May 08, 2024, 03:50:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: getting started  (Read 15822 times)
InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »

haha.

i was trying very hard not to knock trikes (not only because there's more of you than there is me) but mainly as i haven't tried itos felt i should be too insulting.
I was just attempting to offer my inexperienced (yet still somewhat valid) opinion  Grin

but i can certainly see the plus sides and i (absent-mindedly) forgot to include the massive benefit for disabled riders.
However for my personal use at my age, i'd prefer a regular 2 wheeled bike or a 4 wheeled car.

I forgot about auto jumbles... i've been scouring biketrader and ebay and can't find anything that inspires me which is within my budget (although there is a nice ole HD ironhead sportster on ebay which i might be tempted to stretch to Cool )
Budget is an issue for me as i'm only a young whippersnapper, but i definitely like the idea of keeping it below £2k.
tazet
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »

Does it have to be a Harley? You are paying for the name. You can add an extra 0 on the price if it's got Harley on the tank.
Why not go for something old and British which could give a similar ride for half the cost.
It could be cooler than following the crowd- dare to be different.  Grin

InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 02:56:38 PM »

it doesn't have to be a harley Smiley And i hate how the price is so high... most of the time the quality is as good as, if not worse than the cheaper bikes.
I chose my Kawa VN900 over a few Harley's so i'm defnitely not trying to buy into the HD brand name to be cool Cheesy

I just think the old ironheads and knuckleheads look awesome.
There's not a bike in the current HD line-up that i'd buy though (if i had the £££ too!)

I was actually looking at the Bonnevilles... but couldn't find one under £2500

I'd ideally like a bike which won't require too much actual mechanical work, ie. engine/clutch rebuilding etc., as it's a bit daunting and wouldn't know where to start, so a nice easy first project would be nice where i can just hack away at stuff and wire in some new lights, new bars, do some painting and cosmetic work etc.

edit:  "-1 karma" ? Sad charming... Cry
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:59:01 PM by InsolentMinx » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »

There ya go -I've applauded you up to +1.  Wink
I agree that older Harleys are way cooler than more modern ones.
Again, with Bonnies, they're one of the big names of Brit bikes -the A list names that everyone wants, so are consequently more expensive. Plenty of big twin or single Brit motors about though. Autojumbles are ideal cos you can see exactly what you're getting for your money & can hear it running & get a "feel" for the machine before ever parting with your pennies. If you're not mechanically confident, take a mate with you who is. Most bike buying is common sense though -if it rattles like a bag o' spanners & chuffs out clouds of smoke, don't buy it, unless it's dirt cheap & you're confident you can repair it. If you're looking for something that'll need minimal mechanical work, you're probably best off with a 70s/80s Japanese multi cylinder. Maybe not as pretty as an old twin or single, but they were made in their millions so spares are still available & they're usually fairly idiot proof, plus they'll have a bit more oomph for modern day road use.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »

Grin thankies

i've been looking at some of the 80s bikes and they seem interesting, but now you've mentioned the autojumble i really want to go to one. Why can't they be every weekend like car boot sales?!!? Sad

i'll probably have to drag my mechanic mate steve along and someone with a trailer/van too... juuuust in case Cheesy

cheers
The pointy helmet

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »

Another point on wanting an old Harley.

You will pay a premium on ALL the parts you need.

Plus point. The (registered) sound.

And if you are going to "invoke the senses"  It is worth every penny.

It MAY even be worth considering shipping an engine from the States.

Cos the place is awash with em.

Parts supply?  Can you get em, How much, how quick?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:43:24 PM by The pointy helmet » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 06:29:12 PM »

Check the calendar -the next Kempton Park race course jumble's only 5 weeks away.
Saturday, March the 21st, 10am onwards, (get there early if you go). Take a look at the most recent entry in the Rally/Show Photos bit of the main site for an idea of what it's like.
On the A308, between Sunbury on Thames & Hampton Court.
1 mile from junction 1 of the M3, (just off junction 12 of the M25).

SUMO

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 07:14:55 PM »

comparing a knucklehead to an ironhead Roll Eyes

i run old harleys i like them - they are tractors - nice and simple to work on. and parts are pretty similar price to any other old bike, at least they are readily available. either import yourself [i do generally] or pay a bit more and there are lots of places that have pretty much anything you could need for an old shov/pan with next day delivery in england - thats where the premium is though. i tend to be happy to wait a week and import

the other added bonus is when you are riding round on your cool yamaha chop it does get annoying people asking if its a harley!!

oh and if you find a knuckle engine for 2 grand you would be doing well. as for importing an engine from the states - yep there are a lot of them there but by the time you have paid shipping and import duty vat taxes and anything else the govt can think of to bend you over for then its not generally worth it.

im not being negative here just what ive found.

InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »

Check the calendar -the next Kempton Park race course jumble's only 5 weeks away.
Saturday, March the 21st, 10am onwards, (get there early if you go). Take a look at the most recent entry in the Rally/Show Photos bit of the main site for an idea of what it's like.
On the A308, between Sunbury on Thames & Hampton Court.
1 mile from junction 1 of the M3, (just off junction 12 of the M25).

aye i saw that Smiley thanks. I did a quick google after you first mentioned the autojumble.
I might have to go take a lookie as it's not too far away from me (just the opposite side of the M25)
Anyone else planning on going?

comparing a knucklehead to an ironhead Roll Eyes

i run old harleys i like them - they are tractors - nice and simple to work on. and parts are pretty similar price to any other old bike, at least they are readily available. either import yourself [i do generally] or pay a bit more and there are lots of places that have pretty much anything you could need for an old shov/pan with next day delivery in england - thats where the premium is though. i tend to be happy to wait a week and import

the other added bonus is when you are riding round on your cool yamaha chop it does get annoying people asking if its a harley!!

cheers sumo.
i agree. i don't think harley parts are too expensive. there's such an abundance of official and aftermarket bits...

i constantly get asked what model Harley my Kawasaki is...
it's a little amusing, but does get boring after a while. Especially as it looks and sounds nothing like a Harley.
tazet
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »

Anyone else planning on going?

We are both working that Saturday unfortunatley. Janie, (boopadoopgirl), (however she spells it) and DavePostie may be going, also Chevy Rick might go too.
Firery Fred

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »

What about an old Yam sr500,great lookin single,in my opinion anyway

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 11:13:27 PM »

Not that I've done any building, but I reckon an old Jap bike is the way to go.  I learned what spannering I know on my Superdream and the advantage of something fairly common is that there's usually no problem getting parts - either new or from a breaker - there's usually a manual available, and a lot of the older jap stuff is relatively simple and easy to work on. 
And you can often pick up a non-runner (with various fairly simple problems) for next to nothing!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 12:43:29 AM »

My thoughts exactly Bobbi. Honda CB500T. Yamaha XS650, (getting rarer & as desirable as a Bonny). Both old Jap twins. Or Yamaha XS 750 or 850, (both shaft drive triples). Or Yam' XS1100, or Suzuki GS750 or 850. Kawasaki Z650, or 900 or Honda CB750, (all 4 cylinders).
Loads of choice. Personally I like old Brits. I've had a 650 & a 750 Bonny, but always fancied a big single -Royal Enfield maybe or Matchless, something like that. A Jap will be the cheapest bet though.
I'd like to do the next Kempton jumble but as Taz says, we're both working that morning. If I can get done earlier enough, I'd like to go.

brock

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 01:09:50 AM »

I haven't built a full bike yet, but I will. I too fancy the SR500, getting rarer though, but any Jap single or twin would do as a start. Nice clean lines with no extraneous components. There's one or two decent ones here, some odd stuff too but in amongst it some pretty neat ideas

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11112&highlight=bobber
InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »

oooh thanks for that link Brock!!! Cheesy some great ideas there!

Thank you too for the selection of bikes Manky. I really need to start reading up on some of the older bikes. My knowledge of different models is seriously lacking.
I'd seen pics of some of the ones you listed, and only today was shown a pic of a Yam Xs650 bobber on another forum, but as you say, they're getting rare and as such the price is going up...

I'll keep my eyes open and defnintely document everything as it happens.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: