May 17, 2024, 08:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564967 times)
terry t

« Reply #4155 on: December 07, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »

Andy. we took the residual valves off. because the front discs  were not releasing. after the foot brake was applied.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4156 on: December 07, 2011, 07:27:44 PM »

I'm not even asking any more mate. Never been any good with brakes, (or electrics). At the end of the day, as long as everything does what it should, I don't care!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #4157 on: December 07, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »

Andy. we took the residual valves off. because the front discs  were not releasing. after the foot brake was applied.

It was still doing it after the residuals were removed Terry Sad The reason they weren't releasing was the pushrod was too long , with no free play ,so holding pressure on front and rear. It didn't show up on the rear because the shoes weren't adjusted up tight enough ( now sorted) .

Without the residuals there is no doubt the fluid will bleed back, had it happen on everyone I've built:(

When I took the A out after a lay up the brake swere crap even though I had a high mounted reservoir. This was half full but when I removed the top it filled back up,to the top ,as I looked at it with fluid that had drained back from the wheels.
kapri

« Reply #4158 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »

Slowly but surely Kev.
I've got a new, unused 10lb residual valve, (the drum brake one), plus the old stripped down 2lb disc brake one. If we can't put the disc one back together again I'll have to buy another, but I think they were only about 10 quid for the blue ones anyway.
Any news on the other SVA'ers yet?

One has just started back on his fails. Like yourself too much time and money spent to get it ready for the deadline so had to pause to catch up.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4159 on: December 07, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

Like yourself too much time and money spent / so had to pause to catch up.

Thats kinda reassuring to know Kev.
So the brakes aren't operated by magical mice then?

kapri

« Reply #4160 on: December 08, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »

Nope, elves but don't giveaway trade secrets.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4161 on: December 12, 2011, 10:51:23 PM »

Back to the workshop for the first time in a week or two this afternoon. Seems like either Loony's been away from the 'shop or I've had other things I had to do. Nice to get back to it, although the annual chaos that is Christmas at Royal Mail meant I didn't arrive till gone 3.0.clock.
Dropped the silencers from under the cab ready to trim back the sills as they're fouling the front exhaust mounts, then disconnected the old VW Beetle brake master cylinder from it's home under the cab floor ready to fit the new VW camper van one. They use the same mounts, but the new cylinder's an inch longer than the old one, meaning I need to notch the chassis cross member behind it. After a bit of crawling about under the truck I decided to just pull the floor panel up & cut the chassis from the top 
...which idiot decided to weld the floor down then? Oh. Me.
So I finished the afternoon drilling the welds out, ready to lift the floor tomorrow.
Not much progress, but it's good to be back, doing something.

kapri

« Reply #4162 on: December 13, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »

I know it's been awhile so just a gentle reminder that you've got to move either the cylinder mount or the pedal mount to get the push rod operating in a straight line. Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4163 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »

Haven't forgotten Kev. Was kinda hoping you could take a look & decide exactly what needs moving where next time you're up here.
Another long day, delivering Her Maj's mail today. Christmas tends to come around roughly the same time every year yet, strangely, it always seems to catch Royal Mail by suprise. So much stuff to deliver.
So I spent my short time at the workshop today breaking the spot welds with a hammer & chisel then peeling the driver's side floor panel back up. You can see here how much longer the new cylinder is than the old one. When we put the chassis together we massively over engineered it. After some research, (studying photos of various rods in the stack of American custom magazines in Loony's office), we decided to cut out the short cross member that the back of the cylinder's sat on. I may add a flat strap somewhere to clip the brake hoses to.
Didn't have time to cut the section out today, so will attack that tomorrow.

dobber

« Reply #4164 on: December 13, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »

not too clued up with chassis but looks like it will survive with a few bits removed

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Al

« Reply #4165 on: December 14, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »

with the amount of fresh welds on that andy it hasnt got a lot of surface rust on it it must be warm at looneys looking good andy you must be well please with it every time you go in now knowing it wont be long now

it must be crap to be a postie at this time of year we normally get our post about 3-4 today near 5 glad we dont get mail twice a day now
kapri

« Reply #4166 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »

Give me a shout when you want me to pop over , Thursday and Friday are out this week as Marian is having an op.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4167 on: December 14, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »

Give her our regards Kev.  Wink
No Loony at the workshop today, so another afternoon lost, but blew a headlight bulb in my commuter car on the way to work this morning, so used the time to go buy another & fit it. Got given a couple of metres of new brake pipe the other day & the load compensator valve arrived from the Bay of E this afternoon. All I need now is a 2lb residual valve. Friday's my day off this week, so Saturday next week, but I think that's Christmas Eve & I'm sure you'll have better things to do Kev! Haven't unpacked the valve yet, but I'm not sure how to set it up -with the suspension fully compressed, or fully unladen, or somewhere in the middle?
The chassis has more steel in it than the Titanic, but hopefully it'll survive it's maiden voyage. The splodge of bright orange rust in that photo is water that's dripped from the heater pipes, (we disconnected them for the test). Most of the truck's still in bare metal so there's a fair bit of surface rust where it's been regularly stood in the rain in the open doorway of the workshop, but once it's tested it'll be stripped down, shotblasted & powder-coated, so we're not too bothered about it for now.

-just picked up a 2lb residual valve from Ebay, so I think that's all the new brake components now. Just need to know where to put them all.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:24:06 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4168 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »

Cut a section out of the front of the sill frames this afternoon to give more clearance for the silencer pipes. Then made up fill-in pieces for them, ready for Loony to weld.
Had a look at the Fiesta van brake load compensator valve. It has 4 brake pipe inlet/outlets, so presumably goes in place of the T piece on the back axle which feeds the 2 rear brakes. No, it'd have to go after the T piece otherwise you wouldn't have 2 feeds into it. The hinged arm operates a valve -does opening it increase the fluid flow? Looking at the spring arrangement, it seems the spring is meant to pull it shut. No idea how or where to fit this -or even which way up it goes.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:37:50 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

cunningplan

« Reply #4169 on: December 15, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »

If I get one in with one on in the next couple of days, I will take some photos for you.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: