May 02, 2024, 06:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550690 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1125 on: February 17, 2016, 11:20:59 PM »

Oops, for calliper, read "slave" cylinder!! But remember, that the amount of effort achieved with hand pressure on conventional twin disc front brake set ups, is more than enough in that context, then think of how much your able to apply with your current, very neat, foot operated, single calliper rear brake, therefore, be sure that both cylinders are doing the biz. before chopping things about, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
kapri

« Reply #1126 on: February 18, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »

Look at it another way, how much has changed from standard Yam? Have you checked the ratio on a standard Yam pedal? Are you SURE they are the correct m/c and caliper  ?  If you remember on the Pop the main brake problem was traced to too small an mc for the requirements of the calipers/ slaves. Is the rear caliper fitted in the OEM position or has it been moved round ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:48:01 AM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1127 on: February 18, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.
Not had a chance to do anything today, but yes, standard Yam' disc & caliper, mounted in the conventional position. The pedal & the operating arm on the other side are both standard Yam length, so the pedal ratio's as standard.
With the back wheel off the ground, I can spin it & stop it using a screw driver to push the master cylinder piston. When it's hooked up to the pedal, the pedal goes right to the ground before it just about stops the wheel. It's got to be a combination of the pedal in the wrong position on the splines & the push rod being the wrong length.
Hopefully I'll get time to take another look tomorrow.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1128 on: February 21, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »

Ta dah!
Brake fixed. Jeez, what a frustrating job. Thanks for the PMs & posts chaps. As predicted, it turned out to be simply a mix of the pedal being one spline out on it's shaft & the push rod being the wrong length.
Lifting the pedal by one spline improved things. Two splines locked the wheel solid. Back to one spline, then gradually increase the length of the adjustable push rod. Now the wheel's on the point of binding but still turning & it stops with a ressonable push of the pedal. I think once I've ridden a few miles & everything's bedded in, it'll need adjusting again, but I'm happy with it now.
Push rod modified with a hex stud joiner welded to it, as suggested, & a short length of 6mm stud & a lock nut.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:44:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1129 on: February 21, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »

Right hand side panel fitted -Nathan, (Galaxie 500), will need it to wire the bike up cos the ignition switch is fitted in it. I'll ask him to use a multi pin plug connector on it to make removal of the panel easier.
I'll leave the left panel, exhaust & saddle off for now to give him more room to get in the electrics box.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1130 on: February 21, 2016, 07:51:01 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1131 on: February 21, 2016, 07:56:18 PM »

I'm never sure if the honey-combed lens of the rear light counts as a reflector. I don't think it does but I need one for the MOT. Not keen on the little stick-on plastic ones you see stuck on the corner of people's number plates, but I saw some really nice. (& really expensive), glass ones the other day. Might fit perfectly in the hole in the right hand indicator below the tail light.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1132 on: February 21, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »

So, as far as I can see, it's ready for wiring.
Respray the tank, fit the exhausts & seat & see if it'll start! Smiley

Olds

« Reply #1133 on: February 21, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »

Good to hear that you have sorted the brake. Not too much to do now.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1134 on: February 22, 2016, 10:18:48 AM »

Whats that old saying "slowly, slowly catchy monkey" Almost there Andy. Cracking bike, will look superb against the pop.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1135 on: February 22, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »

I'm never sure if the honey-combed lens of the rear light counts as a reflector. I don't think it does but I need one for the MOT. Not keen on the little stick-on plastic ones you see stuck on the corner of people's number plates, but I saw some really nice. (& really expensive), glass ones the other day. Might fit perfectly in the hole in the right hand indicator below the tail light.

Worth thinking about - Just had a word with a pal who does bike MoTs and asked about your reflector, he said it should be located on the centreline of the bike.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_140.htm

Angle of the reg plate 'could' be an issue.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_630.htm

Bike MoT Testers Manual   http://www.motuk.co.uk/motor_cycle_testing.asp
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:01:31 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1136 on: February 22, 2016, 09:21:25 PM »

Hopefully not as it's quite low so pretty easily read.
Yeah, rear lights & reflectors should be centrally mounted or in symetrical pairs, (one each side), but I'm willing to chance that & can change it if I have to.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1137 on: February 23, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »

If the expensive one fits in the middle of the indicator, the answer might be TWO expensive ones then!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1138 on: February 23, 2016, 07:53:02 PM »

Smiley
I bought a pair from America, via Ebay. They're advertised as reproduction vintage bicycle reflectors.
Big Darren's delivering the bike to Nathan's workshop for wiring on Thursday. He's busy this week but can order the materials he needs, then do it at his leisure.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1139 on: February 25, 2016, 08:20:27 PM »

Thanks to Big Darren & his van, the bike was safely delivered to Nathan today for a bit of looking at before he wires it up. Should be done some time in the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile I can crack on with my truck.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: