May 14, 2024, 06:11:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: swing arm pivots  (Read 16784 times)
v8dodger

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »

I realise there are different grades of Rose Joint ,and I know that that Zakboy uses the better type . I also realise they are used as joints for tie rods,4 bar systems etc etc. But unfortunately ,when I look at that single rose joint on each side of a swing arm ,I worry that its the only thing holding it all together there! Just me I suppose! Grin
im with you on this as well rod as iv put some on mine and have a small amount of flex still, only  a 1 or 2 mm at the very most, but i dont no if this is  acceptable or not, i do know that doing my  bearings will hold the lode as well but as zac say we are amateur builders and im not exempt from this there could and probably is some misalignments in my frame,  so after talking to the mrs we  felt we will give  the rose joints a crack BUT AND A BIGER BB UU TT   if i feel they are no good or handle reel bad due to the flex that  i had with the cheepys, i iwll  hard tail it and chop the  hek out of it. iv been asking this on other forums with out naming were the debate has come from and some say no but dont know why and some like rob 60 something say yes, also the harley bike co build  stabilizers with rose joints as well so  yes and no. try it and see i recon. can always hardtail it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:48:16 PM by v8dodger » Logged
v8dodger

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »

So were they for or against rose Joints?
against but did not know why one also added dont build a conversion there dangerous. Undecided
terry t

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »

All of the above method's have been well used and tried out.
rose joints by zac.  silentbloc by morrag and doc. or the good old existing swing arm modified and using there original pivot points. they all serve the same purpose to hold the rear wheels axle to the frame. and your welding skills will be tested. as seen by docs there is a lot of torque and stress on these
zakboy

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »

well im saying no more on the subject but some of the comments hear are laughable 

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
rob62

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »

against but did not know why one also added dont build a conversion there dangerous.

probably because there are some shokingly built conversions out there that ARE bloody dangerous
v8dodger

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »

yup was reading some threads on 100% biker and some one was being told to breas up or die, or words to them efects.
v8dodger

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »

i found this and there are some alternatives i think, that do the same sort of thing,  need to read it my self looks reel intresting.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring2008/joints.htm
v8dodger

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

found a thread  about the use and lubing pionts of them.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/archive/index.php/t-44397.html

this will keep you busy rod
v8dodger

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »

iv got one more for you.
http://www.astbearings.com/rod-ends.html

they do bushings as well
v8dodger

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »

here are rod have a look at this- http://www.britchopper.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36817

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

Erm, it might be worthwhile considering the difference between the opposing forces that allow Panhard rods and four bar links to work so effectively on a four wheeled vehicle but not on a vehicle having a single front wheel!! unfortunately the Laws of Physics gets in the way of what might seem a good wheez!!! this applies to anti-roll bars for the same set of laws!! Shocked Shocked Shocked.....|Morrag, hey, but it looks pretty!!

Beware the Ides of March, But!
v8dodger

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »

some has done it .http://www.britchopper.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=26802
so what you recon on this then Smiley
ROD

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »

So,Ive been looking at alternatives (again! Grin) As I thought,Metalastic bushes (or silentbloc ) work by trapping the outer steel tube in the arm,and the inner tube is clamped up by the bolt passing through it. Therefore the actual rubber part of the bush is 'twisting' when the arm moves up/down. Poly bushes seem to have varying comments for good/bad. They use 2 types of bush,one is a bonded centre tube,this works much like the silentbloc ones. The others are designed to have the centre tube,which is 'trapped' by the tightened bolt, rotate in the outer bush,which is a force fit into the outer tube on the arm etc.Ive been looking at oillite  bushes,but cant find any ground steel bar which will be a perfect fit in the bushes.Then theres the ball race,or needle rollers type,but Im not sure how the inner dimensions of these compare to stock bolts/bar that is generally available.Silver steel appears to have tight diameter  tolerances and is cheap,but apparently needs hardening after it has been worked, ie threaded on each end.Im not sure what diameter tolerances high tensile bolts are made to.
Olds

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »

Have you had a look at how Morgan do it? Similar set up?  Car style gear box to a short prop driving a bevel box and belt final drive and motorcycle style swing arm only they are using twin shock.
Just a thought.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
ROD

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »

Im now going to use twin shocks,one either side of swingarm, as the mono shock I got from OAB hasnt got enuf travel to work horizontally over the wheel.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: