May 06, 2024, 09:40:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: xmas  (Read 4772 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:25:29 PM »

I'm just fed up with it by the time the day comes around - used to love it when the kids were small but I don't make much effort now.

One of the big differences from when I was young is that there used to be stuff that was a treat we only had at Christmas - chocolate biscuits, fizzy pop, tangerines etc.  We have them all the time now so what's special?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »

Gawd, what a miserable, cynical bunch of old gits we are!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
afghanman

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 10:26:08 AM »

What about those nice big Christmas box's  Wink When we lived in Farnham we had a very nice postie called Joe, he even forgave my Jack Russel for biting him Roll Eyes
We used to give him a fiver every year.

pkdsculpture.moonfruit.com
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »

Ha! Urban myth mate. Some guys do very well out of Christmas; Dave-Postie, who drops in here occasionally, got enough tips one year to buy a Ford Consul. I get bugger all on my delivery & I'm the nicest Postie in the World. Depends where you deliver. I work in inner city Basingstoke, where the majority of my customers don't even speak English, let alone celebrate Christmas. The rural deliveries do best.
We give our Postie a fiver too.

ROD

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »

I think its all about the kids .We,ve got 2 at home still ,but the older one  whos 22 isnt interested at all. The younger,17 still hasnt had her child xmas spirit worn away , and cant wait. Over the last 3 years we've gradually fazed out the decorations ,now we just have a tree.Going to the eldest lads house for xmas day. Will be ok for the first couple of hours ,then I'll be bored s**tless! Couple of years ago we all went to a local restaurant for xmas dinner ,very nice ,but we all agreed just not the same as being at home with the smell of the dinner cooking and preparing it all,plus opening the presents in between.Would sooner be on a warm beach somewhere ,and forget all about xmas and new year!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »

My Mum's going to Canada for 6 weeks, over the Christmas & New Year period, to stay with my sister & her family, (her hubby Baggie belongs to the forum). Will be the first year without seeing my parents & the first Christmas since my Dad passed away, so will feel strange. I think the Christmas spirit starts to wane once you reach the age where you have to start spending money on presents for other people! Suddenly you realise how much commercial pressure there is to spend, spend, spend. When I got into my 20s I vowed never to have anything to do with it any more & spent several Christmases refusing to celebrate it at all. Feel a bit guilty about that now as it must have spoilt things a bit for the rest of my family. Still don't really bother with presents though.
Like my fellow Postie Shaun, I just see it as weeks & weeks of extra work, but will do my best to be Chrismassy for the benefit of others -& probably secretly enjoy it too.
Taz will no doubt have to spend some time on Christmas Day dealing with the ponies at her livery yard, so I'll go help, which might be a nice way to spend the morning, then home for a big lunch & curl up on the sofa together to watch a film or six & moan about having eaten too much.   Tongue
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:25:08 PM by tazet » Logged

renegade53

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »

not so much miserable etc more a case of money me thinks. remember we used to have a sock at the end of the bed when yer woke up and it had what we looked on as treats fruit mainly. oranges apples etc. opening the pressies by the coal fire. going outside in the snow and coming in later to be by the fire. xmas starts way toooooooooooooooooooooo early now

panthershaun

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »

What about those nice big Christmas box's  Wink When we lived in Farnham we had a very nice postie called Joe, he even forgave my Jack Russel for biting him Roll Eyes
We used to give him a fiver every year.

My cousin gets shed loads on his round and I think the best last year was £1700.00, bit of a sod when you collect but don't deliver  Angry Angry Angry f*&*king bosses changed my collection just before crimbo 2 years ago and the "new" postie got all my chuffing tip's  Angry Angry Angry Angry wouldn't have minded but the guy's an a***ole  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: