May 02, 2024, 06:58:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550690 times)
terry t

« Reply #1620 on: December 21, 2016, 01:05:04 PM »

Try tieing the clutch lever back to let the tension off the plates.
when I changed the clutch on mine there was a label on the box that said to soak the plates before fitting

on the wiring lose the old loom and just wire in the basics there some info on here for that
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1621 on: December 21, 2016, 02:02:28 PM »

Bit more PMA stuff - this website has ref to potential alternative donor machines

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/11096

I've start a seperate thread for XS650s and PMA conversions, so all the info can be found in one place which shoud make life a bit easier, especially in the future, as the XS650 seems a bit of a favourite amongt the MMM family..................

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16037.msg225159#msg225159
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:57:26 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1622 on: December 24, 2016, 06:34:59 PM »

Nice to see Tony & Andy this afternoon -the Boys from the Bike stuff.
They brought the XS back from Andy's workshop in Surrey for me. I'd actually started to forget what it looked like. Thanks chaps. Much appreciated.
We rolled it off the trailer & Andy fired it up first kick. Didn't sound too bad -until he blipped the throttle. O.K, yeah, that's a bit loud! So it definitely needs some experimentation with the exhausts. As they said though, I still have the old chromed steel pipes I made to practice on before cutting up the new stainless ones. The old 'uns are a slightly smaller bore, so won't sound quite the same, but will give some indication of what works & what doesn't. I can make bolt in baffles for the stainless pipes which can be fitted without alteration, but if I go for an inline silencer I'll have to cut both pipes in half.

The clutch lever's far too stiff & the clutch is dragging, (not disengaging fully). The clutch springs were torqued down to the correct setting when I fitted them. I know you can buy stronger competition springs, but can you buy weaker ones?

Although Nathan did a nice job of the wiring, the sections connected to the LED indicators are very small gauge -fine for the power involved, but not really robust enough for a thumpy old twin. The loom's completely hard-wired -no connectors anywhere, just soldered & heatshrunk. Again, that's fine, but means you can't disconnect anything without physically cutting the wires. Not ideal when you need to check things like the charging circuit. A more basic re-wire may be the easiest solution, though certainly not by me, (I really don't understand electrickery). A new fusebox with blade fuses rather than vibration sensitive glass ones would be a good idea too.

The indicators are nicely quirky, but just not man enough for the job. They need to be replaced with something more robust & the rear ones mounted higher, out of the line of fire from the exhaust.

Even with Andy's low slung trailer, we still had to roll the bike halfway down the ramp, then lift it the rest of the way as it grounds out on the rear brake return spring bracket. If I'm going to rework various parts of the bike, I may as well sort that out by fitting a simpler custom Harley style master cylinder next to the pedal. 

And I'm now seriously wondering about re-fitting an electric start -Andy rides Brit bikes regularly: I haven't kickstarted anything for over 20 years. Yeah, of course I gave it a go after they'd left. No, I couldn't fire it up. Got it to go a couple of times, but as soon as I touched the throttle it died. Run me through the starting procedure Andy, so I can annoy the neighbours over the Christmas break -no throttle at all? Crack the throttle open as you kick? (yes, I got it on the compression stroke; yes, the fuel was on).

So- plenty to do over the Winter. I'm not planning on riding it till the Spring, but definitely want to be riding it in the Spring. So I've got a couple of months to sort out the problems.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1623 on: December 24, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »

Oh, & the speedo's got a blue LED in it. Never realised that before. That definitely needs changing for a green one. As I said to the chaps, I won't be able to read it without my glasses on, so maybe I need to get myself a monocle, just for that.  Cool

Tony oily bike

« Reply #1624 on: December 24, 2016, 06:49:07 PM »

Oh, & the speedo's got a blue LED in it. Never realised that before. That definitely needs changing for a green one. As I said to the chaps, I won't be able to read it without my glasses on, so maybe I need to get myself a monocle, just for that.  Cool

Simply stick the monocle to the speed and Roberts your Uncle's brother  Grin

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1625 on: December 24, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »

Or tape a telescope to the fork leg.

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1626 on: December 24, 2016, 08:30:49 PM »

From cold, flood carbs, no throttle and swing. Should settle into a roughly even tickover and will be throttle sensitive until the float levels lower back to normal. Should respond to gentle rev after about 15 seconds or so.
Have a great break and nice to see you.
Cheers. Ho ho ho and all that Roll Eyes
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1627 on: December 24, 2016, 08:38:22 PM »

Oh I forgot,
You don't need an electric foot. I retarded the ignition a few degrees last time so you could start it with bare feet.
Don't be afraid of it just give it a committed kick I hasn't kicked back on me once. If you are half hearted it can ignite the gas and push the piston back down the hole the wrong way so take control. It is easier to swing than a T140.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1628 on: December 24, 2016, 08:45:02 PM »

Smiley Aah, no throttle at all -that's where I was going wrong.
Yeah -slightly wary of it at the moment after it gave me an almighty whack on the underside of my foot last time, with the old carbs. Being a Postie, I'm on my feet all the time & was limping for days.
I'll be more assertive next time! Looking forward to annoying the neighbours with it.  Grin
Have the best time you can matey.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1629 on: December 24, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »

As a salutary word of warning. some years ago my Venom Clubman kicked me back, not for the first time I admit, but on that occasion it broke my knee cap! just saying Wink Wink, but an exhaust valve lifter comes in very handy!.., although my 'Trumpet' starts ok without, ease it over TDC and a whole hearted swing...easy, peasy... Undecided :-\Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1630 on: December 24, 2016, 10:45:25 PM »

Or tape a telescope to the fork leg.

...which is exactly why they're called Telescopic forks..............  Roll Eyes

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1631 on: December 25, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »

Of course -makes perfect sense. I'm tempted to go down to the garage & give it another go now, but doubt the neighbours would appreciate me brrraaaping up & down the garage block on Christmas morning Smiley

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1632 on: December 25, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »

No, if apprehended you could risk internment on somewhere like.....Canvey Island!

Beware the Ides of March, But!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1633 on: December 25, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »

Looks dam good sir..bet your exited..it's good to have mates who can help..well done lads..now if only I could find somebody to help with my wiring ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1634 on: December 25, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »

When you do, send 'em my way.

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: