May 17, 2024, 11:24:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565023 times)
spanners

« Reply #6270 on: June 14, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »

shakey,, next sunday ?  sounds interesting,, will there be much to see and do,,
may try to convince the missus to go

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
poprodder

« Reply #6271 on: June 14, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »

NSRA Nostalgia Nationals
 21st - 23rd June 2013

Shakespeare County Raceway
 Long Marston Airfield
 Long Marston
 Stratford-upon-Avon
 CV37 8LL
 http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6272 on: June 14, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »

The National Street rod Association Nostalgia Nationals Mike.
Hotrod drag racing over the whole weekend, starting on Friday afternoon.

Usually about 15 quid a ticket for the day, (think it's 25 for the weekend but not sure), but a lot of action for your money.
Scottie will be there racing the Tiki Munki. Sit in the grandstand & watch the racing, wander around the pits, shop at the trade stalls, check out the customs in the camping fields, or just cruise your truck around the site for the day. Burger vans & loos on site, but a couple of nice pubs just up the road too. Usually a Sunday market going on on the same site too.
I'll be at the Pendine speed trials in Wales on the Saturday, then the drags on the Sunday. I only normally do 2 drag meets a year -this one & the Hotrod Drags, which are more or less the same event.
More info here:

http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:34:43 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #6273 on: June 14, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »

i  think i,ll aim for a day out on the sunday then (if nowt c8cks up this coming week)
i,v got ,,BIG,, ideas for next summer so i want to check a few things out  Wink Wink
and maybe meet a monkey or two ,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
kapri

« Reply #6274 on: June 14, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »

Would've thought that'd affect general engine running, rather than acceleration Chris. Once warmed up, it ticked over quite nicely. Maybe a little mechanically noisy, but it's a 30 year old engine with lots of wear so it's never gonna be whisper quite & my daily driver probably makes as much noise.
There's a plastic cam on the side of the carb that regulates how the fuel shot from the accelerator pump is delivered. There's a selection of 8 different cams available to give different performance characteristics. I'm wondering if it's worth buying the set & experimenting to try & get a more even, progressive delivery. Something to talk to the rolling road guy about.
I'm aiming to drive the truck to the Nostalgia Nationals drag race meet at Stratford on Avon next Sunday, so probably won't tinker with it too much before then, but will do a few more test drives after work each afternoon.

To be honest Andy I don't think you'll get it a lot better than it is now. The 'all or nothing' bit (IMO) is you not used to an auto as they don't have the immediate take up of a manual , you need to feather the throttle more for cruising .Unless things have changed since I drove it then it's pretty much what I'd expect it to be , especially on that age of engine. I also believe you'd be wasting money with Tom.

Let me explain. Part of the lack of performance is down to loss of cam lift, from both worn lobes and also from the concave area underneath . If it's not lifting then you simply aren't getting the fuel in and out quick enough to make power. This is also contributing to the noise , along with the wear on the rocker shafts which in turn lose yet more lift.

Basing my opinion on the state of the cam I'd venture you are also losing a fair bit of compression down the bores.

Save the money you'd spend at Toms ( £200 last time a mate went) and put it towards rebuilding a spare block ready for a winter swapover .

Based on the pickups weight and the performance I experienced I'd say you are at  25-30% down on power from the performance. Timing good as is mixture though a comp test again  and a look at vacuum produced will confirm my diagnosis I think .

I all my years of playing with Holleys I've never changed an accelerator cam and only changed vac secondary springs a couple of times.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6275 on: June 14, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

Fair enough Kev, I bow to your superior knowledge.  Grin
I'm not planning on racing the thing & as long as it'll hit 70 ish without expiring I'm happy. I'd just like it to be a bit more manageable at slower speeds. I really want to use the truck on a regular basis, for both long & short journeys, so for now, I'll just keep on driving it & hopefully it & I will find a happy middle ground.

Baychimp

« Reply #6276 on: June 14, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »

Well done that man. In the words of Canned Heat You're on the road again.
Olds

« Reply #6277 on: June 15, 2013, 07:36:34 AM »

Glad to hear that you're on the road again. Smiley
Auto boxes always have a slight delay between putting your foot down and anything happening (you do get used to this). This coupled with an engine that doesn't pick up smoothly can be a bit disconcerting.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
terry t

« Reply #6278 on: June 15, 2013, 08:50:18 AM »

What diff are you running Andy LDV 200 axles used a 3/9-4/375-4/875-5/125  i think the sd1 rover was 3/5 Huh
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6279 on: June 15, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »

Yeah Terry, it's from a 200 LDV Pilot. We're running quite tall tyres, which may counteract the low ratio, but it's all guesswork really. I know Sherpa/LDV axles came in different ratios, but I've no idea if they'd make much difference.
Been thinking about it as I've been trudging round my postal delivery in the rain this morning. Blocked primary jet?
It started fine, but wouldn't tickover -I had to keep my foot on the throttle to stop it stalling.
Using the choke killed it.
Once it was warm & we pulled out of the yard, it was struggling, as if running out of fuel -I had to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running.
Up the hill outside the yard, where I could put my foot down a bit more, it picked up & accelerated well -secondary/accelerator pump kicking in?
By the time we'd done a couple of miles around the ringroad & got back to the yard, it was ticking over O.K.
Loony jumped in & blatted it back & forth around the yard & thought it was fine, but that was heavy footed braarrp, braarrping about, spinning the tyres on the gravel. It's the more sedate pootling along in traffic bit that wasn't quite right yesterday.
Maybe it just needs a bit of a run again as it's been stood for a week or two.
Probably won't get to take it out this afternoon cos it's still raining here. I've just got home from work to dry out after getting soaked every 5 or 10 minutes for the last 4 hours  Sad

kapri

« Reply #6280 on: June 15, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »

Have you had a look in those filters to see if they are getting blocked ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6281 on: June 15, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »

The inline fuel filters Kev? That's my first check when I head to the yard in a minute. They're clear plastic & I can see the one in the engine bay. The fuel was very yellow in it but no obvious layer of "silt" in the bottom.
The rain's eased off but the wind's getting up now instead. That makes working outside in the gravelly yard like working in a sand filled wind tunnel. Not much fun. I'll have a look at the 2 filters, (one in the engine bay & one under the back end between the fuel tank & the pump). I've got a spare one, so if one looks gungier than the other I can swap it for a clean one.
Dried out now so I'm off to the workshop.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6282 on: June 15, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »

...back from the workshop.
No Mr Loon there today. He's hurt his back so he's taking some time off. The Pop's under a cover outside the workshop, the keys are inside the workshop. The yard's surrounded by open countryside & when it's windy it's a genuine 4 man job to get the tarpaulin back on the truck & strapped down. So all I could do was crawl under the back end & peer at the fuel tank/fuel pump filter. Didn't look too bad & certainly not blocked. Can't find the spare filter, so I'm off to Ebay to buy a couple more.

terry t

« Reply #6283 on: June 15, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »

stick those SUs on cant go wrong easy to setup and adjust  Wink Wink
could be any thing on that Holly. did you find out what the vacuum was and what power valve is in there
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6284 on: June 15, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »

The SUs I bought as a back-up got leant to a mate of my brother. Haven't got them back yet.

Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: