May 17, 2024, 10:08:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564737 times)
kapri

« Reply #5730 on: February 28, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

Kev, I've just spoken to the guy at Framptons Plates, (the link you posted), & he said they could only supply pressed aluminium plates for vehicles registered before 2001, as DVLA brought in regulations then that state every vehicle must have acrylic plates -?
To be honest, I'm quite happy with perspex, but ali' just looks nicer. I'll get a set made locally for now & can always change them later.

He's talking out of his trousers! Needs to read his own association details. Ali are perfectly legal IF stamped BSAU145d , as theirs are ( I have a set!! )  He thinks he can supply BSAU145a spec for vehicle pre 2001 but that is also incorrect as plate manufacturers can only supply 145d regardless of date of first reg UNLESS they are historic pre 73 plates which not covered by BS specs at all.

Unfortnately Framptons have   been bought out and have people with no experience taking orders. Blody shame as Steve Framptons business was only 2 miles away and I used to pick them up direct at discount.
kapri

« Reply #5731 on: February 28, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »

Yeah, I want to see the "Roller" back on the road!
Nipped down to the local auto factors to get some plates made up-
Can you make a square white one for the front?
Yes.
I show him my paperwork,  (you have to show logbook, proof of ID & address now to get legal plates made. I had a letter from the DVLA instead of the logbook).
20 minutes later -no, we can't make a square white one.
-Argh! 
This thing's fighting me all the way!

Kev, a regularly asked question- if it's a freshly registered vehicle, will it be 3 years before it needs an MOT, like normal new cars. Or are the regs different for Q plates? (some of the parts we've used are 60 years old).

Now you are on the system it will require an MOT every year. I said many pages back that it was possible you didn't need one  but once you have committed then you are on the system for good.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5732 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »

That's fine. Just needed to know.  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5733 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »

Yup, as many shows as I can get to this year -got 5 years worth of hassle to repay in miles of smiles.
As I've said before, there's gonna be a long period of "running in" & fettling, so I fully expect to break down on a regular basis, but I'll try to clock up as many miles as I can.
Next project's my XS650 Yamaha, but there's no deadline to worry about on that one, thank God!

You, or your Ute ?!!   Grin   Roll Eyes

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #5734 on: March 01, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »

Kev reckons UGF stands for UGly ...Fluffer.

mmmm not sure you get such a thing as she wouldnt be very good at her job  Grin

oh and well done to all involved
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5735 on: March 01, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »

Cheesy
At the moment the Pop's kinda trapped in the workshop. Chris's Moggy Minor's outside with the body half on & half off the chassis so I don't want to keep asking him to move it. Loony's due to paint a VW in the next few days so probably won't want me firing the truck up indoors. I need to get it up on axle stands though so I can run it through the gears & check the gearbox oil level, (done while the engine's running). Also got to get it running smoothly enough to drive as we've got a misfire & it doesn't seem to pick up on the throttle very well.
So at some point soon it's gonna have to move outside, under a cover, just so we can use it, (I've already bought a cheap car cover but it's currently covering Loony's new Rover!). Time to renegotiate my rent  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:34:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #5736 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »

two door ovals and one for rear of cab £228 from a firm in sheffield,, 7 weeks waiting and poor quality faded to dull crap in 18 months = meant to be 5 year vinyl  Angry Angry
and that was a few years back,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5737 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:44 AM »

got to get it running smoothly enough to drive as we've got a misfire & it doesn't seem to pick up on the throttle very well.

Had the same old petrol sitting in it for how long?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
kapri

« Reply #5738 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »

Fresh fuel last time I was up there. Had a plug go down  plus accelerator circuit was a total pain , Brock spent ages sorting it . Wouldn't surprise me if it had stopped working again . No reason for that apart from just wanting to put up a fight!
Archie

« Reply #5739 on: March 02, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »

Just needs burnouts. They fix everything.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5740 on: March 03, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »

New plugs on order. Number plates have arrived. I'll be shopping on Ebay for HT leads later.
They had to be marked as radio suppressed for the SVA test. The only ones I could find were bright blue. So I'm changing them cos I want black, but also in case they're part of the mis-fire problem.
It'd be great to take it to the open evening on Tuesday, but isn't really an option -it hasn't even left the yard under it's own steam yet. Need to get it running smoothly, jack it up & check every single nut & bolt's tight, check the gearbox oil level, check the steering, brakes etc. Put the windscreen in, fix the plates on... then start out just driving to the end of the road & back, building up to longer trips. I'm not going to rush things & end up killing it -or me.

Now the pressure of getting it through the registration process is out of the way, I'm winding down a bit. Had a day out in London yesterday with a couple of workmates & may take a drive somewhere later today, just for a change of scenery. It's nice to do something completely non auto related for once. Loony's also pretty busy, trying to get a VW finished in time for the owner to take to a show next week, so he'll probably be glad to have me out of the way for a while. I think the Valley Gas Speed Shop Chilli Night on the 23rd's a more realistic deadline. 

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #5741 on: March 03, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

Mark at Pertronix europe, in Camberley, stocks Pertronix black plug wire. Think you can buy sets or kits to do it yourself. I use the DIY ones 'cos you can get all just the right length. If you chose to do it that way i have a special crimping tool to do the ends.

Their phone number is 01276 65554

You'll need to call for the address, 'cos they've moved recentely. I know how to get there but I don't know the address.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
panthershaun

« Reply #5742 on: March 03, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »

cool mate.. I'm hoping to make the chilli night if a few of the guy's from here are going down.... don't fancy the run down on my own at the mo!!

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Clive

« Reply #5743 on: March 03, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »

Might pop up to it too!! :-)

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5744 on: March 03, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »

That'd be great. Would be cool to have a few fellow Monkeys there to help push when the Pop dies, to say Hello to.
Chris, I'll give Pertronix a ring tomorrow.

Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: