May 20, 2024, 03:13:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554688 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #795 on: August 29, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »

They will be mate..don't give yourself deadlines..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #796 on: October 02, 2015, 10:01:44 PM »

A parcel arrived by courier at 7.o.clock yesterday evening. A new saddle to replace the one I damaged a few weeks ago. It's A "Western Eagle" solo seat from the States, the same as before, but they don't seem to make the one I had any more. This one's slightly smaller & not as curvy, but is in "tuck n roll", pleated vinyl, which will match the seats in my truck.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #797 on: October 02, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »

I really liked the previous saddle, so asked Phil the upholsterer to try & repair the tear in it. He did a good job, but I just wasn't happy with it, so decided to replace it. This one sits a little higher, so I might end up fitting shorter springs. It's fine, but will take some getting used to after the ultra low one I had before.
Archie's bought the old one from me for his budget chop project.

Photos taken in very dim light with my phone.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #798 on: October 02, 2015, 10:07:25 PM »

The forks are out at the moment cos I replaced the seals, then decided to powder-coat the headlight & it's mounts black, to match the truck lights.

Olds

« Reply #799 on: October 04, 2015, 06:39:29 AM »

Looks nice, now put a cover on it, or better still, stick it in a box, till the bikes finished.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
merv

« Reply #800 on: October 04, 2015, 08:14:57 AM »

Looks nice, now put a cover on it, or better still, stick it in a box, till the bikes finished.

What Olds said, you don't want to keep spending hard earned money replacing things that get damaged   

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #801 on: October 04, 2015, 08:28:31 AM »

And don't forget to spray some wd40 over your bits (ooh er ! ) to protect em from the cold weather ,don't want em going rusty ? Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
goose

« Reply #802 on: October 09, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »

looking very nice andy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #803 on: October 12, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »

Right hand side casing's been off to re-fit the oil pump, (I dismantled it when the casings were sent away for engraving). Also replaced the oil strainer & refitted the cover with a new gasket. Everything looks fine in the bottom end so I'm not going to pull it apart if it doesn't need it.
I've fitted the twin lead coil under the seat -not the original XS one, but it was on the bike when I bought it. I used a pair of inline suppressors to join the original HT lead to the new cloth braided ones & fitted new caps & plugs. The vintage style cloth covered HT lead is the same as used on my truck, (green with a red fleck). I had 2 offcuts of it left over & they turned out to be almost exactly the right length. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #804 on: October 12, 2015, 07:43:32 PM »

Rear light's back together & on, though I managed to scrape the black powder-coat in the process. I've touched it back in with black paint, which will hopefully polish out & not show. It's a reproduction vintage Chevy truck light. Mr Olds kindly extended the wires for me as I haven't got a soldering iron -they run inside the frame tube to the battery box under the seat. It's supposed to earth through the body, but as everything's powder-coated now, I'm not sure it will. May have to run a separate earth, or scrape off some coating when it comes to wiring it up.
At some point while my brother was raking the headstock or Pete was hardtailing the back end, the upright tube behind the engine's moved about 5mm. Not a huge problem, everything's still nice & true, but it means the rear engine mounting plates don't fit. So I spent this afternoon cutting a new pair. Once I know they fit I'll get them coated.
The saddle's growing on me now I've got it properly fitted, but can't really try it out till I've got the front end back in.

spanners

« Reply #805 on: October 13, 2015, 12:14:28 AM »

thats some bike ,, so good i want one  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Olds

« Reply #806 on: October 13, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »

Coming along well Andy. Love the simplicity of this bike.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:07:51 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #807 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »

Smiley Determined it'll be my last bike build, so just want a good, solid, reliable ride. Nothing too fancy or fussy. Something I can just jump on & go.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #808 on: October 14, 2015, 06:46:57 PM »

A bit more tinkering today. If my truck's not ready for the Dutch hotrod show in November, this'll be Plan B. I'll rent a van & take the bike to display instead. So it needs to at least look like a complete bike, rather than a box of bits propped together in the exhibition hall.
Every job I start seems to involve having to drive across town to Loony's workshop to pick up a tool, or drive across town in the other direction to buy nuts & bolts etc. Slow progress, but getting there.
I decided to shorten the rear mudguard as much as I could cos I really like the look of the bike with no guards at all, but don't want the hassle of being pulled over for not having them. Ended up slicing 3" off it -any more & the number plate would be horizontal & unreadable. I cut it from the front end, so that I kept the rear mounting holes & wired rear edge on the guard. It's made of aluminium, (hand made by a guy in Oxford, who made the similar guards on my truck). The powder-coaters can coat ali', but have to warm it in the oven, then spray a light coat of powder on to it, so that it partially melts, then a heavier coat over the top. Normally works, but this time it ended up wrinkling & sagging. So I've rubbed it back with 180 & 400 grit wet n dry & Mr Loon will spray it in 2 pack gloss black.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #809 on: October 14, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »

I was going to replace the guard support with curved rods, but quite like it as it is. It matches the front one. Sits more upright than it used to though, because I've shortened the guard, so now it will foul the brake caliper. I can cut a section out of the front hoop though & replace it with an S bend.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: