May 17, 2024, 08:33:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564967 times)
kapri

« Reply #6210 on: June 02, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »

Why not just swap a head over rather than swap a valve , you've a couple of pairs as spares haven't you? With the bend at the bottom is says rocker shaft /valve not cam end.
Surprised that it hasn't broken an ali rocker arm first rather than pushrod being bent ?

Must be valve not opening as the cam lobe would be rising against a fixed load. If the valve was stuck open and the piston hit it then it would be 'off lobe' anyway so plenty of free space for it to return without bending.

If the lifter were stuck open (high in the bore) then the valve wouldn't shut and you'd see piston to valve contact witness marks.
kapri

« Reply #6211 on: June 02, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »

andy,, did you say that youde had trouble losing water,,doe,s the water go done a little overnight ,, or when stood a few days ?
you looking at the water way and front cylinder on the block Mike. i thougt that and the state of the head

If you compare teh first and second block pictures that mark doesn't show up? With a water leak I'd expect that head to be a lot cleaner as it would turn to steam in there .Plus on testing all exhaust temps were even across the range.

I can't see what would cause water running in the rocker cover other than condensation, no water source at all up there ?

Andy, where is the emulification you are talking about ? Do you mean some white gunge in rockers cover  but oil is still fine ? If so the Halfords Classic oil is Duckhams which was always  notorious for white gunge in oil cap and where any condensation. Seen mostly in engines that did a lot of about town work and never got hot enough to burn off the residue.

Isn't that the side that has the broken breather on the rocker cover ?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6212 on: June 02, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »

Hi guys.
Right, I swapped the rocker assemblies for a spare pair (remember I mentioned they had a different shaped valve contact area -oval instead of round). So it's not a partly seized rocker. I checked & lubricated them before fitting.
Yes, it's the rocker cover that I sheared a breather off in. I've already replaced both breathers with right angled Moroso ones.
I couldn't figure out how the water got up into the rocker area either, but the inside of the cover was wet with clear water, not emulsified oil, when I took it off, like condensation on a window -which is why it made me think of steam too.
The emulsified oil, (creamy oil/water mix), was right across the valley & around the lifters. The underside of the valley gasket was coated with it too. I wondered if the bent pushrod could've cracked a waterway somewhere, but don't think there's anything near it & no sign of any damage. The engine was covered overnight before reassembly with plastic, (couple of black bin bags), with plastic tarpaulin over the top. Maybe it "sweated" a little when the sun came up, but not that much surely?
The water leak was just from a rubber hose when the engine's running, (the short bypass hose from the thermostat housing), that refused to seal properly. External leak, not internal. The radiator water level stays constant.
Glad you confirmed the bend at the bottom of the pushrod says top end problem Kev. When the first one bent I dropped it back in to photograph it the wrong way up. They've both bent at the bottom.
I could swap the head for a spare, but would still like to pull the valve to confirm that's the problem. Of course, the spare heads may be duff too as they're just as old. At least I know everything else is O.K on this one.
I've used spring compressors on motorcycle heads & it's a job I hate doing. Got a long day at work tomorrow, but if I get finished in time I'll call in at the garage PD works at & see if he can pop the valve while I wait.
Any ideas chaps?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #6213 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:57 AM »

When charger sells and have spare cash left over. Chevy crate motor Wink
Mr_G

« Reply #6214 on: June 03, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

When charger sells and have spare cash left over. Chevy crate motor Wink

If only I had a garage and £12.500 Sad

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6215 on: June 03, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »

You wouldn't believe how many really eager, definite buyers I've had who've arranged viewings, then not turned up. Ebay is full of muppets. Waiting for a call from another "cash buyer" at the moment.
Called at PD's place of work, but he was on his lunch break, so I missed him.
Mr Newbie, could I take you up on that offer of the spring compressor please.
Think I'm gonna have a day off from the Pop today & tinker with my bike instead.

Olds

« Reply #6216 on: June 03, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »

Doh!
We just passed by the workshop. No one there.
As for the compressor it's here anytime you want it. Or I can drop it off next time I'm on the way to Sherbourne but not sure when that will be.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6217 on: June 03, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »

Yup, just had a text from Mr Loon to say he's taking a break to enjoy the sun. So I'll go try PD again & get back to you Dave.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6218 on: June 04, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »

No luck with PD, but now waiting for Loony to retrieve his Dad's one from their garage, so I've been tinkering with my motorcycle instead today.
A few days ago I asked Mr Old Newbie to make me a new steering wheel centre boss. It's a Morris Minor wheel, so had a red letter M in the middle, which seemed appropriate for the Mankymobile. Trouble is, everyone recognises it as a Morris badge, so I wanted something more unique. Dave's foolishly shown himself to be a bit of a dab hand at acid etching, so when he called at the workshop for a cuppa, I gave him the Moggy centre cap. 24 hours later, he delivered this. Etched into aluminium. Thanks yet again Dave.
I really like it. I don't want to keep adding more & more badges & logos to the truck, but with the Monkey head bonnet badge made by Steve Brock & replacement engine rocker covers, there's now no manufacturer's names on show, which is what I wanted. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6219 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:05 PM »

By the way, for those that have asked, the yellow dashboard is only temporary. It's high build primer, sprayed by Terry T when he wired the dash up. It'll eventually be green.

poprodder

« Reply #6220 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

neat.

terry t

« Reply #6221 on: June 04, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »

By the way, for those that have asked, the yellow dashboard is only temporary. It's high build primer, sprayed by Terry T when he wired the dash up. It'll eventually be green.
not having PEA yellow  Wink
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:06:24 PM by terry t » Logged
Baychimp

« Reply #6222 on: June 04, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »

Nice badge. Good likeness did you model for it, or did he do it from memory. Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6223 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »

I'll remember that when you want a ride to the Chelsea Cruise in it Bob.  Tongue
Yellow, green, black, little bit of blue -it's a multi coloured swap Pop at the moment.

Baychimp

« Reply #6224 on: June 04, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »

Ok Ok only joking. Did you manage to get a look at the valve, or did you just tinker with the bike today.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: