May 17, 2024, 08:22:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564966 times)
terry t

« Reply #4065 on: November 03, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »

that gear selector slider was a bit of a mess there Andy. at least now you can select park straight away now. and it starts without messing about with the selector. have to give it a test run to check it all out  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:15:48 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4066 on: November 04, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »

Yeah, you never know what you're going to find with old motors.
My day off today, so I'm off to the workshop in a minute to meet Kapri. He's hoping to get the carb tuned then measure the output of the brake servo.
Getting there slowly.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4067 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »

Another day, another visit from the workshop brothers, Kev & Terry.
So what did we achieve today guys?
...no, I'm serious. What did we do?
Lots of tweaking & fine tuning & measuring going on, which means I'm in charge of passing spanners at the moment.
First job- start the engine & measure the brake output. Brrrmmm ...bleurgh. Silence.
O.K. First job- strip the carb down, fix the sticking float needles & rebuild it -then check the brakes.
Kev's pressure gauge showed the dual circuit servo to be working correctly, but although the suppliers say it's ambidextrous -it doesn't matter which side is hooked up to which brake circuit -it obviously isn't. One side of the servo puts out more pressure than the other & we have it plumbed in the wrong way round. We also need a bigger bore master cylinder & the pedal ratio needs sorting.
We made a start by taking out the brake pedal & cutting the bottom arm, which connects to the cylinder. We had a ratio of 3 to 1. It needs to be more like 5 to 1. So I cut 20mm out of the arm. Once Loony's welded it back together it'll be spot on.
Over the next week I need to change the oil, remove the alternator & drop it off at the local reconditioning shop, then look at reducing the exhaust note. We'll be following Loony's Dad's suggestion & mounting my 2 spare Cherry Bomb silencers side by side under the battery box, across the chassis. We'll hook the existing pipes up to them so the left pipe will exit to the right & vice versa. It'll make sense when it's done!
I'm seriously thinking of pulling out the heater now. After running the engine for just 10 minutes, the floors above the silencers were already warm. Loony tells me when he was sat in the truck for the duration of the SVA test, the gearbox tunnel was warm to the touch too. I can see it being a real sweatbox in the Summer. Have to invest in some heat reflective floor matting I think.
Moving forward, bit by bit.
As usual, thanks for your time today guys.  Kiss   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:38:01 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4068 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »

Does this sound like the correct alternator for an SD1 engine?

Ebay stuff

bigdarren

« Reply #4069 on: November 04, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »

sounds about right but hay what do i know im brain damaged !!  Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin

if you cant fix it with gaffa tape or cable ties then its broken
kapri

« Reply #4070 on: November 04, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »

Slowly ,slowly, catchee monkee ! Wink Smiley
spanners

« Reply #4071 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »

Does this sound like the correct alternator for an SD1 engine?

Ebay stuff

i,v seen that    but  me,,, I,, know nothin ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4072 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »

...so, was that a yes or a no then?

tbone

« Reply #4073 on: November 05, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »

Yes, that`ll do nicely  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4074 on: November 05, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »

Thanks TB. Looks like the cheapest option, so I'll order one at the end of the week.
Think I'm coming down with a cold, so taken the afternoon off from workshopping today. Instead I've come home to trawl the 'net for exhaust pipe bends cos OJZ Engineering, who supplied the rest of the system, weren't answering their phone this morning.

hunter

« Reply #4075 on: November 05, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »

Well tis Saturday,Perhaps they don't work Saturday's Roll Eyes

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4076 on: November 05, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

Their site says they're open till 12 on Saturdays. After looking elsewhere, I ended up emailing them.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4077 on: November 07, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »

Exhaust bends ordered today after phoning OJZ.
I'd planned to change the engine oil & filter today, but as usual, things didn't go quite according to plan. I arrived at the workshop to find Loony had taken the day off ill. Then I discovered one of the 3 horses who live in a field behind the workshop had escaped & was roaming around loose. Fortunately Loony had the owner's phone number so we were able to alert her -then I spent the next hour shepherding the wayward nag back into her field.
So no time for the oil change, but I did manage to take the alternator off & drive it over to the local repair shop. The guy there put it on his test bench & pronounced it to be working perfectly. Really? But there's no charge going into the battery & the charging light stays on. Odd. I have every faith in Terry's wiring, so the repair bloke's going to take a look inside it tomorrow. I think I'd rather have it checked &/or reconditioned, just for peace of mind.   

tbone

« Reply #4078 on: November 07, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »

Odd  Huh

Terry, you have a PM.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
terry t

« Reply #4079 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »

Odd  Huh

Terry, you have a PM.
Thats what i was thinking Tim. Andy when you get it back.dont put it on. untill i check the wireing out. 
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: