May 17, 2024, 09:59:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565004 times)
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #3300 on: June 23, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »

i like the rake

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
poprodder

« Reply #3301 on: June 24, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »

looks like a farely easy fix.
how much more on the list?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3302 on: June 24, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »

Lots Chris, lots.  Tongue
Ben, I quite like the amount of rake too -very 1970s, but I'm going for more of a vintage truck look -50s style, so will drop it back down a bit. I don't want it to shout Hotrod, but to be a bit more subtle. I'm hoping to sneak it into a few vintage shows when it's done -sorta subversive hotrodding.  Smiley

Dropped the back axle out this afternoon to clean up the areas where the shock mounts used to be. While it's out, we'll also weld any chassis joints that need doing.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #3303 on: June 24, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »

Its looking good Andy.
you want the back up a bit as it a pickup truck.when you put any weight in it .then it will sit straight and not sag down at the back
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3304 on: June 24, 2011, 10:53:46 PM »

True Terry, but I doubt it'll really get used much as a proper load carrying pick-up. It'll be fun for doing the shopping in though!

spanners

« Reply #3305 on: June 24, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »

i think it would have to be my daily driver Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
terry t

« Reply #3306 on: June 25, 2011, 07:03:29 AM »

True Terry, but I doubt it'll really get used much as a proper load carrying pickup. It'll be fun for doing the shopping in though!
yea but it will look the part.
are you going to fit a tow bar.you never know when you will need it.taking trikes for there tests etc.
or a new project  Roll Eyes
because i think some one here said you cant put one on after
WAYNE999

« Reply #3307 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »

i think its ok to fit one after a sva just make sure the wiring has standard colours and are wired correctly and not just to suit your trailer or light board as it will soon be an mot fail

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
kapri

« Reply #3308 on: June 25, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »

You can't fit a tow bar after SVA /BIVA as the only time you can be assigned a towing weight is during the test . There is also the issue that all new cars must have type approved tow bars .As you are the manufacturer it can only be type approved during the test.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3309 on: June 25, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »

Hiya Kev.  Wink
Mike, I'm hoping it'll turn out to be useable as my daily, though just evenings & weekends -no point doing the 80 mile a day motorway commute in it when I've got my little Ford Fiesta for that.
A towbar would be handy for towing vehicles, but not really worth the time & effort for the few times it'd get used.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #3310 on: June 26, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »

Hiya Kev.  Wink
Mike, I'm hoping it'll turn out to be useable as my daily, though just evenings & weekends -no point doing the 80 mile a day motorway commute in it when I've got my little Ford Fiesta for that.
A towbar would be handy for towing vehicles, but not really worth the time & effort for the few times it'd get used.

Re the tow bar, are you sure you're sure?HuhCheesy

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3311 on: June 26, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »

Grin Nice combo!
So-o-o hot at the 'shop today. Where did all that sunshine suddenly come from?! I always wear a sweatshirt to the workshop cos I'm fed up with getting burnt by sparks from grinders & welders when I'm in T shirts. Boy was I suffering today. I'm just not built for hot weather.
So while Loony was busy painting a car bonnet, I was drenched in sweat, smoothing out welds on the axle & making up mounting tabs for the brake lines. We also beefed up the 4 bar linkage mounts a little. A quick squirt over with a can of satin black aerosol paint for now & it's ready to go back in. Once the truck's tested & roadworthy, we'll run it for what's left of the year in basic satin black, then strip it down again over the winter for proper paint & polish. The axle will eventually be smoothed with filler primer & sprayed in high gloss 2 pack black with maybe a little discreet pinstriping. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3312 on: June 26, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »

We also welded some tapered lengths of flat strap down the back of the rear mudguard struts & made up extra bottom mounts to bolt them to the axle. That should cure the wobbly rear guards. The front guards have different shaped struts & don't flex in the same way. Lots of cleaning up to do on them, then I'll slap a heavy coat of smooth Hammerite on the struts for now. Eventually they'll be powder-coated gloss black. A couple of small jobs crossed off the list.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:05:03 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3313 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »

Not such a productive day today. I spent my meagre pennies this week on a big tin of smooth finish Hammerite paint, to paint the chassis & other components with. No idea why -I've never had any success with it. It's like trying to paint tar. 'Orrible stuff. I knew it'd turn out badly before I even bought it, but I need to get the chassis painted so I can get the back end back together. Predictably, when I coated the battery box & 4 bar suspension rods today, they ended up looking like a 4 year old had been given the job. Huge sags & runs, deep brush marks. Ick. Should've just sprayed everything in satin black.
So now I've got to wait long enough for it to harden so I can sand it off again & spray it. I've got a feeling other paints react badly when sprayed over it too. Bugger.
On a brighter note, I called in on Mr Dslam last night & picked up the new, longer front damper drop arms he'd machined for me. Nicely done in shiney stainless -many thanks Andy.
When we set the front suspension components up, we mistakenly fitted the lever arm dampers with the arms in the horizontal position. That meant they had lots of upwards travel but no downwards movement. The longer rods meant I could set them at the halfway, 45 degree point. Together with the new, thicker damper oil supplied by Phunkie Hiboy, the front suspension should be a bit smoother now. Thanks chaps.
Now, anyone want to buy a tin of Hammerite? (I just know everyone's gonna tell me they use it on everything with no problems at all).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:36:42 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #3314 on: June 28, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »

I'm not sure about Smoothrite but you can't paint over Hammerite,  even with itself , for 6 weeks.

I've checked the manual , runs aren't a failure Wink
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: