May 03, 2024, 03:01:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550742 times)
Mendalot

« Reply #1185 on: April 20, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »

Great stuff Andy, love that color ....... your gonna make me start to want another bike Undecided

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1186 on: April 24, 2016, 09:52:34 AM »

Smiley I cut & polished the tank yesterday -taking off the slightly textured, straight from the spray gun finish, with lots of water & some 2000 grit wet n dry paper, followed by 2,500. Then polished with a cloth & a big squirt of cutting compound. The bike's supposed to compliment my truck, which has a satin finish, but I think I'll leave the tank in gloss for now, at least until the truck's back on the road.
Cap & twin taps fitted.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1187 on: April 24, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »

Speedo "cable" finished. Lined with a length of PTFE pipe & buffed up a bit. Hope it works.
Nipped across to the Guzzlers car club barn, (about 2 miles across country from Loony's workshop), to fit them, but nobody was home, so I'll try again tomorrow. Got to drill & tap the back end of the chainguard to bolt it to the frame cos I'm not happy with the current fixing, add the tank & speedo cable, then check with Nathan that the electrics are all hooked up & ready to go, (don't want to be kicking it over for an hour then find the coil's not connected or something). Then I guess just put some fuel in it & see what happens. The carbs will need some adjusting, which isn't really my thing, but other than that, more or less ready to go I think.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #1188 on: April 24, 2016, 06:15:08 PM »

.................. Then I guess just put some fuel in it & see what happens. The carbs will need some adjusting, which isn't really my thing, but other than that, more or less ready to go I think.

Nearly ready to go!! whoo hoo! Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1189 on: April 24, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »

Whoo &, as you so succinctly put it, Hoo.
Tried the Guzzlers place again 3 times today without success. Anyone would think they've got lives beyond messing about with old motors or something. I haven't got a phone number for any of them except Nathan & I think he's been away this weekend. Won't get a chance to try tomorrow, so will be the middle of the week sometime now.
Last time I was there I put some oil down the bores & turned the engine over on the kickstart for a few minutes, (until I ran out of energy -not so easy when I'm 54 as it was when I was 18). Assuming the fuel reaches the carb & the coil sparks, hopefully we shall have life soon.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1190 on: April 28, 2016, 04:52:42 PM »

After a week of trying the barn every time I was passing, I finally caught some of the chaps there this afternoon, so had an hour or so to work on the bike until they locked up & went home. Spent most of that fiddling with the speedo cable though. It was slightly too long, because flaring the ends didn't take up as much length as I'd thought it would, & slightly the wrong angle, because I'm stoopid. Lots of tweaking eventually sorted it, but then the inner cable unravelled itself -speedo cables are made from a tightly wound coil of wire with the ends soldered or brazed, then filed to a square profile. I'd cut my old cable to length, then just run an angle grinder around the end to square it off. Hoped to get away with it, but just turning it by hand unravelled it. So now I need to find an old speedo cable, cut it to the right length & find someone who can do the soldering business for me. A small job, but as always, one step forward, one step back.
So while the guys were packing up for the day I bunged the tank on so that it at least looks like I've made some progress.
Apart from the cable, I need to cut the fuel pipes to length & hook them up to the tank, bolt the back end of the chainguard down securely & fit the headlight lens -strangely, the glass has separated from the reflector bowl. Never seen that happen before, but I've got some black mastic adhesive which should fix it.
Probably Saturday before I get a chance to continue now. So a tiny weeny bit of progress, but that's better than none.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1191 on: April 28, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1192 on: April 28, 2016, 06:00:36 PM »

Yeah, but the 640K$ question must be.....does it actually run?.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1193 on: April 28, 2016, 06:02:52 PM »

Not till I connect up the fuel lines & put some juice in the tank, no -patience my friend, patience.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1194 on: April 30, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »

Headlight lens mastic'd back into the reflector bowl & light put back together.
Fuel pipes cut to length, but the spring clips are too small -one step forward...

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1195 on: May 03, 2016, 07:22:35 PM »

Right then, I need to call upon the collective Manky wisdom of the forum.

Been trying to start the bike today, with no success. The most I've achieved is a cough from the left carb when petrol was squirted directly down the carb mouth. A couple of odd pops, but no other sign of life at all -& I'm knackered from kicking it over. Stoopid idea to remove the electric start.
So, current state of play:

Battery's new, charged & showing at least 12 volts.
Plugs are new & correctly gapped, (25 - 28 thou').
Plugs are sparking when taken out & laid against the cylinder head, (both plugs are fed by the same twin lead coil).
Boyer electronic ignition module must be working cos the plugs are sparking. The XS uses a Wasted Spark system, (both plugs fire at the same time as they're fed by one coil).
Electronic ignition trigger unit's correctly set to Top Dead Centre.
Plugs appear dry, but squirting Easy Start down the plug holes doesn't seem to make much difference, (haven't tried fuel down the plug holes yet).
When the fuel taps are opened, fuel immediately leaks from around the carb tickler buttons, suggesting the floats are too high & the tabs that push the valves shut need bending slightly.
Carb slides are lifting when the throttle's opened, but the left one was sticking open at first. Seems O.K now. No choke slides fitted.

So it appears there's no fuel getting to the cylinders. Am I missing something? I had several Triumph Bonnys with these carbs when I was a teenager, but I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone 35 years ago. Besides which, fault diagnosis & tuning have never been my thing.
Any suggestions?

For those that like to know these things, these are the carb details:

MK1 AMAL 930 concentrics

Throttle Valve #3 1/2. ( Part No~40-928060/3.5 )

Main Jet #140.( Part No~40-376100/140 )

Needle Jet #106.( Part No~40-622122/106 )

Throttle Needle

(2 Indent) ( Part No~40-622124 )

The needle position is set to the 2nd groove down, (midway).

Mixture screws are set to 1 1/2 turns out.

kapri

« Reply #1196 on: May 03, 2016, 07:36:41 PM »

I know bugger all about bikes but if that were a car I'd say you have the wrong TDC ie it's not on compression stroke.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1197 on: May 03, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »

The pistons travel up & down together Kev -not one up while the other's down. So only one top dead centre. You can buy kits to split the crank & re-phase the piston travel, so one's half way up when the other's at TDC. Supposed to reduce vibration & make smoother power, but I'll be happy just to get it running.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:46:14 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Clive

« Reply #1198 on: May 03, 2016, 07:57:32 PM »

A not so stupid question. You haven't left a rag or something you used to block off the ports before putting the carbs on in there, have you???

Ask me how this is now on my checklist..............................

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
toad

« Reply #1199 on: May 03, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »

Swap the plug leads over easy mistake to make as both pistons on tdc Wink

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: