May 21, 2024, 11:34:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: dobbers trike  (Read 165092 times)
zakboy

« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »

Are you puting the clutch leaver on the bars or maybe thinking of puting it on the gear stick

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
dobber

« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »

love to put it on gear lever but sounds hard. was driving a automatic in Florida which had a release thing on lever to select, [squeezed it to allow gear change] felt really good. thought then it would be a nice idea. is there away to do it with an electric motor driving hydraulic fluid set up with a  variable switch.   perhaps?

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
zakboy

« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »

not sure about the hydraulic type set up, it doesn't seem that it should be difficult with cable or cable and rod but its one of those jobs you need to be in front of the trike to see the easyest and best way to do it unless I'm over looking some thing...... i think it would be better on the gear leaver be course you only need to use one hand to do two things pull the clutch in and change gear

dobber

« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2012, 09:56:18 PM »

custom made would probably be easier than trying to adapt the front lever.
anyone seen it done?.

zakboy

« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:58 PM »

its basicly just a leaver like you would have on your bars with a cable

nabsim

« Reply #350 on: February 02, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »

Dobber, when I was looking at this a while ago Thunderace reckoned a 12 volt servo motor would drive a hydraulic master cylinder no problem. You really need to do this with lever on shift cos I want to pinch your idea when you have done it Wink

dobber

« Reply #351 on: February 02, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »

thought about it nabsim and concluded that setting off with one hand on the bar [has to be right because of throttle] could be a bit suspect especially if you set off a bit sharp..
 gonna stick with the hand lever. interested in what you said, hows that work.  got to be my next job. only that and exhaust to do.

Clive

« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »

Am I being thick here, but if the clutch is on the bars, surely you'd need a third hand to change gear???

One hand, throttle, one hand clutch, one hand gear change?Huh?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
dobber

« Reply #353 on: February 03, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »

hi clive, if you have the clutch on the gear stick when you set off you would only have your right hand on the bars [throttle] left hand would be releasing the clutch on the gear lever. with a clutch on the handle bar like a bike you would engage gear with your right hand while holding clutch in with left and holding bars then right hand on bars [throttle] as well as left [clutch] for setting off as opposed to one hand on bars when setting off if clutch was on gear lever..

nabsim

« Reply #354 on: February 03, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »

Oh that sounds interesting Dobber. Mine have all had clutch on left foot not on bars. I do have a fancy twin lever setup but unfortunately the seals leak so cant use it at the moment. I was going to have clutch and front brake on that on the right hand, rear brake on left foot and hand change.

Thunderace made the electric servo with switch on gear lever sound real easy I just never got to try it Sad

hunter

« Reply #355 on: February 03, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

hi clive, if you have the clutch on the gear stick when you set off you would only have your right hand on the bars [throttle] left hand would be releasing the clutch on the gear lever. with a clutch on the handle bar like a bike you would engage gear with your right hand while holding clutch in with left and holding bars then right hand on bars [throttle] as well as left [clutch] for setting off as opposed to one hand on bars when setting off if clutch was on gear lever..

How are you going to change gear wile on the move,(throttle operation).
Sounds like it will be hard work.

I
zakboy

« Reply #356 on: February 03, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »

The clutch leaver would have to be on the gear shift, if its a must to have a hand operated clutch on the bars then you would need to have your accelerator on a foot pedal perhaps next to your foot brake like on your car

dobber

« Reply #357 on: February 03, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »

is it a legal thing?   i can change gear with right hand as you dont need the throttle working while you change gear.
clutch is allways on the left on a bike [except early stuff].
pull clutch in while leting go of throttle to change gear, hand back to throttle as other hands letting clutch out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:13:57 PM by dobber » Logged

zakboy

« Reply #358 on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »

Its OK while your pulling off  but once your in motion and gaining speed and going up and down the gear box you don't really one to be taking your hand off the throttle i think you use the throttle more than any thing to keep  momentum if thats the right word....... your constantly throttling on and off the power, so i think your hand needs to be on the throttle most of the time

dobber

« Reply #359 on: February 03, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »

know what you mean zakboy but  you wouldnt need to use the throttle while the clutch pulled in and changing gear.. thats the only time your hand wouldnt be on the bars.... only when in a gear would you need the power. [thinking  a foot clutch would be easier to make tho.
 has any one else got handle bar clutch?   curious now.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: