May 17, 2024, 02:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564611 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5070 on: July 13, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »

Picked up the latest issue of "Custom Car" magazine this morning. See- green is "in".  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
steven brock

« Reply #5071 on: July 13, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »

Avocado....... Cheesy

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5072 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

O.K, yeah that one is avocado.
My day off today, but I spent most of it running various errands between Surrey & Hampshire, so arrived at the workshop mid afternoon.
Still working on the curved panel behind the steering column. Ready for Loony to weld now. Note the small triangular recess in the left side of the gearbox tunnel. Necessary to allow the glovebox lid to open fully.
Motorcycle type tax disc holder mounted to a tab on the dash. I didn't want a modern stick-on one & thought this would look better. I'd like it to sit lower though, so will probably re-drill the mounting tab tomorrow. Wide angle camera lens makes it look much bigger than it actually is!
At the back of the cab you can see the circular heater. I paid 16 quid for it from Ebay. There's another identical one on there at the moment for 73 quid.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:11:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5073 on: July 13, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »

My list of errands included collecting the seat bases from Mike Simms, the local auto upholsterer.
The seats were 20 quid for the pair from the Brooklands auto jumble & were advertised as reproduction Austin 7. Probably home made as the swage lines are a bit wonky & the welds are kinda messy. We originally had them covered with buttoned leather from an old Volvo rear seat, but it didn't match the vinyl "tuck n roll" we're going to use in the rest of the cab.
So I had them recovered in the new material. Great. Mike's made a lovely job of them & I'm really pleased. 40 quid each.
Unfortunately, we've now decided to change the paint scheme & the red piping will clash. I could paint it with black vinyl paint, but it'd look tatty & probably wear off pretty quickly. The new covers are also pulled tighter over the bases, making them thinner. That means the lumpy welding shows. So at some point, they'll probably get done yet again, maybe with a curved, slightly padded flap around the back to cover the welds.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:54:15 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #5074 on: July 13, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »

looking good andy, just one thing............get the bloody thing on the road!!!! Tongue Cheesy Grin Kiss

terry t

« Reply #5075 on: July 13, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »

My list of errands included collecting the seat bases from Mike Simms, the local auto upholsterer.
The seats were 20 quid for the pair from the Brooklands auto jumble & were advertised as reproduction Austin 7. Probably home made as the swage lines are a bit wonky & the welds are kinda messy. We originally had them covered with buttoned leather from an old Volvo rear seat, but it didn't match the vinyl "tuck n roll" we're going to use in the rest of the cab.
So I had them recovered in the new material. Great. Mike's made a lovely job of them & I'm really pleased. 40 quid each.
Unfortunately, we've now decided to change the paint scheme & the red piping will clash. I could paint it with black vinyl paint, but it'd look tatty & probably wear off pretty quickly. The new covers are also pulled tighter over the bases, making them thinner. That means the lumpy welding shows. So at some point, They'll probably get done yet again, maybe with a curved, slightly padded flap around the back to cover the welds.
put some 3/4" packing between the seat frame and seat base. that will raise it up and cover the welds.  Wink
and it will show the red piping out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:00:28 PM by terry t » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5076 on: July 13, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »

Trying to hide the piping Terry.  Smiley
Already tried packing the base up higher. Because the seat back is angled, as the base is raised, the gap between the upholstery & seat back widens. By chance, it was a 3/4" packer that I tried. Created a gap wide enough to get my fingers in.
The driver's floor needs replacing -we've cut it about a lot while working on the brakes. I marked out the alterations needed on the existing floor today & will use it as a template for the new one, but can't cut the old one out yet cos Loony's prepping & painting a trike in the same workshop at the moment & wouldn't appreciate me filling the place with grinding dust.
I've got the windscreen rubber, but need to make a plywood template then have a new screen cut. Rather than having domestic laminate glass as before, I want to have a flat Landrover screen cut down, to keep the BSI, (?), stamp in the corner. There's new, green tinted ones on Ebay for 50 quid.
I've got the new kingpin repair kit, but need to wait until CunningPlan's available to fit it.
I've got new door latches, plus new hinges, but fitting them ain't a 5 minute job, (several days per door).
I'm getting there -slowly.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:38:45 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #5077 on: July 13, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »

Grin

spanners

« Reply #5078 on: July 13, 2012, 11:52:23 PM »

too much thinkin=========================not enough doing ,,, Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
steven brock

« Reply #5079 on: July 14, 2012, 03:52:49 AM »

Think you need some sort of green in-lay in that seat then for that stunning look?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5080 on: July 14, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »

Smiley
They've already been upholstered twice. Next time around I'm sticking with black. That way, if we ever change the paint colour again, I don't have to re-work them yet again.
Waiting on a drop more welding from Mr L to finish the dashboard panels, but he's kinda busy painting stuff at the moment.
Can't make too much mess while he's doing that, which counts out angle grinding out the old driver's floor panel, so might move on to hanging the doors on the new hinges next.

steven brock

« Reply #5081 on: July 15, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »

I'm sure it will look real special look forward to more pics Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5082 on: July 15, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

Been to the local classic car show today.
Got chatting to the owner of a fully restored Ford Pop. He was ranting about "hotrod heathens" who are killing off all the original cars by "chopping them up".
I thought it probably best not to tell him I've cut mine in half!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:57:42 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

merv

« Reply #5083 on: July 15, 2012, 04:24:12 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
poprodder

« Reply #5084 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »

Been to the local classic car show today.
Got chatting to the owner of a fully restored Ford Pop. He was ranting about "hotrod heathens" who are killing off all the original cars by "chopping them up".
I thought it probably best not to tell him I've cut mine in half!

Cool Cool Cool Cheesy Grin

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:57:55 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: