May 12, 2024, 03:08:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: You don't see that every day.  (Read 3661 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: January 24, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »

I was wandering around the Natural History Museum in London on Friday afternoon. I'd gone there specifically to see the life size model of a blue whale that the museum's famous for & the dinosaur exhibits. Just my luck -both sections were closed for refurbishing, (though I'm not sure how you refurbish a dinosaur).
The whale's in the marine section, obviously, & was hidden behind temporary plywood hoardings. There was a door in the temporary wall, slightly ajar, with a bunch of visitors taking turns to look in.
I was tutting to myself about bloomin' tourists gawping at stuff, then realised I was as much a tourist as them, so I took a look too. I found myself face to face with a blue whale, one enormous eye peering out of the doorway at me, like it was hiding in a cupboard. That's surreal I thought.
Then I looked past the face & saw a man hoovering a whale. With a Henry Hoover -one of those little wheeled ones with a face printed on it. It looked like one of those little fish you see on nature documentaries, cleaning the food scraps from bigger fish. That's just bizarre I thought. I bet Darwin never forsaw that. I really wish I'd photographed it, cos now I'm not convinced I saw it.  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:26:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:41:58 PM »

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 10:35:42 PM »

found myself face to face with a blue whale, one enormous eye peering out of the doorway at me. That's surreal I thought.
Then I looked past the face & saw a man hoovering a whale. With a Henry Hoover -one of those little wheeled ones with a face printed on it. It looked like one of those little fish you see on nature documentaries, cleaning the food scraps from bigger fish. That's just bizarre I thought. I bet Darwin never forsaw that. I really wish I'd photographed it, cos now I'm not convinced I saw it.  Tongue

Hahaha that REALLY made me laugh out loud!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »

Grin
There is a vid on u-tube of the Blue Whale in the American Naural History Museum being  vaccumed. Though they are not using a Henry Hoover. Looks a bit more, High tech

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 11:31:41 PM »

Well naturally, being American!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:58 PM »

Is whale hoovering a thing then? I bet the Yanks claim they're the World Series champions at it

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:25 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Olds

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »

Is whale hoovering a thing then?  
Grin Must be. Seems the yanks streamed the hoovering of the whale, live on their website.

The giant Diplodocus skeleton that stand in the main entrance hall of the NHM is going to be replaced next year (for a while at least) by the Blue Whale skeleton that is currently in the marine section.

hunter

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:48:12 PM »

I see Wales everyday.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:56:51 PM »

Grin
I heard something about the display being changed ages ago on the radio.
My Dad was born in Battersea & loved London. Had loads of day trips around the city as kids & I've driven past the museum a million times. I'd convinced myself that I must've been in at some point, but I'm not sure I ever have. It was my day off on Friday & too wet to work outside, so on the spur of the moment I jumped on a train & headed for the "Smoke". Had a really interesting afternoon in the NH museum & the Victoria & Albert museum next door.

Olds

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »

I see Wales everyday.
Try not to let that get you down.   Wink  Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »

They have a cure for that now -it's called the Severn Bridge Smiley

hunter

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:33 PM »

They have a cure for that now -it's called the Severn Bridge Smiley

But which one. Grin

I
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »

Doesn't matter which one, it's free to get out of Wales!

hunter

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 05:50:26 PM »

But not to get in. Angry

I
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: