May 20, 2024, 01:48:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: Deliverance  (Read 240701 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #540 on: February 01, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »

Looking forward to seeing it out & about again soon Dave.  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #541 on: February 01, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »

Looking forward to seeing it out & about again soon Dave.  Smiley
Looking forward to getting out on it again. Neck and arm seem to be getting better so hopefully soon.

just spin one and open up openings with the lettering Olds in some stylish font.

You mean like this ? Just a tester to check the former shape and work out the diameter of disk needed. Can't find a font that really works.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:19:09 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #542 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:42 PM »

Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
merv

« Reply #543 on: February 01, 2016, 11:17:28 PM »

Looking forward to seeing it out & about again soon Dave.  Smiley
Looking forward to getting out on it again. Neck and arm seem to be getting better so hopefully soon.

just spin one and open up openings with the lettering Olds in some stylish font.

You mean like this ? Just a tester to check the former shape and work out the diameter of disk needed. Can't find a font that really works.

What do you mean, just a tester and cant find a font that works, most people would be happy with that, oh well

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Sid_Vicious

« Reply #544 on: February 01, 2016, 11:47:58 PM »

I think it could be nice to mimic the font you used on the tank with maybe some extra small holes around for more air/sound to pass trough.

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
Olds

« Reply #545 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:18 AM »

I think it could be nice to mimic the font you used on the tank with maybe some extra small holes around for more air/sound to pass trough.
Have you been hacking my computer Sid?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:25:26 AM by Olds » Logged

Sid_Vicious

« Reply #546 on: February 03, 2016, 12:48:45 AM »

I'm not that good with computers, but you must have had the same ideas as I had about the horn.

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
Olds

« Reply #547 on: February 03, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »

Cheesy
Trying to concentrate on the car, so this will have to be relegated to being a future, 'I'm fed up, so I'll do something different' type job.

Olds

« Reply #548 on: May 10, 2016, 07:51:31 AM »

Rocker noise has got a little excessive so off with the tank and rocker cover. Thought while I'm in here, check the head nut torques. After cracking each nut they were re torqued and it took at least 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Looks like despite being re torqued after initial running of the engine, the head gasket has compressed some more.
One good thing is that the only 'emulsion' found was a very slight amount actually in the breather mesh.  Smiley
Also noticed that the outer insulation on some of the wiring has worn, due to rubbing between the tank and frame so that will need to be sorted before it goes back together again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:59:44 AM by Olds » Logged

twisted

« Reply #549 on: May 10, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »

good job Dave  Wink

when you replace that wiring sleaving it with snake skin might help prevent rubbing. Or at least make it easier to spot if it continues as the snake skin would fray and be easy to spot.

a man with a fork in a world full of soup
Olds

« Reply #550 on: May 11, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »

It's just the plastic outer sheath that's worn. Got some insulating tape from some weird guy at a show, so I will probably just bind it in that. Cheesy

While the tank is off and access easy, I figured I might as well change the oil. Some may remember that I originally filled it using the dipstick tube (took a while Roll Eyes). I had modified the dipstick and tube and upon filling, the oil level only came to the lower mark. Tried to work out where the dipsick measurements had gone wrong, never did, and thats the level it's stayed at. After todays oil change the level is exactly on the upper (full) mark. Seems that I can't reliably measure 5 1/2 pints.

merv

« Reply #551 on: May 11, 2016, 07:56:35 PM »

Seems that I can't reliably measure 5 1/2 pints
Not you Dave,surely not, there's hope for the rest of us  Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Olds

« Reply #552 on: May 11, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »

Tongue
Got the wife to pick up the oil from Halfords while she was out shopping. Classic 20w-50. A staff member was concerned that she may have picked up the wrong stuff, saying that it was only for special older vehicles and asked what it was for. When she replied it was for an Olds, he asked, "an old what" ? Upon telling him that the make is an Olds and no, not Oldsmobile, the poor fellow wanted to look it up on their system. Doubt if he will find it Grin

Baychimp

« Reply #553 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »

I have trouble with everything after 5 1/2 pints  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
fifer

« Reply #554 on: May 11, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »

Rocker noise has got a little excessive so off with the tank and rocker cover. Thought while I'm in here, check the head nut torques. After cracking each nut they were re torqued and it took at least 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Looks like despite being re torqued after initial running of the engine, the head gasket has compressed some more.
One good thing is that the only 'emulsion' found was a very slight amount actually in the breather mesh.  Smiley
Also noticed that the outer insulation on some of the wiring has worn, due to rubbing between the tank and frame so that will need to be sorted before it goes back together again.

If you torque the cylinder head then wait till you have done the recommended 500 miles , chances are that you will develop head gasket problems !
The gasket will have compressed /bedded in after the first heat up / cool down cycle .

The only  method I have found too work better than others is ;
{ 1 } Initial Torque
{ 2 } Run up to temperature
{ 3 } Let it cool for 8 hours or overnight   
{ 4 } Re-torque 
{ 5 } Let it cool for 8 hours or overnight   
{ 6 } Last Re-torque 

Note that Reliant issued a note stating that head studs should be tightened to 25 ft/lb except studs 11 and 12 which should only be tightened to 20 ft/lb

https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/cylinder-head?pli=1

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: