May 05, 2024, 03:37:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Front wheel alignment  (Read 1350 times)
ROD

« on: April 21, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »

I have just refitted the front wheel after doing the fork seals.The calipers (twin discs) are sitting as they should be,and the wheel has gone back in the reverse order to removal. As I test drove it today,I noticed a rubbing noise,thought it maybe just the pads re-aligning. Drove it for about 10 miles,returned home,still rubbing(cant hear it when youre on the move due to wind/traffic noise.) The wheel is sitting too far over to one side by about 4mm,allowing the discs to rub on one side of the casing of the calipers. Loosened axle clamp bolts,tapped the axle end with a rubber mallet,but it wont move across.Hmmm...Im wondering why this has happened..havent missed any axle spacers etc. Looks like I will have to remove the wheel and make up a spacer to push it over so that discs sit in middle of the gaps in the calipers.Anyone got any ideas/comments as to why,as Im a bit reluctant to just stick a spacer in there to cure the problem?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:59:22 PM by ROD » Logged
Olds

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »

Huh If everything went back as it came out it should be ok.
You sure the forks are straight? If they are even very slightly, bent when you put them back in the yokes there is the chance that the distance between the lower sections is not as it should be. Had this happen to me. forks looked straight, worked fine but if you turned the uppers in the yokes, you could see the width change at the bottom.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
ROD

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »

Thats a very good point ON! I did notice that one fork was extended slightly longer than the other when the axle was out,(about 5mm difference)but it had done a few hundred miles previous to this with the same problem. I had to release the yoke clamps and then put the trike back on the floor to even them up. Im putting this down to the compression of the spring. I think Ive got the top adjusters correct,will have a look tomorrow. Anyways,have fitted a wider spacer to one side (4mm) but when tightening the axle,the wheel still wouldnt slide over to put the discs in roughly the central position in the calipers. I ended up putting a screwdriver between the caliper and centre of the disc and pushing it over. Hard to explain exactly!I think this was cos the pads had 'seated' over to one side in the caliper on my run this afternoon,so in effect I was pushing in one pads piston,which in turn was releasing the other pad. I pressed the brake pedal a few times afterward to even them up again. It seems to have done the trick,but I will rotate one of the forks to see what happens .With the front end off the deck,Ive now ended up with the wheel rotating with drag from the pads,so feels roughly as a car disc brake set up does.(Im not experienced enuf with bike stuff) .
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:41:33 PM by ROD » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: