May 20, 2024, 11:30:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: stiffening tele forks  (Read 6222 times)
WAYNE999

« on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »

im not too sure what the front end of my bike came from but i think it needs stiffening up a bit is it just a matter of adding more oil finding stiffer springs or could i add slugs (not the type that eat your lettuce) into the forks to ad a bit of pre-load to the springs any help would be appreciated

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

Addding slugs just raises the ride height and oil seals will blow with more oil.

Stiffer springs or put coil overs on the outside of the fork tubes.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
WAYNE999

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:22 PM »

im a big cafe racer fan so the exterior springs sound good do we know where they can be sourced

Tony oily bike

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 07:41:09 AM »

im not too sure what the front end of my bike came from but i think it needs stiffening up a bit is it just a matter of adding more oil finding stiffer springs or could i add slugs (not the type that eat your lettuce) into the forks to ad a bit of pre-load to the springs any help would be appreciated

Fork oil comes in differnet viscosities, so the thicker the grade, the harder the ride, unfortunately simply 'adding more oil' isn't really the way to go....... depending on the age/use of the forks, there's the potential that the current oil has emulsified, if it has, it should be changed anyway (which can be a good excuse to relace the oil seals too).

A workshop manual usually gives spring length and other data, so if you're gonna replace springs, I'm guessing you'll need to know the make/model etc to work out what you need.

Don't know the details of forks you're talking about, as in they may or may not have adjustment for damping and rebound, which if they do, gives you a shed load of set-up options - if they do, have a chat with someone who has similar and who has a similar riding style for advice (if not, no options  Grin)

If the forks are flexing, a brace will 'stiffen them up', again, depends on the forks (age, model etc) as to whether a brace is available off the shelf or you have to make one.

Lotsa potential options matey.  Wink Wink
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:44:26 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
WAYNE999

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 08:06:30 AM »

thanks for the help sounds like an oil and seal change is on the cards

Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »

Yer wellcome...........

Don't forget to use the recommended amount of oil.

The Haynes books give the amount per leg in cc, and usually identify the viscosity too.  Wink

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »

Just to add my four penneth, As Tony says, there are lots of viscosities of fork oil. As I am a bit of a lump I generally go up 5 or 10 sae. This will reduce the rate at which the the fork compresses. If they are sitting low or dive excessively on braking you can fit progressive springs. It would be useful to know what forks we are talking about too. It is important to use the right amount of fork oil or it will blow by the seals in no time.
Hope this helps.
WAYNE999

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

id like to know what my forks came off if i cant find out is there a way of working out how much i need and im hovering around the 20 stone mark so should i use the heaviest oil i can find the pic is the bike in question if anyone recognises anything feel free to let me know

Hagar

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:36:42 AM »

if anyone recognises anything feel free to let me know

I cant be certain but that looks like  " flemish bond " in that wall  .....
   ( not helpful I know  ....  but some body had to break it to you ...)

..  Hagar  ..   Grin

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
WAYNE999

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »

thanks  Grin

kevsky

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »

Hagar my friend you are terribly encourageable
Keep up the good work

reality sucks thank god for religion
nabsim

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »

Lol Hagar, you are a gem matey, cheered my morning up just right Smiley

spanners

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »

,,,hagar,,  are you shure its ,flemish,,   and not  english  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Hagar

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »

,,,hagar,,  are you shure its ,flemish,,   and not  english  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The way it is today its probably  " Polish bond "  ......   Grin

..  Hagar  ..   Grin

( looks like stretcher bond ... but flemish sounds funnier  ....   Grin  )

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
spanners

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 12:58:42 AM »

poll-ack,s are like dog s-1t=====================everywhere and under youre feet..................

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: