May 02, 2024, 10:44:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550717 times)
flc

« Reply #1635 on: December 25, 2016, 09:34:24 PM »

Looks really sweet Andy , I made some baffles for my drag pipes that worked fairly well. , I'll send a drawing once this xmas is out the way
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1636 on: December 26, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »

O.K, thanks.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1637 on: December 26, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »

Received the drawing Mick. Thanks.
Here's a very wobbly video of the bike to show the exhaust volume. Doesn't sound too bad on tickover, but it's too loud when revved -sitting at motorway speeds for an hour, for example, would give you a stonking headache.
https://youtu.be/tUeufFplzKc

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1638 on: December 26, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »

Looks and sounds very tidy Mr M, but the precaution of an easily removable baffle would definitely improve the overall "ambience"!! Cheesy if you get my drift, but very nice...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
spanners

« Reply #1639 on: December 27, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »

thats just sooo sweet  its ,perfick,,  i would be over the moon if mine ran  like that ,, mine runs  but wont tick over like that ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1640 on: December 27, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »

After some words of advice from Mr Dslam, I think I've got the starting thing sussed. Don't touch the throttle at all, just kick it & it goes 1st time. When it's cold though, any movement of the throttle for the first 30 to 60 seconds & it dies again. Fine once it's warm. That'll give me time to put my helmet & gloves on though. Smiley

spanners

« Reply #1641 on: December 27, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »

After some words of advice from Mr Dslam, I think I've got the starting thing sussed. Don't touch the throttle at all, just kick it & it goes 1st time. When it's cold though, any movement of the throttle for the first 30 to 60 seconds & it dies again. Fine once it's warm. That'll give me time to put my helmet & gloves on though. Smiley

mine ticks over fast on choke and wont rev untill warm it also just dies , yes my clutch also drags a bit and i,v found it to be down to the ratio of the new clutch lever it looks the part but isnt correct ,,
these will be somebody else,s problems soon , sorry to see it go  as i love/hate it to bits  ,,xs650,s are the manky monkeys of the motor cycle world,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1642 on: December 27, 2016, 08:35:21 PM »

They're definitely a love/hate kinda bike!

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1643 on: December 27, 2016, 11:14:10 PM »

You are kidding when you say that's loud ?..my harley was twice as loud..just ride the dam thing Andy.. Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1644 on: December 27, 2016, 11:17:16 PM »

mine ticks over fast on choke and wont rev untill warm it also just dies , yes my clutch also drags a bit and i,v found it to be down to the ratio of the new clutch lever it looks the part but isnt correct ,,
these will be somebody else,s problems soon , sorry to see it go  as i love/hate it to bits  ,,xs650,s are the manky monkeys of the motor cycle world,,

Good point............

For ref, check the photo of two differnet clutch activating arms, one has the cable mounting point nearer the fulcrum than the other.   http://www.xs650.com/threads/longer-clutch-actuator-worm-arm.21366/

Prob worth being aware that "Mikes XS" (in the states) have for sale a clutch activating arm that has the option of where the cable attaches, so there's  an easy-to-operate-but with less-lift option, or a more-difficult-to-operate-but-with-more-lift option.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:21:30 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Clive

« Reply #1645 on: December 28, 2016, 08:50:28 AM »

Looking back to page 93, Andy has the gear arm with both holes in it, and currently has the cable mounted into the hole closest to the worm drive itself, therefore giving maximum travel.

Is there any further adjustment in the cable itself, Andy and is the adjusting nut on the back of the worm drive fully 'out'?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:53:43 AM by Clive » Logged

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1646 on: December 28, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »

You're right Clive, although I'd actually forgotten that, (yes, my memory is that bad). Everything's set just as it should be, but if I pull the clutch in I can still kickstart it, so the clutch isn't disengaging. The plates only move a millimetre or so, which obviously isn't enough, & the lever's very stiff. I've just ordered a new set of clutch springs for a tenner, just in case they're heavy duty race ones. Already got a new pushrod with the correct number of new ball bearings. Other than soaking the plates in oil, I'm not sure what else I can do.
Stinkey- O.K, it's too loud for me. I want to do some serious miles on it so want it sensible -planning a ride to Belgium in June.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:54:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1647 on: December 28, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »

I know what you mean dude..or fit ear plugs ? Because it does sound nice ,sort of like a mini Vtwin ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1648 on: December 28, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »

Very British sounding I thought.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #1649 on: December 28, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »

Very British sounding I thought.

Kinda agree.........

I've stood next to it with the engine running, initially with mild steel pipes, and then with the current stainless pipes.

The Stainless pipes have changed the sound from the standard-XS-without-silencers noise to a much nicer note, more similar to a Triumph, but when revved it certainly ain't quiet

Maybe time to add the re-phase to the to-do list  Grin  (to quote Derek Trotter: You know it makes sence  Cheesy )

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: