May 18, 2024, 02:41:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565100 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2610 on: January 14, 2011, 10:31:23 PM »

And he suggested this -bearing in mind the steel plate will be painted black, same as the dash of course.
Any good?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Clive

« Reply #2611 on: January 14, 2011, 10:34:10 PM »

Either look so much better in my opinion Andy, but it's your motor! Smiley

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2612 on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »

You is a forum member & as such, your opinion matters to me matey. Loony was all set to fibreglass up the ignition hole & drill a smaller one for the switch, but I don't quite trust 'glass for high usage areas like that -I'd rather it was mounted in a metal plate. Think I'll go with the larger one, that encircles the speedo.
We tacked the air venty flap thing in it's final place on the bulkhead today, connected the hoses up & tested it with an air-line. Hurrah! It works.
I picked up a couple of door knobs from "Homebase" this morning, about 2 quid each. If you've ever doubted the strength of powder-coating, they were coated beige & it took me the best part of the morning to scrape & sand the coating off them. I'd assumed they were aluminium but they're steel, so now we'll have to clear lacquer them so they don't rust.
I drilled the first one & tapped an M6 thread into it & screwed in a 6mm bolt. Then drilled & tapped the end of the flappy thing operating rod & screwed the knob on.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:43:44 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2613 on: January 14, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »

Hooked back up to the vent, it looks like this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2614 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:27 PM »

Pull the knob out  Shocked  & the flap opens. Push it in & it snaps shut again. I'm actually quite suprised it all works, but it does. The flap has a sprung steel strip to hold it open, so needs a hard push on the knob to shut it. Also, because of the movement of the operating arm, the knob pulls out & slightly downwards from the dash when you open it, but that can't really be helped. I'll add a metal locating strap behind the dash with a guide tube for the rod to pass through, which will help a bit, plus a rubber grommet around the hole in the dash.
The second knob will replace the plastic one on the end of the choke cable, so we have a matched pair on the dash, one either side of the ignition.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:54:56 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #2615 on: January 14, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »

knob out, flap open!!!! my word!!!!

can you not glass up hole but have a washer on other side?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2616 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »

Yeah, but I actually quite like that covering plate now, so will go with that I think. Loony reckons it should be full of hotrod holes, but he'd pepper the whole car with 'em if he had his way. There's a second disc on the back of the ignition bit of the dash already.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #2617 on: January 15, 2011, 03:48:33 AM »

And he suggested this -bearing in mind the steel plate will be painted black, same as the dash of course.
Any good?

do that

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2618 on: January 15, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »

My vote goes to Loony's plate too!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
poprodder

« Reply #2619 on: January 15, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »

x2.

don't go much on your paint job on that dash andy!!!

hunter

« Reply #2620 on: January 15, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

Naa wrong color.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2621 on: January 15, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »

Oh. Not keen on the abstract paint look then?
I picked up the dash second hand at the NSRA swapmeet in Essex at least a year ago, maybe two. I originally bought a lovely Bakalite one from a Ford Prefect, complete with all it's original gauges, but decided it looked too posh for a truck, (Bakalite's a sort of early plastic, usually brown & has a grain in it like wood). I wanted the dash to be black anyway, so the fibreglass one's better suited for the job. Looks like someone's spilt a tin of red oxide primer on it at some point.
Just as well you lot like Loony's suggestion, as I spent all afternoon, drilling, filing & grinding it from a chunk of 3mm steel plate.
First I made a paper template, then drew around it onto the steel with a Tippex marker pen, then drilled a series of holes around the outside of the gauge hole, ("chain drilling"), before knocking the centre out & finishing off with a file.
The speedo was another swapmeet buy. 10 quid. Possibly Morris Oxford according to the seller. New old stock -it's never been used with only one test mile on the clock. I liked it cos it's chunky & simple -like me. It was missing it's fuel gauge unit but we've put in one from an old Austin Mini speedo I had, which was an exact match. We plan to put the truck through the test with an old Reliant fuel tank under the pick-up bed, then will swap it for a cylindrical Pop tank mounted in the bed later, so won't bother calibrating the fuel gauge till then.   

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2622 on: January 15, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »

It's a Smith's gauge, which is handy cos they can be recalibrated. We'll need to get that done so it reads correctly with the wheel size we're using. Normally an adaptor would be fitted on the drive cable to speed up or slow down the drive as required, but Smiths gauges are rebuildable, with different sized internal cogs. There are 3 warning lights set into the face of the speedo, for oil, ignition & indicators. We'll also need one for the high beam & one for the brake test button. I'll probably put those in the 2 remaining switch holes near the top of the dash. I've also got 4 Lucas flick switches to fit. They'll go in a line along the fluted centre strip, behind the steering wheel.
We started scraping off the thick red oxide with a razor blade & sanding the black paint back to it's original white gel coat. The top of the new gauge plate stands slightly proud of the curved dash top so rather than trying to bend the plate, we'll weld a small lip on it. Reminds me of the later 100e Ford Pops. Their headlight surrounds were a similar shape.
Now we're thinking it'd look great chrome plated -see what you lot have done!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:50:56 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2623 on: January 15, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »

The grey plastic windscreen demister tubes hooked up to the vents above the dash & the outside air intake.

SteveRedd

« Reply #2624 on: January 16, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »

I think the plate works well too, it's all coming togther now Andy

Growing up is Optional
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: