May 06, 2024, 06:13:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on fitting an auto gearbox to an Essex V6  (Read 3558 times)
rattusroddus

« on: October 06, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer:
I currently have a manual gearbox in my Essex V6 engined Ford Y type and would like to fit an auto box. Has anyone done this and how simple an operation is it.
Will the output shaft on the engine engage with the autobox without modification?
Am I likely to need to shorten, or lengthen, the propshaft?
Will the autobox need to be cooled, in which case will I need a different radiator?
Will it be difficult fitting the autobox in the space left by the manual - is it physically larger or smaller than a manual gearbox?
Which Ford gearbox will be appropriate?

Sorry if I seem clueless, but I don't have much experience with automatics - the reason I need one is because there's not enough room for my feet in the footwell with the clutch there......

Regards

Luke
tbone

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »

Auto boxes were the Borg Warner Type 35 on early Essex lumps, and Ford C4 on later ones,  the last Essex engines got the Ford C3. The Capri 2.5 & 3.0 both had autobox options tho i`m thinking they were only 3 speed? Knowing ford, i`d think that swapping them would be fairly straightforward, but generally auto boxes are bigger than manual ones. Thats about the limit of my knowladge on this one, sorry. Whoops looks like i was editing my reply as Brock was typing his, i`d listen to him, he`s probably got the most experiance in something like this.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:30:46 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
brock

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:49:05 PM »

along similar lines, it will be very much a case of trying it to see if it works in your situation, but autos to Essex units shouldn't be a problem, I believe that the early ones used the BW35 , like the Rover V8's and the later ones had Ford's own C4 unit. The auto will almost certainly be "fatter" and will have an oil pan underneath it and also a dipstick to consider. I can't believe it's as simple as bolting a Rover box on but it may be worth a look at one. You will also need the flex plate to suit (there may be considerations with the starter there ?) and maybe the spigot bush/bearing. Have you tried the NSRA site ? the tec side is quite good. Good luck
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:13 AM »

Manuals had a spigot bearing in the flywheel, auto's didn't, they had a blanking plug. so you would need one of those I think.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
rattusroddus

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »

Thanks very much for all of your advice - much appreciated.

Luke
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: