May 18, 2024, 03:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565125 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4830 on: May 15, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »

Cheesy

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #4831 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »

by the way andy that v8 aint far of right,, Wink youlle just have to learn how to drive it Smiley

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
panthershaun

« Reply #4832 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »

they have a brass ball that sits between the hinges.. keep em greased and they last for yonk's mate and no there isn't much play.....

Did you ever use your Tractor silencers on this Andy?? if not do you wish to part with them???  Wink

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4833 on: May 15, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »

Hoping Mr CunningPlan can re-bush the kingpins on the front axle for me in a few weeks time. Need to cut a new windscreen cos we've changed the rubber & now the screen we've got's too small. Replace the hacked about floor panels & sort out a few missing bits of bodywork. Oh & hopefully re-hang & re-latch the doors, & we're ready to MOT it.
A lot of people referred to it as a ratrod at the Basingstoke show at the weekend. It's not a rat, it's just not finished yet! I fully intend to paint, polish & upholster it, but we'll run it for the rest of this year more or less as it is & continue to work on it. Then it'll be stripped down for final finishing over the Winter.
Yes, Shaun, there's a pair of repro International tractor silencers under the cab. Picked 'em up for 10 quid each brand new at a steam fair in Wiltshire. They gave us 106 decibels though -the limit for the commercial SVA test was 101. So I fitted extra silencers -a pair of Cherry Bombs plus extra motorcycle type baffles. That brought it down to 98 db.
The tractor pipes are quite low though & got squished on the rolling road. I'd like to replace them with stainless ones eventually.
I notice Mr Phunkie's Portafold caravan build uses those hinges on the door. Think I'll order some at the weekend.

one arm bandit

« Reply #4834 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

me neigbour has a 110 300tdi we replaced his hinges last summer he got stainless ones from the local rowen dealer. not sure how much they was?  Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4835 on: May 16, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »

Had a look at their website but couldn't find hinges. The ones PantherShaun used are only 8 quid a pair, so will do the job I think. I'll paint them black to match the doors, or maybe powder-coat them.
Mike, I intend to put some serious mileage on this when it's done, but would rather get used to it on some quiet roads, without an audience, rather than shunting back & forth around the yard. I'm always concerned about ploughing into someone's car cos I've gone for a clutch pedal that isn't there. Obviously there's traffic to contend with on the roads, but I'd like a few miles of open road to get comfortable with it. The A339, Basingstoke to Newbury road runs across the end of the fields opposite the workshop. I've ridden & driven up & down that so many times in the last 35 years or so I could probably do it blind-folded. It's the run I always imagine doing as my first road trip once we're all tested & legal.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:19:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4836 on: May 16, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »

The trick when getting used to an auto box is to cover the brake pedal with your left foot at first - then if you do go for it, you slow down or stop!  But it won't take you long, if I can do it......................

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4837 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »

When I first moved into Taz's cottage, 4 or 5 years ago, I borrowed her BMW coupe for a few weeks to commute to work in until I bought my Fiesta. It was an auto, but my journey to work is all dual carriageways & motorway, one slipping onto the next. So once I was rolling I didn't need to stop until I got to work. She had to give me a driving lesson when I first got in it, but being a new-ish car, it was very smooth, so no real problem to drive. The truck's a bit more ...brutal! Loony drives an auto every day so has no problem with it, but it's all a bit alien to me at the moment.

one arm bandit

« Reply #4838 on: May 16, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »

my 525i is auto i had driven auto rangies before..but i love auto the trick is not to move your left leg at all then ull soon get used to it, will become second nature i alway use the left to brake now it just seems natural, its like our mate at work been a biker 40 years daily and a really good safe rider at all speeds, but didnt have a clue how to ride the yt lads scooter Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4839 on: May 16, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »

Yeah, Loony drives with his left foot tucked behind his right, but Kapri recently asked on another forum, (apparently there are others), how people drove their classic Yank autos. Nearly everyone uses the left foot to brake.

one arm bandit

« Reply #4840 on: May 16, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »

yeah id imagine alot of auto drivers do tbh   the strange thing is right foot braking now feels weird and like the brakes are fooked Huh wait untill its wet and you can accelarate and brake at the same time rounderbouts are more interesting that way.......so i here Roll Eyes
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4841 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »

Especially on skinny crossplies.  Shocked

spanners

« Reply #4842 on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »

Especially on skinny crossplies.  Shocked

youlle,, be,,,,,,SMOKIN,,,,,,,,,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #4843 on: May 16, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

I notice Mr Phunkie's Portafold caravan build uses those hinges on the door. Think I'll order some at the weekend.

Carefull with sizing on the brass balls. There are quite a few different diameters.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4844 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »

Lots of hinge pin kits on Ebay. They appear to have a pin, spring & brass ball. How does that work then?

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: