May 14, 2024, 07:35:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XJ600 N Oil cooler  (Read 2270 times)
klogan45

« on: June 22, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »

Some of you may know that I'm about to embark on converting an XJ600N into a reverse trike. I want to move the oil cooler so that its located on the front of the new front end. It will be about 3 feet away from its current location which is right next to the engine. I'll put a mesh grill in front of it for protection.The questions are.....

Will it be ok there?

Will the pump have enough grunt to circulate the oil?

What sort of tube/pipe should I use?

Thanks peeps
Regards
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »

Personal view on this one, worth seeing what other Monkeys suggest:

Yes it'll be OK there, but bear in mind what pivots when you operate the steering

Yes pump will have enough grunt so long as you don't put any sort of impedance in the line such as having it smaller diameter, or having lots of additional bends. Be careful of the unions you use to make the line so that they don't have a smaller bore flange/olive/union inside the union.

I've heard that hydraulic hose, like the type farmers use on their machinery, is suitable, but check with the people that supply that sort of stuff, as it'll be seeing engine oil (as opposed to hydraulic) and at elevated temperatures.

: Wink

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
klogan45

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »

Thanks for hat Tony, I'll be sure to make certain that nothing will 'snag' the line. Loads to do first but just thinking around possible problems so that I can sort them before they raise their ugly heads.
Regards
K

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:45 AM »

hydraulic oil is horrible stuff and does run hot, eat paint and more
i'd look at that hose

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
klogan45

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:48 PM »

Thanks chewie,
You know I've never even thought about that, but now you mention it it's really obvious Embarrassed put oil under pressure and pump it all over the place it would get hot. Probably never thought about it as i've never had reason to. I'm thinking that hydraulic hose is a great idea, flexible so will go where I want it to.
Regards
K
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:38:49 PM by klogan45 » Logged

spanners

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »

hydrualic hose is just about the toughest stuff you can get   it will withstand anything  at just about any tempreture

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
klogan45

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »

Thanks guys, hydraulic hose seems the right stuff to use.
Regards
K

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: