May 07, 2024, 09:45:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TWOLANES mopar nats report  (Read 1058 times)
twolanes

PRO ET/571

« on: July 30, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »

Left home at 2am friday and took an easy drive to Santa pod. I was going to visit some old mates who live near the pod but i forgot to take there phone number and address with me (doh), arrived at 7.15 & was behind about 20 others who had been there all night.Pete/Pet & Paul arrived about 7.45. The gates opened about 9.00, pitched up in our usual spot under the finish lights and started putting up the race car garage and getting unloaded (amazing how much stuff the bus holds).James & Steff arrived. As soon as the kitchen tent was up Pet got on with the important job (putting the kettle on).Signing on was meant to be at 1pm but was nearer 1.30, only got in a couple of runs on friday & with the heat everyones times were down (best we could do all weekend was 9.6), had my wildest ride ever in the altered, they put us in the left hand lane & every time i got on the gas pedel the back end stepped out, was on & off it loads of times, still managed nearly 130mph though (was like driving the charger in the rain).My mate Dave was there as photographer for 1 of the national mags so i had a word with him about doing a team photo for our sponsors, he managed to get the use of the start line after the track had closed, the track crew even left the tree (start lights) up for us, & the photo came out better than we could have dreamed of. Friday evening walked down to the beer tent, but i was so tired didnt stay long.Saturday arrived and was as hot as friday, done a couple of runs then went over to see our mate Bob who imported a 1968 dodge super bee 2 weeks ago, the conversation went something like this, "Hi Bob hows the car going", "Hi Dave,it going good, do you want to give it its 1st run on nitrous?". Well i thought, its a dirty job but someones got to do it  Wink. I took it over to where we had pitted to give it a once over and grabbed my crew,the seat was non adjustable so had to put loads of sirts/towels/jackets behind me so i could get the gas peddle down, 1st run was nothing to write home about, 2nd run gave us a ticket speed of 145 MPH at the top end  Shocked. (this car is a bit serious), again didnt get many runs in as the track kept on closing for oil downs etc.Spent saturday eve sat around in the pits, we had a perfect view of the fireworks show, which was pretty spectacular, got to bed at 2.30am.Sunday arrived and it was much cooler than friday/saturday, but by 8.30/9.00 it was as hot as ever, think we got in 2 runs in each car but times were down again in both.Andy & Taz popped over to say hi, but as usual i didnt have a lot of time to chat (sorry guys) Got to say the track organisation was a total joke & i would think our premier track in europe could do a lot better (saturday we spent the best part of 2 hours lining up for a run). The organising of the meet itself was FANTASTIC and proved why its the best muscle car meet in europe. I would like to take this chance to thank all my crew for doing all the hard work so i can have all the fun, also BIG thanks to Bob for letting me loose in his awsome dodge.There is so much i have forgoten but will add more as & when i remember it. We will be running both cars at the hotrod drags at Avon park soon, so if your there come over and say hi.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »

Nice write-up Dave. Thank you. We'll reprint that as the write-up for the photo galleries.  Wink We can update it as & when you remember more details! Didn't get to see you run at the Pod, but both cars looked immaculately turned out & Team Stinger always seems very enthusiastic & supportive. We'll catch up with you again at the hotrod Drags.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: