May 15, 2024, 08:57:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: White poppies  (Read 3946 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: June 13, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »

Been driving past these for the last couple of weeks now -several fields of white poppies, just outside Basingstoke, Hants on the A339. They appear to be cultivated, rather than just growing wild. Any idea what they're used for?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »

mouse

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:01:50 AM »

no idea what there used for andy but it looks lovely
googled it and found this andy  Grin
White poppy seeds are used in Indian cooking and add thickness, texture and flavor to sauces. Less sweet than blue poppy seeds, they are also used in lentil and rice dishes. To help in the tough process of grinding poppy seeds, dry roast them first (which enhances their flavor as well) and then buzz them in a coffee grinder or spice mill. To make a paste, soak the seeds in water for 2-3 hours and then process in a blender with a touch of the liquid. Refrigerate or freeze poppy seeds to maintain freshness.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:09:31 AM by mouse » Logged

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
panthershaun

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »

when the petals fall Andy, could you crab me a few stalks so I can get the seeds please, love poppies and grow several varieties here  Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Mr_G

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:38:58 AM »

Opium harvest?

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »

No, they're purple!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »

You should've gone to SpecSavers Bobbi -they're definitely white  Grin
I'm not a horticulturist Shaun -I just like flowers  Smiley Do you have to wait for the petals to fall or could I pinch a couple for you now? No idea when they'd be harvested or whether there'd be stalks left. Although you can see them from the road, I had to crawl on my hands & knees through a gap in the hedge to get those photos!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:23:05 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

tazet
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »

They are not opium ones for sure. Opium poppies have much bigger flowers and many more rows of petals. My mum has grown them but this country does not get hot enough to get proper opium out of them.

Shaun I have a plastic bag full of poppy seeds of various types. I could post some to you if you want. I'll give the Manky one lessons on what to look out for as I would love some seeds from these too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:24:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:58:11 PM »

Opium harvest?
No, they're purple!
- the opium ones!

Well I thought they were it seems they can be many colours!
Opium poppy is an easily grown garden ornamental. It is an annual, happy growing anywhere sunny outside. Poppies have brilliantly coloured flowers in all shades of pink, red, lilac, purple or white.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »

So do you think these are being grown for the Indian food market then? Or are there other uses for them?

tazet
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 08:46:07 PM »

Possibly the food chain as you can get bread with poppy seeds on and all sorts of other things
panthershaun

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

They are not opium ones for sure. Opium poppies have much bigger flowers and many more rows of petals. My mum has grown them but this country does not get hot enough to get proper opium out of them.

Shaun I have a plastic bag full of poppy seeds of various types. I could post some to you if you want. I'll give the Manky one lessons on what to look out for as I would love some seeds from these too.

yes please  Grin Grin Grin if they are being harvested for the food trade they will not harvest until the petals have dropped and the stems are starting to dry, so if you crawl into the field around then Andy Wink Wink Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »

Will do my best Sir.

klogan45

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 08:12:36 PM »

Opium Poppy

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: