May 15, 2024, 01:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheels Day 40th Anniversary - Dunsfold, Good Friday April 18th 2014  (Read 20481 times)
Tony oily bike

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 11:04:12 AM »

Its always difficult putting on an event....... estimating the number of attendees, finding volunteers, trying to structure things without being too prescriptive, deciding what should/shouldn't be in the show area as the masses arrive etc etc.

So I'll start by thanking, and congratulating, the SSR for their WD40! (have been to a 'few', think my first WD was around late 70's).
The SSR will be aware of what went well, and where improvements can be made, after all, its the first show at this 'new' venue, so I'll wish them good fortune for WD41.

Queued from the A281 near Barnhurst Lane, and entered the site from the northerly Stovolds Hill entrance, arriving about 9.15. Got parked up and went a wandering (as ya do).

The vehicle that impressed me most was the Allard dragster which has recently undergone a full restoration.
http://www.allardregister.org/dragster/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Allard

To say this car has history (and significance with respect to drag racing) would be an understatement and a half. In essence, Sydney Allard managed to start the British drag racing scene back in the 60's.

Another vehicle that 'floated my boat' was seeing Nick Butler’s infamous mid 70's "Revenge"   http://www.nick-butler.co.uk/revenge.html drive (rumble) onto site.
Remember opening the then new-issue of Custom Car (March 1977 issue - way back when) and seeing this for the first time…… what a machine!

Bumped in to Archie and his lady friend, Manky and MrBayChimp, and said hello to Derek working hard at his DuelFuel food outlet (good food and quick service my friend, thanks!).

Wandered round the vehicles, took a few snaps (some including vehicles that Rick has shown)

Revenge

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:17:56 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »

The Allard dragster - glorious!

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »

Rick showed this MkI 4 door, but reckon its worth showing again as it was soooo clean (in all aspects). A very tidy machine.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »

Henry's brother

Tony oily bike

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »

Photo says it all..............

Tony oily bike

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

Tidy

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »

Followed Tony's link to the page about Henry Allard and saw my Dad's old car!  - well no it wasn't cos his was blue, but he had one like this when I was about 9 - bit of a petrolhead, my dad, no wonder I like motors!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »

Grin
Seeing "Revenge" again in the flesh was the highlight of the day for me too. Took me straight back to seeing it at Blackbushe airport drags in the late 70s. The present owner's done a fabulous job of refurbishing it, though for me, it will always be remembered in it's original green paint. BayChimp & I were lucky enough to watch it fire up & drive out at the end of the day, the owner giving it a good blip of the throttle as he left the show area. Perfect.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:28:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 10:04:15 PM »

I've never noticed Nick Butler, (the original builder)'s name cut into the rear window surround before. was it always there?

JayJay

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »

Did anyone wonder about Rick's photo (shown again below) or did you all know what is was?

Well for those like me who didn't know, it is one of those drones that they have been talking about in the press. I am assuming someone was using it to take photos of the event rather than the police recording the event looking for any law breaking.

Still, very Big Brother either way. An eye in the sky could be recording things you don't want recorded (like the bloke having a wee up against his van).

Anyway, if you see one hovering outside your bedroom window, you will at least have no doubts about what it is.  Shocked

JJ Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Tony oily bike

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »

I've never noticed Nick Butler, (the original builder)'s name cut into the rear window surround before. was it always there?

I think so..... looking at Nick's site, there's a photo that clearly shows it.

http://www.nick-butler.co.uk/revenge.html

To confirm, dig out a copy of March 1977's Custom Car, as that's when it was featured.

Saw Revenge being driven down Guildford High Street (used to be a two way road) back in the 70's or early 80's, and asked he driver if he was going to the Blackbushe the following weekend. Guess it was Nick driving it back then............

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »

Smiley Yup, saw the hovery thing JJ. There was also a photographer taking pics of cars arriving, then displaying them within a few minutes at his stall on the showground. Ain't technology wonderful.

Galaxie500

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »

I had a great day on Friday. After a bit of a slow start involving 40 minutes sat by the gate waiting to be allowed in, but after that the day went very quickly. I didn't get to see much of the show, far to busy talking to everyone. Being by the entranced helped as I could watch all the vehicles that rolled past the stall Smiley
It was great to catch up with some of the guys that popped over to say hello.

I've read a lot of negative comments on various forums, but I say well done SSR. It can't be easy organising the logistics of a show of this size. I think all the people who complain should thinking about volunteering to help next year Smiley

Nathan
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:13 PM »

ssr responce to wheelsday 2014

Wheels Day

The 40th Wheels Day was not as the Surrey Street Rodders would have wished.

We anticipated an attendance of 6,000 people which would have been an increase of 50% of our best ever Wheels Day. Dunsfold Park has informed us the actual number on Good Friday was in excess of 18,000. We are sorry for the problems this unprecedented turnout of vehicles caused.

At one point we did stop charging entry, in order to get as many people as possible on site and try to alleviate the 12 mile traffic jam. Since the show a tirade of negative forum postings, abusive phone calls, emails and now accusations of inappropriate dealings with Wheels Day money have led to the following decision.

There will be no more Wheels Day in its present form.

The Surrey Street Rodders would like to thank everybody who has supported us in the past 40 years and helped so many charities; you are a credit to our hobby

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
JayJay

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »

That is a shame and the SSRs do not deserve this treatment. I really feel for them and I even e-mailed them the other day telling them to ignore all the moaning and abuse and to say that even though there were some problems, the club did well to organize so many in a new location. I also told them that the feedback on Manky had been positive and appreciative.

I don't think anyone would say this Wheels' Day was perfect but equally, no one should have expected perfection in a new venue.

I have been going to Wheels' Day for the past 5 years and have really enjoyed it, even when it has poured down, and even though Dunsfold paled in comparison to Rushmoor, it was still a good day and I would have gone again next year.

The one thing that really shocks me, is the accusations about the money. I do worry about that with one or two events but never Wheels' Day.

JJ  Angry
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:38:35 PM by JayJay » Logged

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: