May 14, 2024, 09:36:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: deisel engines for trikes  (Read 3653 times)
v8dodger

« on: April 16, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »

very very confusing stuff this, iv been looking at replacing the v8  for a cheep to run diesel engine,
but after doing some research in to this im finding to my shock and disappointment that most  engines have some kind of complicated wiring loom or brain/ control box to run the engine.
 i was looking in the end at the  ford 1600 or 1800cc as there very basic   but slow but as pointed out to me before 80 mph is not the  done thing lol but i bet a few have  hu huu  any way the 1600 will give if iv searched anuff on this to no,  70 mpg  is not unheard of.
But  must admit i'm very lost  when it come to weight as there is nothing  to be found on inter web  to describe this  question so  do any one no?(how heavy the 1800cc is) also  what other engine in the diesel range dont have  half a tone of complicated electrics  and or  is of a ally block. this would be very useful  to no as the prise at the pump is still very heavy. its not so much i cant  work the loom out as im sure  given lots of time and a  book on the engine i could  unstich it, the reel problem is if it go wrong  no garage will touch it as its a home diy job as iv been told by a lot of firms iv rung up to ask.
spanners

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »

perkins ,prima,2.0l and 2.0l turbo ,, found in sherpa vans =rear wheel drive,, or in meastro/montego,s as front wheel drive but can be turned/converted into rear wheel drive ,, lads are even putting them in series landrovers,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
v8dodger

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »

i completely forgot about Perkins, what is the weight of them ruffly do you no, thanks its going on a vw box
spanners

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »

i completely forgot about Perkins, what is the weight of them ruffly do you no, thanks its going on a vw box
i think they will be around the same as youre v8  , maybe a bit lighter
you might get some info of the ,tinternet, look up ,dudley engineering,, they do kits to fit them into landrovers

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
v8dodger

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »

spanners, them  1900 diesels for a pug the turbo Joby's,  can it be pos to put   a turbo on the non turbo engine or could i  simply blow it up  or the head, i think its the xul /  xlu ! engine if iv got this the right way round. thanks  Smiley
The North

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »

XUD peugeot 1905cc will bolt where the 1900 DW8 lives in a pilot 200, so you should be able to bolt a XUD turbo to a LT77 or R380 box with zero complications. Mounts are your only concern, NO complicated ECU on the 405 turbos but 406s had them. The HDI DW10 2 litre will physically bolt in the same housing but had electronics a plenty to work out.  XUD better engine than DW8 and available cheap far better performance than fords any of them.
v8dodger

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »

XUD peugeot 1905cc will bolt where the 1900 DW8 lives in a pilot 200, so you should be able to bolt a XUD turbo to a LT77 or R380 box with zero complications. Mounts are your only concern, NO complicated ECU on the 405 turbos but 406s had them. The HDI DW10 2 litre will physically bolt in the same housing but had electronics a plenty to work out.  XUD better engine than DW8 and available cheap far better performance than fords any of them.
the non electric and  the fully complicated electronic engine was my next question, how to identify fie what had what. thanks  very daunting all of this

what i was asking   is would a  turbo  pump fit on a engine that was never made to have a pump, ie the  xud none turbo as im having problems finding  a fully turbo-ed engine, iv found plenty with out the pumps and was thinking of buying one and then fiting  a turbo however i was also thinking that it may not cope for reasons im not sure of but have  heard in the past some engines cant cope with add ons or conversion first with out allowing for it.. ie modifying the engine to accept the pump .

al this talk is for a trike  im removing the v8 and selling this and to make the trike a more every day trike, sticking a diesel on the back of the  vw box but cant be electronically controlled as the fly wheel will need mods to fit or i will have to use all the sub frame from the car.  which will wreck the look of the trike as the  wheels will be way further back than i need. also im not sure how to strip the ecu loom out and if it should go wrong no garage will read it as its a home built trike unless i can find a reader my self i know they are out there but some  dont read  certain  makes or models.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:10:22 PM by v8dodger » Logged
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »

I do have the adaptor to fit XUD/HDI Peugeot 1900-2100 and make it rear wheel drive, if you needed one. It was removed from an LDV van

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
v8dodger

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »

I do have the adaptor to fit XUD/HDI Peugeot 1900-2100 and make it rear wheel drive, if you needed one. It was removed from an LDV van
i dont think this will help me, thanks
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

i dont think this will help me, thanks

If you want to fit a Peugeot XU engine north and south you will need an adaptor of some sort. Peugeot diesel engines were fitted to LDV vans as Mr North has already said.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:41:41 PM by phunkie hiboy » Logged

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
The North

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

Phunkie is on to it right, you need that adapter off the back of the DW8 in an LDV to fit an XUD turbo or non turbo to the LT77/ R380 box. I presumed rightly or wrongly your V* would be a rover and running a LT77 manual  Huh. That would be easy enough.
 You cant just fit a turbo to a standaed engine it can be done low boost set up but wont perform like a proper turboed engine, lots of mods on them, oil feeds to underside of pistons turbo feed lower compression different pistons its endless and not practical to swap about like this. There are plenty of old 405s 309s 306s kicking about complete and running cheap to get you a up and running engine cables hoses rads brackets and lots of silly things you will need relays bits of loom everything you need, get a complete car scrap is doing OK and you will get rid of what you dont need when you have finished. You will need an LDV box if you have not got one, and it could perhaps be more practical to buy an LDV and use the non turbo DW8 at least it would get you away fast to a diesel, swap it out for a turbo if you need one that is in the fulness of time. But you will probably be ok with the non turbo.
  One other way to go is Corsa 1500 TD or 1700 D to a carlton box and go that way its doable seen it in little suzukis sj 410s and the like. What exactly is your set up now what box etc on the V8 etc.

v8dodger

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

its being bolted to a vw beatle box, but iv just had a cheep ofer of a copleat  engine  box drive shafts , in fact  alll of it to make a subframe based trike for 250 notes when one comes in ..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: