May 09, 2024, 02:20:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant carb turn round?  (Read 1573 times)
ROD

« on: May 02, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »

Just setting up my engine so that I can see the various protrusions etc before we build the frame.Dunno if this is standard practice or not. Is it OK to turn the carb thro' 180 deg. to face it outward? Want to put a nice bellmouth on there later. Anyone experience running probs? Shouldnt think so ,as the A series (mini ) engines are like that.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »

No, that's fine Rod. Just make sure you can route the throttle & choke cables O.K
Also check it doesn't protrude beyond the line of your arms & legs when sat on the trike -during the MSVA/BIVA trike registration test, they check for pedestrian unfriendly sticky-outy bits by running a large foam roller down the side of the vehicle. It's done with the rider aboard though, so remember to stick your elbows out!
Reliant mounted the carb facing inward over the engine to pick up warm air for cold weather running, but Flap's & Muffin's trikes both run them facing outwards. Taz's & my own builds have the carb turned through 90 degrees to face forward. If you look at the mount on the carb manifold, it's diamond shaped. The older 750cc Reliant motors used Zenith downdraft carbs. Same spacing on the mounting studs but 90 degrees around from the SU carbs. So you could fit an early Zenith manifold to turn your SU through 90 degrees -or just redrill the later ones like we have.
Have a look at Taz's trike project thread, (stickied at the top of the General Discussion page), & you'll see the 6" Harley bellmouth she's using, fitted to the carb with an adaptor plate made by Doc, ("Twisted Patience").

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ROD

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »

Didnt look under the heat shield TBH! . I'll build the frame to clear the outward facing carb ,then turn it round for the test!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: