May 17, 2024, 02:07:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564612 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5820 on: March 22, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
cunningplan

« Reply #5821 on: March 22, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »

Yes we are. Takes a good 10 minutes before it kicks in. Not sure what the switch is from, but I bought it from Pop Browns, along with the ali' radiator.
Well, today dawned reasonably sunny & dry, which was good cos it was Pop drivin' day.
My big brother Steve, (Brock), came over from Wiltshire & we spent a while tweaking the carb & checking things over. I was concerned that the motor seems to take a good 10 minutes to properly warm up, but he said that's just what they do. It's a big lump of aluminium, sat in a cold workshop & it takes a while to get it up to operating temperature. Fair enough.
Steve, Loony & I took it in turns to blat up & down the yard in it. So far so good, though driving through the mud puddle down by the yard entrance proved the little lightweight mudguards don't actually guard against mud at all. With no glass in the doors yet, hitting puddles with the front wheels turned directs the water straight into the cab!
So we spent an hour or so fitting the windscreen & the pressed steel trim that sits behind it inside the cab to hold the glass in place. A bit fiddly but we got it in with no major problems. I was going to stick the tax disc on it, but Steve pointed out it'd get wet & the ink would probably run, so for now I'll just carry it in my pocket. When I went to fit the windscreen wipers I found the little metal wedge that locks them to the spindles was missing from one, so I just fitted the other for now. They came from Pop Browns but I think they're actually aftermarket Land Rover ones. I'll probably have to buy another pair to get the missing part. I had to cut the blade down to something like 5" long to fit the screen!  
Steve eventually had to go home, so Loon & I went for a spin up the road, through the local village & out the other side -first legitimate drive on public roads! It was an ...interesting experience. Bumpy country lanes, so very rattly & bouncy. The ride's primitive, but that's exactly what we expected. It'll obviously be a lot smoother on normal roads. Very limited turning circle & "lively" steering -it has an old style steering box, rather than a more modern rack & pinnion set-up, so there's free play in the steering wheel, like driving an old Land Rover. Makes piloting it down narrow lanes with traffic coming the other way a bit hairy at times! "She's vague & entertaining" Loon shouted. Yeah, I've had girlfriends like that before.
By the time we set off from the yard the rain was coming down yet again, but we just went for it. My nice clean truck arrived back plastered in mud, as much in the cab as there was outside. I suspect that's gonna be it's natural look for a lot of the Summer.
Other than a bit of a flat spot mid revs & an occasional clonk from the back end while braking that needs investigating, it's pretty much ready to roll. Still hoping to drive it 15 miles to the Valley Gas Speed Shop party tomorrow night, so I'll spend tomorrow afternoon after work checking every single nut & bolt & sorting as many small jobs as we can before we leave.
Is it fun? Hell, yeah!

Mr Brock at the wheel.

Might help to go up a couple on the main jets  Wink
(How to tune a Holley by text  Roll Eyes glad it worked out)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5822 on: March 22, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »

Hi Tony -wondered who Steve was texting!
While I nipped over to Phunkie's workshop to return some tools I'd borrowed, Loony's Rover saloon was wheeled into my spot in the workshop. So it's now officially an outdoor car. We wrapped it up in a tarpaulin, but over the weekend I'll start making templates for the door glass & begin plugging the various holes in the cab. It's gonna be a work in progress for the Summer, with me continuing to refine it during the week & drivng it evenings & weekends. Loony's trade insurance should cover him in it so he'll be trundling around the local area too. See you out on the road!

twolanes

PRO ET/571

« Reply #5823 on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »

Iys looking real good so far mate.
poprodder

« Reply #5824 on: March 22, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »

this has made me smile and want to drive the minx.
nice one andy. thank you.

spanners

« Reply #5825 on: March 22, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »

andy, wherabouts is youre rad fan switch ,? hav you got a photo of it ,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5826 on: March 22, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »

No photos but can take some tomorrow. Screws directly into the bottom of the rad' I think. You can buy aluminium inline switch fittings that splice into your top rad' hose.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/PRODUCTS/sp40002.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:01:00 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #5827 on: March 22, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »

No photos but can take some tomorrow. Screws directly into the bottom of the rad' I think. You can buy aluminium inline switch fittings that splice into your top rad' hose.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/PRODUCTS/sp40002.html
it looks like i,m going to hav to put one in the top hose  Roll Eyes bolton bits sell them on ebay, i,ll leave the wires ready and use a manual switch for now,and chuck the expensive box o, tricks in the bin,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
kapri

« Reply #5828 on: March 22, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »

Gaffer tape for the roof seams for now , inside and out... sorted Smiley

Flat spot could be accelerator pump stroke (adjustable) or secondaries cutting in too early, depends what revs etc you were using . Vac spring change is often overlooked but can make a hell of a difference for little money .You  check out opening point by using a paperclip Wink
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:31:43 PM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5829 on: March 22, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »

Yeah, I did point out to Loony that welding the holes up in the roof would fix it but that's several hours work. Gaffer tape's tomorrow's quick fix solution.
When you accelerate hard it picks up quite nicely at first but then seems to have a flat spot. Gradual acceleration is O.K though.

terry t

« Reply #5830 on: March 22, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »

so whats it like to actually drive it on the roads after all this time Andy Smiley
spanners

« Reply #5831 on: March 22, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »

so whats it like to actually drive it on the roads after all this time Andy Smiley
i think looney drove cozz the manky one is ,,,SCARED,,,  WinkCheesy Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5832 on: March 22, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »

It was an ...interesting experience. Bumpy country lanes, so very rattly & bouncy. The ride's primitive, but that's exactly what we expected. It'll obviously be a lot smoother on normal roads. Very limited turning circle & "lively" steering -it has an old style steering box, rather than a more modern rack & pinnion set-up, so there's free play in the steering wheel, like driving an old Land Rover.

terry t

« Reply #5833 on: March 22, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »

It was an ...interesting experience. Bumpy country lanes, so very rattly & bouncy. The ride's primitive, but that's exactly what we expected. It'll obviously be a lot smoother on normal roads. Very limited turning circle & "lively" steering -it has an old style steering box, rather than a more modern rack & pinnion set-up, so there's free play in the steering wheel, like driving an old Land Rover.
whats normal roads.  i think you nead some mudgurds on the front  Grin Grin
spanners

« Reply #5834 on: March 22, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »

bet that lane near looney,s is interesting ,, it was the first time i came down it with the trailer, Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: