wink
it would look well in the back of youre pop ,, Wink ;)and somewhere to keep youre sandwich,s and bits an bobs,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4966 on: June 11, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »

I chucked one of those away a few years ago - took it to several boot sales and no takers so............

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Cabman77

« Reply #4967 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »

You came up to indian country and didn`t wave as you went by?HuhHuh?? Should have called in for a cuppa. Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4968 on: June 11, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »

Oh now you tell me Cabby!

"Modern stylish storage"?
Not really my kinda thing Mike, but very popular with the VW crowd who seem to like piling their cars up with all sorts of retro tatt.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:14:22 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
thebigdogsix

« Reply #4969 on: June 11, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »

Thats some of the vw crowd not all i have enough tat lol
there is a lad on our street with a really low lupo he carries a bale of straw round in the back and a load of old fuel cans on the roof rack
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4970 on: June 11, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »

Tongue Really don't quite understand the trend meself.

spanners

« Reply #4971 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »

Thats some of the vw crowd not all i have enough tat lol
there is a lad on our street with a really low lupo he carries a bale of straw round in the back and a load of old fuel cans on the roof rack

up youre way,, the straw will be fodder,, for his girl friend  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

and the cans will be for fuel ,nickin,,, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #4972 on: June 12, 2012, 02:11:13 AM »

that case would be for a rat truck, which hes not makin!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:03:25 AM by triker_Chewie » Logged

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Cabman77

« Reply #4973 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »

Always worth a short detour up the A127, always welcome. Grin Grin Grin Grin

panthershaun

« Reply #4974 on: June 12, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »

I've got a metal one of those trunks in the shed  Cheesy

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Cabman77

« Reply #4975 on: June 17, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »

What haven`t you got in your shed Shaun Huh? Grin Grin Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4976 on: June 17, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

A completed Pop?  Grin  Tongue
Actually, neither have I. For the people who've emailed me recently, asking if work's stopped on my truck- no, it hasn't, honest.
Still plugging away at it, but I've had a week or so of late days at work when I've either finished so late in the afternoon that it's not really been worth getting changed & traipsing out to the workshop, or I've only been able to put in an hour or so, or Loony's had to finish early for one reason or another.
Today he's up at Donnington Park racetrack, so no Poppin' for me.
I'm still re-working the floor panels & have spent the last 2 available afternoons ripping up the welded in passenger side floor with a chisel, (& slicing my hands to bits on ragged steel sheet in the process), to replace it with a bolt-in version in slightly thicker steel. We'd welded the floors to the chassis, saying we'd never need to get access to the stuff underneath, but actually it makes a lot more sense to have them removable.
The passenger footwell, (the bit you put your feet in under the dashboard), is now removable as a complete unit & bolts into the box section framework of the body on one side & the gearbox tunnel on the other. I'm also re-working parts of the tunnel so that everything bolts together in removable sections & taking a look at the panels under the dashboard on the driver's side, around the steering column, trying to come up with a tidy way of finishing them. Nothing really worth photographing at the moment, but I'm still there most afternoons.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4977 on: June 17, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »

After the nail biting drama of the SVA test back in April, when we scraped through just in time before the test was phased out, (the test had been running for over 20 years & we actually made it through with just 3 hours to spare -how crazy is that!), we've now got 12 months to get the rest of the procedure sorted. That means getting the truck MOT'd, then taking it up to Wimbledon in London town, (my local DVLA office), for a paperwork check, before paying the road tax & being issued with the logbook & reg' number.
It'd be easy to think we've got loads of time, but those 12 months will very soon tick by. Plus of course, I want to be out driving the damn thing before the Winter gets here. Loony's gradually getting busier at the workshop, so I'm handling most of the sheet metalwork & building up lists of welding jobs for him to tackle when he gets the time/inclination.
So. Jobs to do before we put it in for the MOT test:
.Finish what I'm doing in the cab -reworking the floors & gearbox tunnel, tying everything together to make a nice solid unit. I'm very tempted to pull out the heater as I'm not convinced I like it & it'd remove a lot of clutter. If anything, the cab gets too warm when the engine's running so we could do with air-con rather than a heater, but Loony thinks it makes an interesting feature even if we never use it.
.Make a plywood template for the windscreen -I've just picked up a new screen rubber, (after cutting the last brand new one 2 inches too short), then getting the glass cut. Mr Spanners, I'll pay you for that new Landrover screen you've got if it's definitely laminated, not toughened. Need to find a way of transporting it down South from your place though.
.Take the doors off & fit the new hinges. The originals are knackered so I bought new Landrover ones from Ebay, as suggested by Shaun. The door edges will need strengthening though as the hinges fit right on the outside lip of the door skin. The original hinge mounts on the bodywork are rusted in so need cutting out & re-building, as does the bodywork around the rest of the door openings on both sides of the cab.
.Once the doors are properly lined up with the body, I need to fit the new "bear claw" latches I bought from Pop Browns last year. These are the same as fitted to most modern cars, with a cog mechanism on the door that engages with a metal loop on the body, rather than the old fashioned "slam locks" fitted as standard. They were O.K for the SVA test, but don't line up very well & have an alarming habit of popping open when driving over rough ground, so need sorting before we drive it on the open road. I've just bought some linkages from P/Browns to hook the original door handles up to the new locks.
I've got a couple of spare doors so will butcher them to provide various sections, inside & out, to strengthen the ones on the car & also move the internal door handles further back as they're in the way where they are. Also need to fit the external door mirrors I have.
.Biggest job by far is to replace the worn out kingpin bushes in the front axle though. The hubs pivot on white metal/bronze bushes in cast lugs on the ends of the axle. With over 60 years of wear, they're very sloppy, meaning the wheels actually wobble. They weren't part of the SVA test, but definitely won't pass the MOT. So I need to find a supplier of kingpin kits for a '53 Ford Popular 103e if anyone knows a source. The kits normally comprise new steel pins & top & bottom bushes. Fitting them will involve taking the front axle out of the car & taking it to someone such as Mr Cunningplan, who knows how to ream the bushes to fit, (they come oversize & need opening out to fit the pins). While the axle's out I'll re-route the front brake caliper pipes & also re-position the hydraulic brake light switch before we re-bleed the system.

There are other jobs to do, like seam welding all the tacked together areas of the cab, then skimming it all with lead or normal body filler; getting new glass cut for the doors; lead filling the fuel tank in the pick-up bed & fitting the second fuel pump so we can hook it up & use it; getting a speedo cable made up & having the speedo itself recalibrated so it reads correctly; seam welding all the tacked together bonnet panels & making some stainless struts to hold them in the open position. Plus upholstering the cab interior, then tuning the engine for best road use. But they can all be done bit by bit once we're roadworthy & legal.
I don't really want to take it out to shows looking tatty & half done -it's not a ratod, it's just not finished yet! but we need to get it fully registered then out there clocking up some miles, partly to start ironing out the inevitable teething problems before we take it off the road for the Winter for proper paint & polish, but also to start repaying us with some smiles for all the hours we've put into it.             
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:38:05 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

terry t

« Reply #4978 on: June 17, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »

Is this any good for you Andy

http://www.thepopshop.org.uk/Pages/home%20page.htm
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4979 on: June 17, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »

Yeah, that's what I need Terry. A kingpin kit. I've heard mixed opinions of the Pop Shop though so will try elsewhere first. Must be classic parts suppliers, rather than custom ones, who stock them Id've thought.

http://www.thepopshop.org.uk/Pages/mechanics%20opage.htm
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:26:43 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: