May 09, 2024, 09:54:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prop brake caliper??  (Read 2263 times)
ROD

« on: May 05, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »

Well Ive been thinking about ways I can eliminate the cables going to the proposed golf rear calipers.My brakes will be all on one pedal,so I need another mechanically operated brake .A prop brake will need only one (poss unobtrusive )cable going to the caliper.
     There were a limited number of 'bikes with a cable operated front caliper ,but havent been able to see any in the flesh ,to suss how the caliper works .Apparently they are on a sliding type mechanism that moves the caliper over as the pads wear (ALA the golf rears?) Ive sorted a way of making one pad push against the disc within the caliper.Will be posting pics of my drawings(cos I cant do all this other malarkey to get stuff on here!) soon .
        Meanwhile ,anyone got any comments good or bad positive or not??
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:03:17 AM by ROD » Logged
tbone

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »

If not using the rear caliper handbrake mechanism, find 2 different calipers to use on the rear and use one golf one for the propbrake.
Or take a look at some of the modern mountain bike calipers for a smaller compact unit.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:35:41 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
ROD

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »

Mountain bike calipers,or minimoto will work for a handbrake ,when stationary ,but I dont think theyd be any good as a emergency brake,which apparently I have to fit if all the 3 wheel brakes are on one pedal?
       The Golf caliper or any other ,would be good for the propshaft brake,but a bit too large ,and the cable exits ,as far as I can see,at 90 degrees,which would bring the cable route immediately vertical,if the caliper was mounted symmetrically

Anyways ,what will I do with my time to infill the gap until I start the build ??  Grin!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:52:33 PM by ROD » Logged
reliantman

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »

I keep posting and finding you lot have already said it in another post. Too clever for me. Huh
tbone

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »

"to clever for me", is what i spend most of my time thinking  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:57:40 PM »

I spend most of my time thinking Is it cake time yet?  Tongue

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ROD

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:06:54 AM »

I only dream up these ideas so that it takes my mind OFF eating cake! Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: