May 09, 2024, 04:34:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: towing dolly i made for my trike  (Read 12065 times)
mouse

« on: May 23, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »

here's a couple of pics of the towing dolly i made for my trike
I've so far towed it about 50 miles with no problems  Grin

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/007mouse/SDC14924.jpg
towing dolly i made for my trike

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/007mouse/SDC14925.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/007mouse/SDC14926.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/007mouse/SDC14927.jpg

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
kevsky

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

don't want to put a dampener on things but is it 100% legal as it has 2 pivot points i.e the one on the dolly and the headstock of the trike I'm only mentioning this cos I have a tow a trike where the towing arms are joined to the front forks and am a little dubious about this also so if any legal minded monkey out there in the know could shed some light on this matter we'd all be a little wiser

reality sucks thank god for religion
spanners

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »

double articulated == class one hgv   thats what i was told  Shocked Shocked Shocked

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

Don't know about the double articulation thing but I looked into a towing dolly or towatrike to take mone to Scotland, and they're not legal for regular towing, only for emergency.  Sorry, can't remember where I found it but it was some official site.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
terry t

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »

this is from dvla Webb site
i use an A frame. I asked at the local traffic section for the police about using one of these. and they said as long as it is less the 3.5ton i can tow it on my standard car licence

Towing a car using an A-frame or dolly
If you attach an A-frame to a car in order to tow it with a larger vehicle, the car plus A-frame counts as a trailer.

If you use a dolly to tow a broken-down vehicle, the dolly counts as a trailer.

In both cases the usual safety regulations for trailers apply.

mouse

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »

i have no idea of the legalities of it
all i know is its done the job for me

This ones of flea bay
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIKE-TRANSPORTER-TRAILER-DOLLY-TOURING-RECOVERY-/170844654896?pt=UK_CartsParts_Vehicles_ATVQuad_Trike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item27c7228d30

may be worth emailing them and asking about the legalities

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
terry t

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »

i have no idea of the legalities of it
all i know is its done the job for me

This ones of flea bay
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIKE-TRANSPORTER-TRAILER-DOLLY-TOURING-RECOVERY-/170844654896?pt=UK_CartsParts_Vehicles_ATVQuad_Trike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item27c7228d30

may be worth emailing them and asking about the legalities

a lot of trikers use these. The trike doctor sell these as well
nabsim

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »

I have used Hightowers tow a trike and it is a wonderful bit of kit, not least os you can put it in the boot when not in use. Have seen posts questioning the legality of them but have never heard of anyone getting pulled using one

snafu

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »

double articulated == class one hgv   thats what i was told  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Just for those interested,
If the double articulation is considered to be towing 2 trailers then your right HGV1 required. There’s a big BUT with this, the whole combination will be considered as a heavy locomotive, the basic requirements being; the towing unit must exceed 11.5 tn weight, the travel speed is limited to 25mph (or there about’s) and the driver must carry an attendant, you can see this configuration with showman’s vehicles. That is the only way you can tow 2 trailers. Years ago one of our drivers was prosecuted by Bedfordshire police for towing 2 trailers, a broken down  4 wheel rigid with a draw bar trailer ended up in court and the legal precedent was  set thing the case was Yates v Bedfordshire police.
So whatever you tow if not with a heavy locomotive has to be considered 1 trailer.
Below should be a pic of 3 trailers

trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

Hi Terry
   Are you going to show us a picture of your "A" frame  Smiley

this is from dvla Webb site
i use an A frame. I asked at the local traffic section for the police about using one of these. and they said as long as it is less the 3.5ton i can tow it on my standard car licence

Towing a car using an A-frame or dolly
If you attach an A-frame to a car in order to tow it with a larger vehicle, the car plus A-frame counts as a trailer.

If you use a dolly to tow a broken-down vehicle, the dolly counts as a trailer.

In both cases the usual safety regulations for trailers apply.

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
The North

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »

This is how i understand the Dolly and A frame laws to stand at the moment.

I am sure the double articulation aspect regarding towing dolly's is irrelevant in this case. The way i understand towing dolly's and A frames right now in uk law is as follows.
  Dolly's if the weight of the dolly pluss trailer weighs more than 750kg the dolly must be fitted with over run brakes and a handbrake that is operational, and all the current lighting regulations etc if over 750kgs. If below 750kgs the dolly is fine with no overun brakes or handbrake and if the towed vehicle allows the towing vehicles tail lights to be seen it does not require rear lights either..
   The towed car on a dolly need not be road registered moted or taxed or broken down. but it needs to be in such a condition as to not pose a threat of injury to other road users. ie no sharp damaged panels poor structural integrity etc.
     A frames are quite restrictive,. If the car you are towing  is fully road legal you can use the non braked type of A frame to recover the car in the case of a breakdown, but if the towed car is over 750kgs you need the A frame to have a brake mechanism like the ones the AA etc now use. If you tow a car over 750kgs on an unbraked A frame you can only move the car to a place of safety whatever that means.  The law on A frames id a bit of a grey area, due to some archaic uk and pending European laws, A frames are recovery A frames and should be used for this purpose only not transporting.

that dolly looks legal to me if the trike is under 750kgs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:51:54 PM by The North » Logged
terry t

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »

Hi Pete. it a trail a trike
there classed as a frames as they are fixed to the vehicle making it a trailer
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10086.msg123188#msg123188
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »

This is the Ebay one that Mouse posted - what do we think about it chaps?   - I have messaged them to ask about the legalities.  It's a bit expensive but I could sell it again even if I didn't get all my money back it would be worth it.

The wheels are only 8in which seems a bit small to me!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »

Thinking about this as I've been looking at trailers but either they aren't wide enough or they're enormous!

Sorry to hijack the thread!

one arm bandit

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »

Thinking about this as I've been looking at trailers but either they aren't wide enough or they're enormous!

Sorry to hijack the thread!
think the small wheels are to keep it low so the front of the trike doesnt get to much stress under braking,
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: