May 14, 2024, 04:32:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Brant's Virago trike  (Read 16943 times)
steve brock

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

Personally I think that works brant, but I think in theory it should be independent to truely work well? Isn't that in theory a u shape joined at the top to your swing arm points with a shock at each corner of the u ,if you know wot I mean.. surely the stress goes back to the swing arm points? The axle effectively twists the u shape ... Ummmmm but as I said it looks like it should work if fact it looks very well Smiley

Steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with..
zakboy

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »

i gusse your right steve, if somthing  looks like it will work it will  Roll Eyes... but in theory the more up right they are the more effective the compression, even with irs its not that straight forward you still need to acount for the lean to get good hadling on cornering ......... as i stated this is only my own view and is not sugesting that brants set up will not work for him
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:49:37 PM by zakboy » Logged

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
steve brock

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »

I know how to set up independent suspension on 4 wd race cars but this type I have no clue as it's a bit how should we say agricultural ... Lol

Steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with..
zakboy

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »

irs on a trike will work  pretty much the same as on a car  and a car on connering leans away from the turn you dont want that on a trike so that needs to be acounted for when using irs on a trike just my own opinion again,i think with trikes just the nature of having three wheels especially with bike trikes using telescopic folks  and solid axle dose not in theory work very well, iv ridden a few trikes over the years and most of them i would not want to own its like a breath of fresh when you can get on a trike and can honestly say it is a plessure to ride, so i  prefer to  set out with that in mind and get the best ride i can a long with safty that comes first for me .......becuse i like to ride hard....... and a lot  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:33:30 PM by zakboy » Logged

nabsim

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »

My VW has IRS on the rear Zac and although I didn't get very long riding it before the engine went I didn't notice anything wrong on corners. Out here on the stick they can be very sharp as well. A mate in Buxton has a right fancy IRS set-up built by Weaver engineering, he definately goes an awful lot quicker (big Kwak engine with custom FI) than I ever would. Why do you say it would be a problem on a trike?

Cabman77

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »

mathematically speaking I think that trikes defy all the rules anyway so as Andy always says "Suck it and see"  Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
zakboy

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »

My VW has IRS on the rear Zac and although I didn't get very long riding it before the engine went I didn't notice anything wrong on corners. Out here on the stick they can be very sharp as well. A mate in Buxton has a right fancy IRS set-up built by Weaver engineering, he definately goes an awful lot quicker (big Kwak engine with custom FI) than I ever would. Why do you say it would be a problem on a trike?
I'm not saying that IRS wont or dose not work nabsim or is a problem, only that it needs to be done right i was pointing out that you have to account for the lean,and it is not just a case of fitting IRS on the back of a bike and throwing two standard bike springs at it. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:01:00 PM by zakboy » Logged

Brant

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2011, 09:41:46 PM »

Didn't expect my little contribution on suspension to bounce along as it did.  Good to know though that we're all free thinking individuals.  One size don't fit all!

Virago build cont:-

Axle diff. torque reaction.  Simple ‘U’ bolt round the diff nose with bracket to frame does it for me.

Lighting.  Bike came without indicators so fitted LED’s and am particularly fond of the chrome stalks incorporating rear, brake and indicator lights.  Mudguard marker lights are sold as number plate lights but boy, are they good and bright!

Mudguards. Bought off ebay (where else?) but found them lightweight.  Spoke with seller who turned out to be one of the good guys and sent me extra fibreglass matting (free).  Couple of extra layers inside made huge difference.

Exhaust.  The original was in good nick so used it.  Silencers had to move back a few inches to clear the trailing arm so I made and straight extension for the front pipe then cut the rear pot down pipe and welded in a new piece to mate up.  Bit fiddly but works OK and though underslung the frame it’s no lower than the engine sump so the ground clearance is acceptable.

Paint.  I wanted an understated look for tank and mudguards so settled on satin black to contrast with the Virago chrome and aluminium.  First type of paint I tried was too easily marked so over-sprayed it with Hammerite rattle can satin black.  Much better!
Brant

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2011, 09:42:28 PM »

Brant

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

Brant

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2011, 09:47:27 PM »

Virago build cont:-

Does it work?  Well, I’d never driven a trike before and first time out it was definitely a brown trouser job!  Now I’m more used to it and find that actually it does stick to the tarmac rather well.  Big grins every time out. 

What did I do wrong?  Lots, but in particular if I do it again I’ll spend a more initially to buy a bike having all mechanical/ electrical systems complete and in good order.  I gambolled on a non runner and was lucky to find a really good engine (was told Virago motors unbreakable and it seems to be true).  The electrics however were a nightmare and the previous owner had stripped away all non-essentials (Rat style?).  New starter motor and starter motor clutch hellishly expensive (buy from USA is often cheaper) and things like replacement battery, lights, mirrors and the like soon add up the pennies.

Piccy of the memsahib on the trike in recognition for many cups of tea, deafness when the air was blue and for being all round good egg.

The end.
Brant

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »

Brant

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »

zakboy

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »

very well done Brant sits very nice with some nice touches, think the virago makes a great trike, just go out and put some miles on it and enjoy  Cool Cool Cool

Brant

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »

very well done Brant sits very nice with some nice touches, think the virago makes a great trike, just go out and put some miles on it and enjoy  Cool Cool Cool

Thanks Zak.

I agree on the Virago.  Very stable platform, seems to have acceptable fork trail angle so no shakes and good straight line steering (though a little heavy on the bends perhaps?), rock solid motor.

Don't know when, depends on this, that and the weather, but I shall be triking out to Burton-on-trent eventually and when I do I'll try to get out your way so's you can try it out.  Be pleased to have your opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: