May 17, 2024, 11:32:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565026 times)
poprodder

« Reply #5460 on: January 15, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

great progress.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5461 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:29 PM »

Getting there, slowly but surely.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #5462 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »

Getting there, slowly but surely.

hurry up,,, then you can do ,,EMILY,,, Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #5463 on: January 16, 2013, 12:42:34 AM »

total rubbish!!!!!!
ship it over

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
spanners

« Reply #5464 on: January 16, 2013, 01:12:53 AM »

total rubbish!!!!!!
ship it over

if you pay the shipping,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5465 on: January 16, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »

Got snow here again this morning. If I can lodge with you for ever more, I'd gladly bring it over Ben.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5466 on: January 16, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

Thick frost here today. No heating in the workshop meant Loony & I both arrived late & left early, so just a half day on the Pop today. Yeah, I know -slackers.
Working my way around the passenger door, cutting various fill-in pieces for Loony to weld in, (held in place with masking tape so he can see where they go). I've cleaned some of yesterday's welds back a bit & the door's shutting a little easier now, but will still need some "finessing" as Loony puts it.
The new lock pin panel covers the recesses for several old door lock fittings & should look much tidier once it's smoothed out & painted.
There are a few different sealing rubbers available that just glue to the door frame, so we'll find one that fits once everything's finished. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:09:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5467 on: January 16, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »

Top face of the sill panel needed a wedge shaped fill-in piece.
You can see here how the body is "channelled" -it sits over the chassis, creating a step up into the cab, (there are mounting points either side of the door to bolt the body to the chassis). That means the body sits lower to the ground, while the running gear is tucked up higher. The sill's only made from body gauge steel so wouldn't be strong enough to stand on. Not that you should need to, but you can guarantee some idiot will, (probably me). I may add a strengthening strap underneath when we take the body off the chassis.
The fuse box is all wired up but laying loose at the moment as it bolts to the floor panel & is hidden under the passenger seat.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:20:30 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5468 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »

I've cut a piece to fill in the front corner of the bodywork, continuing the A pillar repair panel around to meet the door frame.
Had a phone call from my Post Office van buddy, (the guy I go out in the van with every day), to say he had a parcel for me from Pop Browns. So I nipped out & met him on his delivery. New door lock bolts, plus a pair of door check straps. These are short metal arms with a rubber buffer on the end, that attach to the original door frame mounts with a clevis pin & pass through holes in the front edge of the door. They stop the doors opening too far. £6.50 each. Just propped in place inside the door here.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5469 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

I made & painted the vertical sill panels quite a while ago. Now the bodywork's finalised, they need shortening a bit. So I've trimmed an inch off the back edge, slotted the mounting holes & re-angled the front edge to sit over the A pillar piece I made earlier.
Getting the MOT done this week may have been over ambitious, but should be achievable by my day off next week. We both agreed though that as well as being necessary to get the paperwork done, we need to hit another milestone to feel like we're making progress & the end's in sight.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5470 on: January 16, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »

It must feel as if you're making real progress now surely?  It's looking really good!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5471 on: January 16, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »

Why thank you Bobbette.  Smiley
Yeah, we said today, filling in all the gaps makes it suddenly start looking like a real car! Apart from fitting the other door, we're down to the small detail stuff now. The body's not actually structural as it's got a seperate chassis, so as long as it's all tacked together & there's no sharp edges it should be O.K for the MOT test. We can seam weld everything later.
If we get the paperwork done before the April deadline, it looks like we'll be driving it as a "work in progress" for the Summer, gradually working through the jobs that are left as we go. It'll be a bit drafty to start with I think!

kapri

« Reply #5472 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:35 PM »

Just let me know when you need a 'tune' sorting.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5473 on: January 16, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »

Thanks Kev. I know you've got lots of other commitments, but would appreciate you checking the brakes again & firing the engine up, (hasn't been run for 6 months). I've got to sort the gearknob -Doc machined a new one for me, but the thread's a bit tight so it won't screw all the way down onto the stick, meaning you can't use the cut-out button on the top. I'll fix that in the next few days, then whenever you're available please. Sunday? I'm visiting relatives on Saturday, but Loony should be there.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5474 on: January 17, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »

Nothing worth photographing today, but all the welding's done around the bottom of the passenger door now. Now it's fully welded, the sill panel's strong enough not to need any extra bracing. We spent most of the day shuffling about muttering, Bloody 'ell, it's cold. Snow forcast for tonight, but hopefully we can still get to the 'shop, (it's on farmland a couple of miles out of town), as I want to get the top of the door opening finished tomorrow & move onto the driver's door.
We've got a couple of months yet to get the registration complete, but I want to get the MOT test out of the way as soon as possible now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:24:30 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: