May 05, 2024, 10:21:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555596 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1965 on: April 11, 2010, 05:30:52 PM »

It ain't that pretty up close mate. Still lots of bodywork to sort out & most of the chassis is still only welded on the top face -once everything's in place we'll strip it all down, (I reckon it'll only take an afternoon), & roll it over to fully weld everything.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1966 on: April 14, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »

With the back end more or less complete & just waiting on Loony to add the sheetmetal, I've started working my way forwards again. Before he can plan the floor & bulkhead, I need to fit any interior stuff, like pedals & handbrake etc. The bodyshell's only tacked in place on the chassis, so we'll have to start thinking about body mounts too.
The brake pedal & master cylinder are already sorted. Just waiting on Stafford Vehicle Components to supply the hanging bracket for the remote servo & we can plumb the brakes in. The brake pedal comes up through the floor, (or will do once we've actually got a floor), but we decided it was easier to make a pendulum throttle pedal that will hang from the bulkhead. Actually it'll be mounted in a piece of box section, same as the brake one, & hung from the side of the framework that loops under the dashboard. The exhaust system will run under the floor, alongside the chassis rails, so a floor mounted thottle pedal would get in the way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:49:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1967 on: April 14, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »

We're trying to recycle as much of the original Pop as we can, not because we're trendy green tree hugger types, but because it saves us buying stuff & also cos it's just kinda cool to adapt & re-use the old parts. So I took the remains of the pedals, left over from making the brake one & cut them up.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1968 on: April 14, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »

Obviously it'd be nice if the 2 pedals are roughly the same height & end up the same distance from my feet, so I shortened the cut up bits & turned the end around to produce this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1969 on: April 14, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »

Looks a bit odd turning through so many different angles, but no more so than the original did.
Then I bolted on the end plate & thick rubber "Bulls Eye" pad, supplied by Chris of "Pop Browns", to match the other pedal.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1970 on: April 14, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »

It needs a short arm above the pivot point, for the throttle cable to attach to, so that it's pulled when the pedal is pressed. So I re-used another part from the original Pop set-up. No idea of the pedal ratio -I tend to work by the try it & see method. The cable appears to move about 2 inches between fully closed & open so hopefully this'll work.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1971 on: April 14, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »

Once it's fitted to the framework under the dash, the pedal should end up level with the brake one & more or less symetrical to it, the other side of the steering column, as the pedal arm is angled out to one side.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1972 on: April 14, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »

We'll need to fit a throttle pedal return spring, which Pop Browns also sell, to help lift the heavy pedal to it's resting point. On my way home from Loony's place, I dropped the pedal & a short piece of box section at my mate Reg's house. With luck he'll use the lathe in his shed to produce some bronze or brass pedal bushes, plus a pinch bolt fitting to attach the cable to the pedal arm.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1973 on: April 14, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »

While I wait for him to do that, I'm going to re-work the steering column drop. I haven't been happy with this since I made it -far too chunky & industrial, even if it is going in an old truck.
The steering wheel sits at the right height & the other end attaches to the knuckle joints & steering box fine, so I need to re-make the drop mount to the same length as the old one.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1974 on: April 14, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »

I thought it had to clamp around the column, but after checking out other people's cars at shows, most seem to weld tabs directly to the column outer sleeve & bolt the drop bracket to that. So I chopped up my original clunky clamp thing & we'll weld the 2 clamp halves around the column outer sleeve. That should give us something beefier to weld a tab to.
I'll re-use the arms I made before, bolted to the same tabs under the dash, but bring them in tighter together & weld a mounting tab to the point where they meet. I'll probaly make new tabs with 2 bolt holes rather than 1, so the column can't swing from it's mount.

panthershaun

« Reply #1975 on: April 14, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »

looking good mate  Cool racing ahead I see  Cry received my piggy box from Plasticpig today so off up the barn sunday for some major playing around  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1976 on: April 14, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »

Can't beat a bit of playing around in the shed Shaun.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1977 on: April 17, 2010, 07:32:41 PM »

Old clamp halves welded around the shortened Moggy Minor steering column outer sleeve. You can see the collapsible section from a VW Beetle I added to the bottom of the column. Not required for the commercial vehicle SVA test, but not a bad idea anyway.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:36:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1978 on: April 17, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »

That gave us somewhere solid to weld a new mounting tab to.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1979 on: April 17, 2010, 07:43:13 PM »

Then I cut down the arms I made before & we tacked them to another tab. Next I'll cut a triangular infill plate & weld it all together.

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: