May 08, 2024, 11:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: pipe bender.  (Read 7089 times)
peanut

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »

If it helps I found that I needed to drill extra holes in my Clarke pipe-kinker to let me jiggle the bends 'off-centre' where that is what I needed. These also worked for 'unbending' a bit. Cutting some pieces of flat timber to slip in each side of your pipe will help to keep it 'straight' in relation to the bender sides and so keep your bend 'flat'. None if this is needed if you have a 'proper' bender!
klogan45

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »

Hello Peeps...............
Can sosmeone please tell me how I can get a double bend in pipe and keep it 'flat'. Ive tried a couple of times and the pipe ends up 'twisted' its really trying my 'patience' Grin Grin
Seriously though I could do with some advice on this one please. I tried to go to the sites suggested by Doug, but it comes up with 'page error 404'.
What I want to do is put one bend of 60 degrees one way then a second of 60 degrees the other but keep the pipe flat without the ends lifting up or dropping down. I hope that I've explained it clearly, I know what I mean.
Thanks Guys
Regards
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »

I know what you mean K. All I can suggest is marking a line down the length of the tube before you start & making sure it's central in the former for each bend. We don't use more than one bend in any section of our frames, (the bottom tubes are done in 2 parts with the joint slugged & button welded), so don't get that problem. Had a slight rise on one side of a pair of handlebars I made once, which was easily cured with a little heat & a gentle tweak in the vice.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
klogan45

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 03:59:15 PM »

Thanks Mankster, I have made double bends by making them seperately then joining with inserts and button and circumference welds but would really like to be able to do double bends in one piece.
I'll try marking lines on the pipe and see what happens........unless anyone has any other ideas.
Thanks
Regards
k

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

brock

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »

when we used to have our bender mounted on the bench so that it bent horizontally, we had a degree wheel that was held in the tube end by an expanding bolt. The pointer was a length of welding rod attached to a little wooden block. As long as the wheel didn't move we could get same plane bends easily and, with a bit of thought, multi plane bends left and right handed.
klogan45

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 10:27:43 PM »

Hello Brock, Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant 10/10, well done sir.
It's so simple is'nt it, when you know how.
Thanks for that, I'm going to give it a go during the next week or two and I'll let you know how I get on.
Regards
K

brock

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 12:10:24 AM »

I don't know about brilliant, just what we came up with. A little tip would be to mount your pointer at 90 degrees to horizontal, pointing sideways not up, that way it can be anywhere on the table not just directly under the tube, set it to bender centre line and it will do for any size tube. Good luck,

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:53:41 AM by brock » Logged
reliantman

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:58 AM »

Bloody good advice as usual. I have been looking at these little laser level things and wondering if one or two could be fixed to the bender.
My mate bought three brand new ones for a fiver at a car boot recently, jammy git.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: