May 07, 2024, 01:40:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 35th Billing Aquadrome rod weekend 1 -3 June '07  (Read 11769 times)
tazet
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 06:08:25 AM »

Where are you going to put all that Shaun. You will definitely need to move at that rate.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 06:07:16 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged
panthershaun

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2007, 07:57:55 AM »

Well the Pops on the drive along with the Land Rover, BSA is sitting on blocks in the garage and the trike and Indian are in bits on various shelves in the garage oh and the roadster is the easiest to store as that is still in my head Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »

The projects in my head change on a daily basis so good job there's plenty of empty storage space in there for them.  Tongue
Have finally persuaded myself it's OK to build a pick up from my Pop now. Been speaking to Brock about it, who's far more clued up on the mechanics of it all than I am. Trouble is, every time he starts going into detail, it sounds like a scarily big job.
Brock spends a lot of time on American rod sites & tells me the rusty ratrod look's on the way out, so it'll be this Ford green for me, with the original brown leather & bakalite interior.
I've built a pick up from a Moggy Minor van before but that was just a matter of swapping body panels then building a pick up bed from scratch. Shoved a Fiat twin cam engine in it, but again, quite a simple operation. Never built a proper rod from the ground up or tried a roof chop or channelling etc. A bit worried I'll botch it up & ruin a good car. Think I'll be spending a lot of time in the Pop section of the Billing show n shine on Sunday.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
panthershaun

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

I think Brocks right, that is why I'm leaving the "Rat Rod" look to the original Low Flyers and going for a low tech utility look with mine, with that I mean a matt ****** paint job and very little chrome but I want the car to look sound and not just another barn find.
Andy I think the channel is easier than the chop, could always leave the roof standard height and get the lowness with the channel, your hardest part will be the cab back unless you get lucky like me and find an original steel Moggy back as for the pickup bed I don't think that will be a big problem for you as you can weld.
See you in the Pop section with your camera on Sunday Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »

Think that might be the easiest option. One of the previous owners has already filled the vinyl roof insert with a new steel panel & made a nice job of it, so would be a shame to cut it up again. I know you can buy fibreglass Moggy cab backs cos that's what I used on mine, but would much prefer steel. Getting rare now & priced accordingly though, (unless someone does steel repros that I don't know about. Maybe I should go & buy a copy of Minor Monthly & find out).
Brock & I talked about using the two curves at the top of the boot to form the top corners of a scratch built cab back, but not really sure how well they'd match up.
I'm trying to persuade him to come over to Lunatic's farmyard workshop & spend some time measuring up & swapping ideas. Actually what I want is for him to make the first cut so there's no going back!
I fancy something along these lines.

panthershaun

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2007, 09:38:41 AM »

this is channelled and not chopped

panthershaun

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »

and this guy has used Pop rear for pickup back, he should be at Billing on Sunday.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »

Hmm, the more I look at the first one, (I took loads of pics of it at the watford meet), the more I think the proportions aren't quite right. To me, it looks too long. Possibly just the nose. Maybe a standard Pop front end would look better. The wheels look too small as well. Just personal taste but I think it needs to be shorter & squatter.
Not convinced by the Pop cab back either. Thought about doing that & cut up some photos of your one to try it. Having seen it in metal it doesn't work for me. I think pick up cabs should drop straight down at the back rather than sloping like that. That looks more like the Ozzie Ford utes, which I'm not keen on. Brock was talking last night about kicking the chassis rails up behind the cab back to get the correct stance though, so nice to see it in practice. 

panthershaun

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 09:55:15 AM »

The first one's nose is far to long in my opinion and could still do with a roof chop and the second is a UTE copy. you could always go the same way as Desperate did.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »

Just checked Desperate's Morris in the Motors section. It's done the same way as the ute copy isn't it? A section cut out of the body & the rear shunted forward? With the Pop that gives that same sloping back. Maybe I should take another look at using the top corners of the boot to fabricate a new panel. Still just kicking ideas around until someone has the courage to point a hacksaw at the real thing!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:32:23 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »

I really like that "Plum Loco" pick-up. Sits just right.
Brock points out that the chassis rails have been kicked up in front & behind the cab to drop it low to the deck without losing legroom inside. Also has the effect of lifting the motor in the engine bay, which makes it look more imposing. I reckon this is the way to go, coupled with a sensible roofchop -Pop's have about 3 yards of headroom inside. How much does the average new car have? 3 or 4 inches? Could lose a couple of inches of empty space quite comfortably.
Shouldn't this Pop talk be in the Hotrod Tech bit?
Another pickup from the 07 Paso Robles show. What's the grille from? Looks like a vintage tractor.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:14:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

panthershaun

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »

I will move over to the correct section then boss Embarrassed Embarrassed

Wink Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2007, 06:16:31 AM »

Grin Grin

No point having a Hotrod tech section if we're going to hide all the hotrod chat here. Otherwise future builders who come looking for pearls of wisdom from we famous rod shop owners won't be able to find it. Tongue

tazet
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 06:44:38 AM »

What a fantastinc day and god was it hot. Wish I'd put sun lotion on my shoulders now  Sad Thank you so very much for driving Manky and I there yesterday Dave and I bet you slept well last night Smiley Good to see you there too Shaun sporting your flowery shirt as always  Grin
The best thing I thought were the Tot Rods they were ace and looked sooooo much fun. I want one now  Wink
tazet
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 12:30:30 PM »

Was looking through the pictures that rabid hampster had put on the NSRA forum and found these 2 pictures. 1 has our very own Manky in the background and the other has Shaun. See finally cought on camera  Grin

Sorry tried to enlarge but it goes all blury.
Pictures are not in number order  *  http://gallery86479.fotopic.net/c1294828.html  *
First Pic number 25 about 2/3 of the way down
Second pic number 73 about half way down
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:36:58 PM by tazet » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: