May 02, 2024, 06:16:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550688 times)
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1500 on: August 17, 2016, 05:50:06 AM »

Let me know when your ready and I'll come and pick it up. Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1501 on: August 17, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »

Will do Sir.  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1502 on: August 18, 2016, 09:49:25 PM »

New speedo cable arrived today. Spot on this time. I've tried to route it as smoothly as I can, but don't know how long it'll last. Might be fine, might snap on the first revolution of the wheel. We'll see.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1503 on: August 18, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »

Easily visible from the saddle, though I'm not sure my eyesight's good enough to read it on the move! At least I know when the needle's pointing to the 12.0.clock position, I'm doing 70mph.

kapri

« Reply #1504 on: August 19, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »

Thatas how a lot of race cars are set up Andy , 'correct' is 12 o clock, no need to read the gauge,s a quick sweep tells you immediately.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1505 on: August 19, 2016, 08:13:10 AM »

Easily visible from the saddle, though I'm not sure my eyesight's good enough to read it on the move! At least I know when the needle's pointing to the 12.0.clock position, I'm doing 70mph.
Doubt you'll be looking at it that much sir..to busy enjoying the ride..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1506 on: August 19, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »

That bike is looking seriously good!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1507 on: August 19, 2016, 08:34:38 PM »

Why, thank you Madam Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1508 on: August 25, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »

I know not everyone reads every section of the forum, so for those that don't, Mr Loon is moving workshops, which means he needs more storage space for all the stuff he's hoarding for future projects. So I've given up my half of the lock-up garage we share & have started renting one from a little old lady who lives at the end of the street I live in.
The bike's not quite finished, but it wasn't worth renting a van just to ferry it a couple of miles across town, so I decided to push it. Used to push broken down bikes all the time -but that was 30 years ago. I also chose the most humid & sticky evening of the year so far to do it. Took an hour or so, with lots of stops to get my breath back, but the bike's now safely installed in a garage within sight of the house I lodge in.
Not much I can do on it till the engineer machines the exhaust clamp, so I'll look at making the garage more secure & weather proof.
Catching my breath on the footpath that runs behind the local cemetery.

the coppersmith

« Reply #1509 on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »

Great photo's. Bit of mist and it would frighten the kids  Grin Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1510 on: September 06, 2016, 09:11:25 PM »

Me or the bike?
Got the finned exhaust clamp back from the engineering workshop today. They milled 5mm off the face of it cos it didn't pull up tight against the cylinder head. No idea why, but it should work now.
Having moved out of Loony's old workshop, I rent 2 lock-up garages, about 2 miles apart. One is home to my pick-up truck, my welder, (although I've got no power supply to use it), & most of my tools. The other, slightly smaller one, houses the bike & my Dad's old wooden workbench.
I spent an hour this evening driving back & forth between the 2, searching for the exhaust fittings for the bike. I visited both garages twice before finally finding them among the spare parts crates in the bike garage where I'd started. I suspect that'll be the pattern of things now -constantly flitting between garages, moving spares & tools from one to the other.
Too dark to re-fit the exhaust pipes by the time I'd sorted everything out, so I'll do it tomorrow.

Olds

« Reply #1511 on: September 06, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »

With the darker evenings fast approaching some form of lighting in the garage might be worth considering.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1512 on: September 06, 2016, 09:53:50 PM »

Yeah, I've got a rechargeable LED worklamp in the other garage, so will probably buy another one of those.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1513 on: September 07, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »

So-o-o hot 'n' humid today. Shouldn't complain, but by the time I got home form marching round the streets delivering the Mail I was absolutely drained. Not sure if the job's getting harder -O.K, I know it's getting harder, or I'm just getting old -& I know I'm definitely getting older, but I need recovery time now between getting home & starting the afternoon's jobs. So it was tea time before I walked down the road to the garage & took a look at the bike exhausts.
No dramas fitting them, though I may replace the gasket in the lefthand port cos it looked a bit squished from last time the pipes were bolted up. Have to wait & see if it blows when it's running.
So now I've got stainless steel pipes, 1/8" bigger diameter than the old chromed ones, with 12" long conical perforated baffles in the tail end of each one. I've fitted a small heatshield to the top pipe, which I picked up at a swapmeet ages ago for a couple of quid. It's just held with 2 stainless Jubilee clips. I'd previously tried a longer one which required a couple of threaded inserts welded into the pipe, but I think the shorter one looks better & should still keep my leg off the pipe, (actually, with my foot on the peg, my leg's an inch or two off the pipe anyway).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:31:38 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1514 on: September 07, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »

The 2 pipes aren't exactly lined up, one above the other, but they only fit in one position & they're near enough that I'm not going to worry about it. The tail ends are held with chrome clamps around the pipes that bolt up to a single tab bolted to the frame, that also holds the back end of the chainguard.
Jobs left to do:
fit & tune the new Amal carbs.

Re-charge the battery & check the output to see if it drops overnight, cos last time I tried the ignition there was no life there at all, despite it being a brand new battery. Nathan, (Galaxie500), wired the bike, but hasn't given me a wiring diagram & I've no idea which fuse does what.

Rub a couple of "bits" out of the paint on the tank. Loony sprayed it in his old workshop, which was on a farm -dust in the wet paint was an occupational hazard there, but usually cut & polished out. If not, I'll sand them out & blow the tank over again on the bike in aerosol paint.

Do something with the sidestand -the bike doesn't lean over enough & stands almost upright when it's on the stand. Parking on a camber, or someone nudging it as they walk past, would see it toppling over. So it needs either heating & bending very slightly, or cutting a slice out of the middle, then drilling, pinning & welding the 2 halves back together.
As a side issue -or sidestand issue, why do kids nowadays think you should kickstart bikes while they're on the stand, by standing to the right of the bike & giving a huge, theatrical leap on the kickstart? It's a sidestand, not a kickstand. You ain't gonna look so cool when it snaps under the strain & the bike crashes to the ground with you sprawled on top of it. Stand astride the bike, flick the stand up, lean it over to the left slightly so the kickstart doesn't hit the ground at the bottom of it's stroke, & give it a firm, measured kick.
I know why they do it -cos that's what they've seen Harley riders doing on Sons of Mediocrity or whatever. You're English, riding Japanese bikes. Not necessary & looks ridiculous.  Angry

MOT it & tax it, (it's already insured). I'm slightly concerned about the tax cos the V5C shows it as Disabled Tax Class, (tax free). I'm hoping it's just a matter of going to the local Post Office & asking them to change it.

Ride it, lots & lots. I haven't ridden at all for 5 or 6 years, but hopefully I still remember how to.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:56:31 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: