May 03, 2024, 06:18:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I bet yours is just sitting in the garden ...  (Read 1699 times)
JayJay

« on: September 24, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »

Pendine Success Again!

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:06:11 PM »

That seems to get everywhere. Journalists seem to love it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »

I know but I thought someone might be interested that he'd managed to rebuild and slightly increased his record.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »

Too ridiculous to comment!! Huh

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »

An event where to get a record you only have to turn up with something different. Shed, shopping cart, toilet !
A quote from a motoring publication...
"Straightliners Top Speed Weekend is similar to the famous Bonneville land speed events in the US only at a lower cost and more convenient for Europeans".
To compare this to Bonneville, beggars belief, but looks like a great bit of fun.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »

An event where to get a record you only have to turn up with something different. Shed, shopping cart, toilet !
A quote from a motoring publication...
"Straightliners Top Speed Weekend is similar to the famous Bonneville land speed events in the US only at a lower cost and more convenient for Europeans".
To compare this to Bonneville, beggars belief, but looks like a great bit of fun.

Land Speed Record attempts were made at various locations in the UK in the early part of the 20th century, including Salturn Beach in Yorkshire, Brooklands Circuit in Surrey up until 1922 and Pendine Sands in Wales in the 1920’s.

When Speeds got too high for the venues (not enough space), America became the place to go, with Daytona Beach being an early venue with first record being set in 1927 by Brit Henry Segrave.

When Daytona Beach became too-short (late 1930’s), the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah became the place to go to.

Back in the UK and 2013, a chap by the name of PJ (and some good pals) arranged a motorcycle speed event at the infamous Pendine Sands in Wales, the first Speed Event for decades, under the flag of “The Pendine Land Speed Racing Club”.

The 2013 Pendine rules and regs were (as memory serves) based around those of the SCTA (Southern California Timing Association). These are the folks who run Bonneville’s main event.

The idea being that anyone who had a hankering to ride at Bonneville could build and ride a Bonneville-eligible bike (that would pass tech inspection etc), and then ride it a speed on the sand (a loose surface and the nearest we have to the salt of Bonneville) to get a feel and have a shakedown. Once happy, and when enough funds to allowed, the bike could be taken to Bonneville.

As we move away from 2013, the bike side of things at Pendine is now with Straightliners, and as far as I’m aware, the regs still are still those (at least in essence) of the SCTA.

As all other Speed Events in the UK are on tarmac/concrete surfaces, Pendine offered/offers a unique experience of riding on a surface not too removed from the Bonneville salt, Pendine sand.

The BBC showed a two-part programme called Speed Dreams about UK riders/drivers preparing and competing at Bonneville in 2012, first shown in January 2013, and later repeated in Feb 2015.
A number of riders at the 2013 Pendine event had, and have since, ridden at Bonneville.

So, is the Top Speed Weekend similar to Bonneville, well for motorcycles ..............

http://www.saltburnbysea.com/html/speed-trials.html

http://www.pendinesands.org/the-world-land-speed/#.W6tUQE2ovIU

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pyjwj/episodes/guide

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:24:23 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »

Shed & Buried (Shed and Babs)

Some old Babs footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRPVAWCcHyQ
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:40:25 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 07:52:19 PM »

Coincidently, my current project is an ex- Gordon Daniels MOV sprinter, his first comp. bike in 1960, a pic. of which is attached, Morrag

minimutly

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »

Bob Berry lived in my village, his sister used to come to the pub...
Tony oily bike

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 07:25:37 AM »

Coincidently, my current project is an ex- Gordon Daniels MOV sprinter, his first comp. bike in 1960, a pic. of which is attached, Morrag

Interesting bike sir, it'll be nice if you could cover the project in Bike Tech please.

Guessing you're aware of the Sprint Section of the VMCC, who have a distinct penchant for the older bikes, and the NSA (National Sprint Association).

https://www.facebook.com/vmccsprint/

http://vmccsprint.co.uk/vintage_classic_modern_motorcycle_sprint_racing/Welcome.html

http://nationalsprintassociation.org/

https://www.facebook.com/sprinting.co.uk

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 11:05:58 PM »

I'll see how it goes Tony, indeed the whole project is quite interesting, provided old "straight up" machines are your bag! Gordon is a lifelong friend, and is fit and well to this day, he went on to win the senior MGP in '69, and later graced start grids with the likes of Hailwood, Ago, Read, and a host of other household, in those days, Road racing names. I have his original tuning notes for this bike, which was converted to swinging arm rear suspension, as you can see, in the early '50's, and has such niceties as KTT profiled cams, big valves, etc. and for a while was quite successful, but that's a long time ago now...ho, hum...reminiscing mode! Lips Sealed Lips Sealed...Morrag

the coppersmith

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »

Late 60's I had a Venom Clubman, hated the thing, pig to start, exploding clutch with all them silly little springs. However, wish I had it now, appreciate things like that now, big old single, I'm getting all nostalgic, better stop   Cry
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 10:16:51 PM »

yep, had a Venom back then, myself. Like all Velo's a short low geared kickstart mech, was definitely not conducive to ease of starting! however the clutch could, with a little perseverance, and a large amount of persistence, be made to perform quite well, although having the ability to slip and drag at the same time, if treated inconsiderately. But for all that, with a single lung, that felt like silk when on the bugle, it was lovely....nostalgia, what nost........................ Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: