May 02, 2024, 02:47:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 550661 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #405 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »

The tailgate?
The raised bead around the lettering is a swage, rolled into the flat steel sheet for me by a local sheet metal worker. I drew the shape on the sheet in marker pen & he ran it through his former, (2 wheels that run against either side of the metal sheet to form a raised line). Cost me a tenner. Often used to add rigidity to flat panels. You'll usually see it in interior panels of race cars etc. Any decent metalwork shop should be able to do it for you, but you can buy home versions of the tools from places like Frosts Restoration. Or you could make a wooden former & buck & do it by hand.
The "Manky" lettering's actually old fashioned aluminium number plate letters. In the old days kids, the numbers were individually clipped onto a backing plate, not printed on like today's number plates. I found a big box of them at the Dorset Steam Fair a few years back & bought enough to spell Manky for 10p each. I was going to hang them on my shed wall, but they found their way onto the truck instead. The tailgate panel's sunk a little in the middle, so we might have to try & pull it back out flat before it's painted. Should look good when it's finished.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #406 on: December 11, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »

Olds

« Reply #407 on: December 11, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

Back to the XS. What is the chrome fitting, on the battery box, the strap is clipped to from please?  I know that I've seen them somewhere but for the life of me can't remember where! Seatbelt guide springs to mind but then my mind is so cluttered, it's like my garage, can't find anything when I need it. Tongue

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #408 on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:21 PM »

Door check strap mount.
There's one on each end of the strap.
I think I bought them from Europa Spares, although they only show black powder-coated finish here

https://www.europaspares.com/product/62/20331/BRIGHTWORK/FASTENERS/Check_Strap_Staple_Black.html

Car Builder Solutions probably sell them too

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/

I bought 4 of them for the leather straps on my truck fuel tank, but wasn't sure if I needed the 1 1/2" or 2" ones, so bought 4 of each.
Should have 2 more 2" ones somewhere if you need 'em Dave.

Olds

« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »

Thanks Andy, might take you up on that. Remembered where I'd seen them before, screwed to back of the rear seat on my MGB.   
This morning, noticed the same staples, but narrower, holding the carrying handle on my VOX guitar amp. God my brain is so slow Tongue

trev

« Reply #410 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »

Thanks Andy, might take you up on that. Remembered where I'd seen them before, screwed to back of the rear seat on my MGB.   
This morning, noticed the same staples, but narrower, holding the carrying handle on my VOX guitar amp. God my brain is so slow Tongue
vox guitar amp,not a AC30 by any chance is it?

yes but can blue men sing the whites?
Olds

« Reply #411 on: December 12, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »

vox guitar amp,not a AC30 by any chance is it?
Nope, AD30VT. An early AC30 can go for silly money.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #412 on: December 12, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »

Took Loony's Dad, Dave to meet Phil the upholsterer the other day. Dave plays drums in a band & Phil used to play guitar. Turns out they both collect guitars so spent quite some time comparing notes.

Newbie, I've left the spare 2" chrome brackets in the pick-up bed of my truck at Loony's workshop, should you call in & I'm not there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:40:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #413 on: December 23, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »

Loony's been pushing the bike in & out of the workshop every day to give him room to work on other stuff & was getting fed up with propping it on bits of wood. After hardtailing the original frame, the side stand was too long & the bike threatened to topple over. So today he cut a couple of inches out of it & welded it back together. That's better.
While he was doing that, I cut a slice off the back of the engine side casing. It used to form part of the chain guard, but isn't really needed & I decided it looks better without it. I also gave the casing a quick rub over with some wet n dry paper to take the worst of the gunge off it.
Loony also machined a couple of new mounting lugs for the rear mudguard as the previous set-up ended up sat too close to the tyre. Just dabbling with this from time to time at the moment, while working on my truck.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #414 on: January 06, 2013, 09:07:43 PM »

Not much going on with this at the moment, while I'm working on my truck. Picked up a twin pull throttle cable unit from Ebay last week though. Allegedly from an old Douglas. Being aluminium it should polish up nicely & means I don't need a "splitter" box, (single cable from the bars into 2 cables for the carbs).

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #415 on: January 14, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »

Rear mudguard mounts reworked. There's now about an inch of clearance between the trye & the dome nuts under the guard. I had to slot the holes in the guard as the mounting bolts pointed inwards toward each other. So I've just used some large "penny" washers to cover the slots. keeping this build very low tech. Eventually the struts & washers will be chrome plated & the guard painted in Metalflake "root Beer", (a sort of treacly golden brown).   

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #416 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:14 PM »

Same hand made aluminium guards as my truck, which is kinda cool I think.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #417 on: January 14, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »

Seat base propped in place. I'll make a tray, suspended below the seat base, to hold the electrical components, hidden by side panels. The front mounting tab for the rear guard will be welded to that.
Once I've fitted the side panels, I'll trim the front end of the guard to the height of the back of the electrical tray.

hunter

« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:53 AM »

Now that's shaping up,You will have it finished in a week or two.

I
Olds

« Reply #419 on: January 15, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »

I do like the twin hoop rear stays, very clean and simple. Nice   Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: