May 03, 2024, 01:28:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550736 times)
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #1440 on: June 30, 2016, 06:27:27 AM »

very shallow if it is engraved. probably sculpted in filler

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Olds

« Reply #1441 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:29 AM »

It's done by what they call chemical engraving. What everyone else calls etching. Think they are using UV developed etch resist and templates.
Same as making circuit boards.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1442 on: June 30, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »

Aah, used to do something similar when making lithographic printing plates when I was an apprentice, about a thousand years ago.
Hello Ben Smiley Nice to see you back mate.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1443 on: July 08, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »

Hmm, really struggling to raise enthusiasm for this at the moment.
Drove over to Berkshire after work this afternoon & collected the stainless exhausts from Bernie the TIG welder. He's done a lovely job -I literally can't see the join, (I had to cut the righthand pipe in half & take a centimetre out of the middle, where it passes between the frame tubes). As well as welding it back together & buffing out the weld, he added the flanges to the ends. 30 quid.
Great. Unfortunately they still don't fit. The left one's not too bad, but the right fouls on the frame down tube. Not Bernie's fault -I had to guess at how much to take out & what angle the 2 pipe halves should go back together at. Maybe pulling the bend in tighter at the cylinder head would help, but I'm not sure. I'm almost tempted to cut a small piece out of the side of the pipe & reverse it, so that it curves inwards to clear the frame. That would mess up the gas flow, but it's not a race bike, just a daily rider.
I think I need to add a second pair of gaskets in the ports too to pack the pipes out, as the finned collars bottom out against the cylinder head before tightening up on the pipes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:26:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1444 on: July 08, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »

The back end's giving me problems too.
The previous pipes, which were smaller diameter, were held with a pair of circular clamps, which bolted to a stud welded to the frame, with a small gap between the 2 pipes. Because the new ones are a bigger diameter, they need to lay tight together down the side of the bike. Which means I can't use the mounting stud. I'll have to cut it off the frame & touch the paint in, but at least it'll be hidden behind the pipes. So, how am I going to clamp the 2 pipes together & attach them to the frame? Any ideas? I've already drilled & tapped a 6mm hole in the frame tube to fix the back end of the chainguard, so I think I need some kind of stainless strap that wraps around both pipes & hooks over the frame, bolting to the chainguard mount.
I've got baffles to go in the end of each pipe, so could drill through the strap & into the pipes, then bolt through into the captive nuts inside the baffles to hold the pipes inside the strap. That'd work.   

Olds

« Reply #1445 on: July 09, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »

Looks to be almost there. Unless the clamps are crushing the exhaust gaskets rings slightly, you don't really know how the tubes are going to fit. Add a spacer between the clamps and the flanges (not double up the gaskets).
How long are the flange rings and are they in the right place ? Seems they should be 7mm mounted 8mm from the end of the pipe (std diameter pipes).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:25:21 AM by Olds » Logged

Mendalot

« Reply #1446 on: July 09, 2016, 07:25:40 AM »

Andy, I made these brackets from sheet stainless steel and have some left over if you would like it. Could you not make up two sleeves that wrap round each pipe and clamp to your stud if you cut it down. (obviously not with the ugly hose clip though Wink)

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/PDSheridan/Plumbing4_zps05c73d8a.jpg
Manky's XS650 Yamaha

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1447 on: July 09, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »

Aah, didn't think of that Dave -my flanges are welded flush to the end of the pipe, (I think Tom's got my original down pipes so I had nothing to compare to). When you say how long are they, you mean how thick? They're 2mm. So how thick do the spacers need to be?
Appreciate the offer of the stainless Sir. I think I'll do something similar, but in 25mm x 1mm stainless strap. The pipes need to sit right where the stud is, so it needs to come off, then I'll try & make a strap that's kinda figure of 8 in profile with a curved tab that'll sit over the frame tube.

Olds

« Reply #1448 on: July 09, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »

I assume 5mm. But it depends on the finned clamping rings. Best bet is to put a bit of plasticine (or similar) on the pipe, between the flange and the clamp ring. Push the pipe right into the head (without gasket ring), push the clamp ring against the head to compress the plasticine. That should tell you how thick it needs to be, to compress the gasket and leave a small gap between clamp ring and head.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1449 on: July 09, 2016, 08:36:10 PM »

Right-o.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #1450 on: July 13, 2016, 12:26:58 AM »

Aah, used to do something similar when making lithographic printing plates when I was an apprentice, about a thousand years ago.
Hello Ben Smiley Nice to see you back mate.
I'm here every day Andy. just a little quiet

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1451 on: July 13, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »

Sneaky! Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1452 on: July 15, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »

A bit of a guesstimate, but I went with 6mm thick stainless spacers, custom made by:

http://www.lasermaster.co.uk/easy-order

for about 7 quid the pair. I didn't think they'd slide up the pipes & around the multiple bends, but surprisingly, they did.
I've modified the rear mounting on the chainguard & am waiting for some stainless flat strap to turn up in the post so I can make a new clamp for the back end of the pipes, to fix to the same bolt as the chainguard. Still looks like I'll need to recess the front of the righthand pipe to clear the frame, but have to cut off the old rear exhaust mounting stud cos the pipes don't sit right with it in the way.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1453 on: July 16, 2016, 08:15:27 PM »

Rear exhaust mounting stud hacksawed off & filed flush. Now I need to repair the paintwork.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1454 on: July 17, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »

Exhausts tried in place now the stud's out of the way. They don't fit. They will fit, but need some cutting & tweaking to sit right & line up with each other. Really needs to be done on the bike, rather than me cutting & marking them & taking them one at a time to the TIG welder, (I'd have to do one, then get the other to match it). The ideal person would be my brother Steve, who's got the space to have the bike in his workshop & can play with it at his leisure. He's done me a lot of favours but I'd rather pay him the going rate as he's self employed & I don't want to outstay my welcome. I'm resigned to this thing taking as long as it takes now.
Both pipes need pulling in at the back end & do flex a bit but I don't want to bolt them up under tension or they'll end up fracturing or cracking the head. They also need to line up one above the other. 

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: