May 02, 2024, 03:51:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550422 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2400 on: June 03, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »

Lovely sunny Sunday morning. I'll nip down to the garage, fit the new clamps, tie some exhaust wadding around the front of the baffles with the stainless welding wire I've got & refit them, then take a ride out to the local monthly car & bike meeting this afternoon to road test it. Easy.
I've got a bag of 100 M6 Allen bolts -all 10mm too short to bolt the clamps on.
Using the bolts from the existing rear clamp to fit the front one, it pulls the pipes completely out of line at the back. I've loosened them at the cylinder head, but they're still not right. I'll have to loosely fit everything & gradually tighten it all & see how it looks.
I know I've got a reel of stainless welding wire, but can't find it in any of my 3 garages -spent an hour this morning driving back & forth across town to them all.
I hate this bloody bike. Determined. It to let it beat me, but I've never built anything that provokes me to tirades of shouted 4 letter swear words like this thing does.
I've shut the door & walked away from it for the day.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2401 on: June 03, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2402 on: June 03, 2018, 09:26:56 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2403 on: June 03, 2018, 09:27:41 AM »

JayJay

« Reply #2404 on: June 04, 2018, 12:49:16 AM »

Sometimes that's for the best otherwise your frustration is compounded and then you are likely to screw something up. I don't mean just you. I think everyone has a limit.  Smiley

Beautiful day as well. Good to get out and breathe in some fresh air. Oh, of course you're a postie, you do that most days. Get back in that garage!  Wink  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2405 on: June 04, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »

Yeah,stop whinging and get out and ride the dame thing.. Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
But in all honesty sometimes it's best to walk away..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2406 on: June 04, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »

...before I set fire to it.

Longer bolts bought this afternoon & a couple of 1.6mm stainless TIG welding rods given to me for free by Paul at Basingstoke Welding Supplies -hopefully flexible enough to wrap around a collar of exhaust wadding to stop the front end of the baffles rattling against the inside of the pipes, (unsecured wadding tends to get pushed down the pipes & bunch up at the far end).
Could've fitted it all this evening, but really couldn't be arsed. There's a local bike meet on Wednesday evening though, so I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2407 on: June 05, 2018, 06:15:50 AM »

Be nice to see a pic of you actually riding the Tattooed Frog ? ?
 Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #2408 on: June 05, 2018, 06:37:21 AM »

There's a local bike meet on Wednesday evening though, so I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Would that be the one local to me then Andy ?

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2409 on: June 05, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »

If you've moved to Alton, then yes Smiley
Archie tells me it's still going, but I haven't been there for at least 10 years.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2410 on: June 06, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »

So, back to the bike in a more positive frame of mind.
Loosened off the whole exhaust system, added the new clamps & gradually tightened it all again. Hopefully not under too much tension, so won't fracture anywhere -we'll see.
Tapping the side of the pipes, the rattle's gone. Great. Put the baffles back in -the rattle's back. O.K, so it's definitely the baffles against the inside of the pipe. Tried the TIG rod with some wadding, but the wire's too thick to twist around & secure the wadding & fit back in the pipe.
Tom's dropping off his safety wire pliers & stainless wire later, but I might try flaring the end of the baffle with a ball peen hammer first.
No, that's not an oil leak under the engine -it's a hole in the concrete garage floor Smiley
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:16:39 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2411 on: June 06, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »

Took a look at the speedo, which packed up after the first 20 miles. Sure enough, the inner cable's snapped. Too tight a bend. Not a major problem -I'll move it a little higher & mount it off the mudguard bolts. Just need to make a right angled tab & buy a bigger size of the chrome exhaust clamp to sit the speedo in.
Deep breath, tackle the problems one at a time. Getting there, slowly.

Archie

« Reply #2412 on: June 06, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »

Yeah Alton cafes still going although most people tend to go to loomies now after, but I find it a bit of a pain there. Should be a good turnout, it’s sunny over this way currently
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2413 on: June 06, 2018, 07:09:18 PM »

Unbelievable.
Set off for the bike meet. Stopped to fill up with fuel on the outskirts of town. Got about a mile down the Alton road & looked down to find the fuel cap missing. I definitely screwed it back in when I filled up, but didn't see or hear it go. Obviously, no sign of it on the road, (there never is when that happens, unless you spot it just in time to see a lorry run it over).
So the bike's back in the garage with the filler hole taped over until I can order a standard screw-in Harley cap to replace the very expensive pop-up one I used to own.
Oh, & the garage door lock jammed when I got back. Took me 20 minutes to free it off to put the bike away.
At what point do I give up?

Olds

« Reply #2414 on: June 06, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »

Perhaps a chain on the cap isn't such a bad idea. You can borrow one of mine for a few days if you want to use the bike.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:59:34 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: