May 17, 2024, 12:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564779 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2790 on: February 23, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »

Hog riders?
They were out in force here on Sunday. A chapter of HOG, (Harley Owners Group), were having a coffee stop at Newlands Corner, about half a mile from our cottage. I quite like Harleys but just don't get that whole, buy a brand name, get an instant lifestyle thing.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2791 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2792 on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »

Proper bikes.  Grin

Cabman77

« Reply #2793 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »

Some years ago I was in Surrey Harley Davidson in Dorking. There was a late middle aged gentleman (late fifties maybe even 60 who knows) that had just bought a brand new harley. The dealers gave him £800 of accessories (I think it was that much). He was happily wandering around picking out a jacket, gloves etc etc until he said "I quite like those chips style helmets, or do you think it`s a bit too much?" to which our mate behind the counter said "what you choose for your helmet is your own concern sir", at which point I promptly wet myself and two others had to leave the shop before they burst.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
poprodder

« Reply #2794 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »

that brings back memorys!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2795 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »

Cool
With the heater water hoses routed down the side of the gearbox, I needed a means of turning the heat on & off -kinda like a tap. But what could I use? Hmm...
1/2 inch bore tap from the local plumbers merchants. I also bought a brass spigot to fit it to the hose, but it was too small for the 3/4" bore hose. Fortunately the 1/2" ERW steel tube I used on the engine manifold comes with a thread cut on one end, which is the same thread as the tap. So I spent a while with a hand file making a short adaptor.
The aluminium tap wheel was powder coated blue so I started sanding it off -maybe I could chrome it?  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:57:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #2796 on: February 23, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »

sorry back on track.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2797 on: February 23, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »

Subtle Chris.  Grin
I'd originally planned to mount the on/off heater control, tap, under the heater itself at the back of the cab. Not a lot of room to route the hoses in & out of the tap there though, so I decided to move it forward, between the seats. Much easier to reach while driving. Maybe I should tell people it's the nitrous tap!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:15:32 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #2798 on: February 23, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »

You'll need constant flow still when you switch the heater off or it can create a hotspot and blow the headgasket . So you need another pipe between the two in and out with another tap . Or simply make sure the heater can be sealed by all it's flaps to keep the heat in.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2799 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:13 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering about that Kev. Was thinking of linking the 2 pipes together out of sight under the dash with an H shaped union, but it'd need a tap in the middle, so when I turned the main one off, I'd have to open the secondary one? Not exactly convenient, but might be the only workable way of doing it.
Any suggestions?

Cabman77

« Reply #2800 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »

you wouldn`t need another tap in the cross connecting pipe. When the tap is open the hot water just spreads out to all sections of the pipe when you close the tap you just trap hot water behind the tap and the other side cools down. Take a look at a regular car(preferably older one) that`s all they do simply on off valve on the input side od heater matrix. Or take a look at your central heating system at home, turn off one radiator valve and what happens?? Something as simple as a car heater is very easy to overcomplicate, rule of thumb is keep it simple.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Tony oily bike

« Reply #2801 on: February 24, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »

Yeah, I was wondering about that Kev. Was thinking of linking the 2 pipes together out of sight under the dash with an H shaped union, but it'd need a tap in the middle, so when I turned the main one off, I'd have to open the secondary one? Not exactly convenient, but might be the only workable way of doing it.
Any suggestions?

If you're gonna go down the route of a valve, how about a domestic 'stat valve, that way you can dial in the temp and have your own version of 'air con'.
.... and if you shop around, you might just be able to find one in chrome!    Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
kapri

« Reply #2802 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »

Any suggestions?

If you're gonna go down the route of a valve, how about a domestic 'stat valve, that way you can dial in the temp and have your own version of 'air con'.
.... and if you shop around, you might just be able to find one in chrome!    Grin

It does need the recirculating flow on the Rover unlike many other models.Smiley

The water rises , at the rear of the engine, to the inlet manifold and exits to the heater via plate on the rear to the heater. From there it travels in a pipe under the inlet manifold and back to the water pump. At the same time you have an outlet on the thermostat housing that allows hot water return , straight to the water pump.

It is common practice ( but not right) to block off the exit to the heater via the rear of the manifold and the heater return to the water pump. In actual fact they need connecting to each other if not using the heater to ensure continuous flow and avoid hot spotting at the rear of the heads.

That's why Sd1s etc use seals on the heater box to stop heat in the cab rather than a water tap.

Firery Fred

« Reply #2803 on: February 24, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »

HOY!I ride a Harley,and no I haven't been in HOG, mostly arseholes the ones I've met, and no I didn't go into the shop with a suitcase full of money and ask to be a biker please  Tongue

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2804 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »

Well there y'go Fred, you're not a HOG rider so no-one was dissing you!   Tongue

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: