May 02, 2024, 03:21:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550674 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1260 on: May 11, 2016, 09:03:53 PM »

Smiley Hadn't thought of that! Thanks for helping load it in the van this morning Mr Chimp.
After a whole afternoon of tweaking mixture & throttle stop screws, lifting, (& lowering again), the needles etc, I've completely lost track of just where we are with it -hah! "We" -as if I had anything to do with it. I sat on a stool in the corner of the shed & tried not to break anything.
As I said to Mr Slam, this is my "keeper" bike. I'm not building another, so it needs to be reliable & useable. So he has a free hand to modify or change whatever he thinks it needs. Looking forward to road testing time now.  Cool

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1261 on: May 11, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »

Really glad to hear it's running now!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Baychimp

« Reply #1262 on: May 11, 2016, 09:26:45 PM »

I like the sound of throttle stop screwing ( ooh arh). Its great that its running, see what can happen when you get someone who knows what they doing. You could get it M.O.Ted locally, then some tax,insurance and ride it back.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1263 on: May 11, 2016, 09:39:11 PM »

Yeah, if only I'd found someone who knew what they were doing when I built it.  Tongue
Already insured, so I guess I could book an MOT on the way home from Andy's house.
It was taxed as "disabled" by the previous owner, but hopefully that's just a matter of ticking the appropriate box when I re tax it.

Baychimp

« Reply #1264 on: May 11, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »

You knew what you were doing when you built it. Its just the fine tuning you need the help with. Like a lot of us.
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1265 on: May 11, 2016, 10:03:35 PM »

As Andy said,
Loads of snot in the bowls and the small fuel filters fitted would struggle to pass enough fuel without the addition of grinding grit and paint residue blocking them further.
First job-float height. I know from experience this is often overlooked. Although the height is not critical they need to be the same. This done I realised that the carbs are from different periods. The left one has the screw in pilot jet and the right has the pressed in variety. Both are pre Burlen.
Dumped both stripped carbs into the ultrasonic cleaner for 20mins on jolly hot setting. The fluid began clear and ended up a rather nasty grey colour.
Balanced the slide lift by eye.
Rebuilt and fitted we attempted a start. Fired up but ran as rough as hell. Out with the screw driver and start twiddling in an attempt to get a clean idle. This was followed by soft blip and hard blip which revealed over rich transition from pilot to slide cutaway. The next size up would probably make it too lean so I plan to mill the slides to suit. I have successfully done this in the past.
A few small oil weeps and the left exhaust  blowing at the head. Dragging clutch are all minor issues.
I will concentrate on the running issues as Andy is more than capable of sorting those issues.
So, thus far we have a runner. Ticks over OK but not good enough. Rough pilot to slide transition. Needle transition seems OK. Cannot really test needle to main until we get it on the road.
After a few chores tomorrow morning I shall continue.................
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1266 on: May 11, 2016, 10:06:31 PM »

Congratulations, once its run for a spell you should expect more like 120-130 psi, thems "Christian units Andy!, per cylinder with no more than a 10psi dfference between.Usually, once going the tweaking settles them down and....bingo, where's that open road.................Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Dslam

« Reply #1267 on: May 11, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »

I was concerned about the 6.5 bar reading, sorry 91psi. Quite low but both pots the same pressure. It is either my pressure gauge is tired or the rings need a bit of running to seal it or strip and rebuild (hopefully not!!) It revs quite crisp on the needle jet and sounds good too so I think all will be well. We shall see.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:14:43 PM by Dslam » Logged
Olds

« Reply #1268 on: May 12, 2016, 04:23:12 AM »

Well done sir. Hopefully decent filters will stop most of the gunk still in the tank from reaching the carbs. The fact that both cylinders  are low on compression but the same, at least suggests nothing is disasterously wrong.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1269 on: May 12, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »

Sounds "Tickety-Boo" Grin nice one Guys, once its done a few miles the rings will "unstick", is that a technical term Cheesy and away to go Boyo....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Dslam

« Reply #1270 on: May 12, 2016, 07:01:59 PM »

Annoyingly today was full of visitors and other stuff so didn't get to the XS. Going to have another go tomorrow.............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1271 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:33 PM »

It's been 5 or 6 years since I bought the donor bike, so don't worry about it Andy Smiley

Olds

« Reply #1272 on: May 13, 2016, 05:34:40 AM »

It's been 5 or 6 years since I bought the donor bike, so don't worry about it Andy Smiley
You bought it in May 2010 (before XS prices sky rocketed). A relatively quick build. Cheesy

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1273 on: May 13, 2016, 06:38:40 AM »

Grin

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1274 on: May 13, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »

A relatively quick build.

hahah love it!   Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: