May 17, 2024, 04:37:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloody Virago's  (Read 7518 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »

Check the carb diaphrams common fault on viragos

Well now I wondered about that but didn't like to say as I didn't know whether the Virago had that kind of carbs - just shows I know more than I think!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Hagar

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »

Evening , new plug caps and  ...............................  still the same   Cry  , did notice it was ok for a couple of minutes when it was 1st. started though  ..... 

..  Hagar  ..   Grin 

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
rob62

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 05:12:54 AM »

pick up coil?
Cabman77

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »

CDI/TDI unit definitely, I had exactly the same problem. Check the Haynes manual it gives all the resistance readings to check for the CDI/TDI unit and the pick up coils.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
rob62

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »

must admit tci was my first thought, but i think hagar ruled that one out
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »

If Toad says check the diaphragms that's what I'd do..................

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Cabman77

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »

If a diaphragm was leaking I would have thought it would be a continual problem not intermittent. Or have I misread something as usual?  Huh Huh Huh Huh

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Hagar

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »

Evening , no progress its bloody raining on my bloody virago  ........ 

pick up coil?

were ok last year when checked , not checked this year    ..... yet

CDI/TDI unit definitely, I had exactly the same problem. Check the Haynes manual it gives all the resistance readings to check for the CDI/TDI unit and the pick up coils.

swopped with another unit  .....  no change

not done 1000 miles on 'em , but cant rule them out ... but I think it would act up worse if one had gone  .....

I've got another coil I can try .... ( a guy at work says he's heard of coils " tinking " when they are breaking down  ... ?  )

I think it may be electrical  ....  the cables to the coils and rev counter run through the part of the loom I had apart when the indicators played up earlier this year ..... wonder if I've stretched or loosend anything  .....

..  Hagar  ..   Grin 

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
rob62

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »

If Toad says check the diaphragms that's what I'd do.................

Not doubting toad in any way at all b.g..diaphragms definately worth checking...just that i had same symptoms on my virago last year turned out to be Tci u/s, went through the whole ignition system before i found the fault.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »

not done 1000 miles on 'em , but cant rule them out ... but I think it would act up worse if one had gone  .....
My GT550 ran fine with rips about 1 inch in each diaphragm - it was jusr ragged on idling and ran out of puff abot 90mph!

I think it may be electrical  ....  the cables to the coils and rev counter run through the part of the loom I had apart when the indicators played up earlier this year ..... wonder if I've stretched or loosend anything  .....
Always worth checking where anything's been changed - I'm a fine one to talk, haven't looked at mine since I got home last Friday!
 Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: