May 17, 2024, 10:27:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565011 times)
spanners

« Reply #7155 on: February 27, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »

and of course ther,s the other optoin that people dont realise works  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

HGV garage that calibrates tachographs  by putting a little gearbox between the speedo output on the transmission and the speedo cable and calibrate it by changing the little gears /ratio,
all set up on the vehicle on a rolling road  Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7156 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »

Yeah, that's the other option from Speedy Cables -a little brass box, about the size of a matchbox, either inline in a new cable, or screwed on the end of the existing one. As you say, swapping the 2 cogs about inside it speeds up or slows down the cable until the gauge reads correctly. Smiths speedos, like mine, are re-buidable though, so they can recalibrate the gauge itself.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #7157 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

Yeah, that's the other option from Speedy Cables -a little brass box, about the size of a matchbox, either inline in a new cable, or screwed on the end of the existing one. As you say, swapping the 2 cogs about inside it speeds up or slows down the cable until the gauge reads correctly. Smiths speedos, like mine, are re-buidable though, so they can recalibrate the gauge itself.

did you want a right angled drive aswell ? was to go at the back of the clock ?  only i saw one in one of my bits n, pieces box,s the other day its the type that fitted behind an early range rover ,smiths speedo,,

i may be able to find it again  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7158 on: February 28, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

Now you tell me!  Grin Got one on order from Speedy's Mike.

spanners

« Reply #7159 on: February 28, 2014, 08:15:15 PM »

if you come and rummage through my box,s to find it then you can have it for ,nowt,,  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7160 on: February 28, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »

I'm definitely not rummaging!  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7161 on: March 01, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »

Building up another list of welding jobs for Mr Loon. I've got my own 150 MIG welder at the workshop, but haven't used it since I've been there, (5 or 6 years now). Decided to get it up & running again though -at least I can tack parts together ready for Loon to fully weld, (I used to build my own trikes & made up a lot of the smaller parts on the Pop when we first started work on it, but I'm not used to welding thin sheet metal like the bodywork on the truck). So I'm taking the welder to the local repair shop next week for a new cooling fan & earth lead, then treating myself to a new helmet & will buy a bottle of "HobbyWeld" gas.

I'm moving the switches from behind the steering wheel, to a new "pod" on top of the gearbox tunnel where they'll be much more accessible. I'm also swapping the cheap plastic Lucas toggle switches for heavy duty American made metal pull switches. The tunnel will eventually be covered in black vinyl. The switch housing's taped in place here, awaiting weddling.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:50:00 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7162 on: March 01, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »

Spent the afternoon making the removable front panel. This will be powder coated gloss black.
I've arranged the switches in the order I use them most-
from left to right: headlight flash, fog light, lights, wash//wipe.
In the middle I've fitted a power socket. Mainly to plug a SatNav into for our European jaunts, but could be used for all sorts of things. I put it in the middle cos the ignition keys will hang from the dashboard above it & I didn't want them getting tangled up in the switches. I plan to get rid of the 2 locking fuel caps & the locking glovebox, so eventually there should only be 2 keys, one for the ignition & one for the door lock. The new switches are much bulkier than the old ones, so I'm modifying the panels under the dash to make room for them. Hopefully the wiring loom can be shortened to suit. Absolutely no idea how to wire these up, compared to the old switches, so I'll be looking for someone who knows how to use a multimeter soon -I'm looking at you Mr Newbie! 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:53:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7163 on: March 01, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »

Not very clear with the sun shining on it, (first time I've been able to say that for a while), but the switch panel's bolted in place on the housing here to make sure everything fits.

Olds

« Reply #7164 on: March 02, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »

Nice switch pod/panel. You have tagged all the cables, haven't you MM ?

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7165 on: March 02, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »

Erm, I've tagged all the old switches & the wires are still attached to them.

Mendalot

« Reply #7166 on: March 02, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »

They are substantial switches. I like that a lot, definitely in keeping with the rest of the truck Cool

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7167 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »

Not a lot to report at the moment, but still working on the Pop every afternoon. Got to prioritise the To Do list & just do the stuff that's feasible in the next couple of weeks, (hoping to get it roadworthy again by the first week in April). I'm still hoping to drop the Reliant fuel tank out & make up a new one, (it leaks around the pressed seams). Also want to get the interior sorted -need to fit the new dashboard, wire the switches, (one step closer after a visit from Old Newbie with his multi meter today), finish the roof panel & add mounting tabs for the rest of the upholstery.
Got some powder coating to collect tomorrow & another pile to drop off. Busy, busy.

kapri

« Reply #7168 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »

There's a guy down here making fuel tanks ridiculously cheap . My 6 gallon tank in steel cost me £75  I was getting quotes nearer £300 for ali versions.
Archie

« Reply #7169 on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »

Interesting
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: