May 13, 2024, 06:20:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: first trike  (Read 6437 times)
panthershaun

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »

isn't a jig what the Irish do after too much Guinness (not really possible) when someone does the twiddly twiddly thing on a fiddle Grin Grin Grin welcome in mate  Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 11:39:59 PM »

I'd just put wheels on the jig......!!

Beware the Ides of March, But!
hornet6

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »

good workmanship...cant wait to see it finished. how long has it taken in the build?

no projects ever finished
biggeo

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »

so far 3 full days and 4 nights (3 or 4 hrs) made most of battery /elec box today took about 3 hrs will post a couple of photies when finished

geo

ride it like you stole it
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 10:32:55 PM »

I've taken 4 years on mine so far! On & off whenever I get the time.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
biggeo

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »

yes getting fed up goin to take a few weeks off to try and find a engine the one ive got came from a shed (lay for 3 years)
pistons seized inside liners tried everything (including diesel) cant get them to budge but gearbox n axel fine and it came with a v5 think i will finish battery box n send my ali away to get slabs machined. whats the best master cylinder if your linking front and rear brakes to pedal only. front calipers zx9r f2p (had a spare front end from my 2004 track bike) rear mk4 gti calipers any help would be great
geo

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 11:00:06 PM »

Hiya Geo,
Not sure of the best way to remove seized pistons. Anyone got any ideas? Reliant motors are pretty bullet-proof, so I doubt it's beyond repair. I always recommend the guys at Michaels of Selby, A Reliant spares shop in Yorkshire. They've been very good in the past with advice & provide a fast mail order service for parts. Their details are in the Links for commercial purposes section of the forum.
There's an entire Reliant for sale at the moment down our way, (Guildford, Surrey), for 300 quid. You could buy that & break it, then sell the axle & gearbox if yours are good & recoup some of the cost. We've got the seller's phone number if you're interested.
We use 5/8" bore Girling master cylinders for linked brakes. Available from lots of places but I bought mine from MerlinMotorsport
http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/index.php
Personally I'd suggest using just one front disc if you're linking the brakes, or at least add a bias valve to control the fluid going to front & back. Otherwise the front discs are likely to be more efficient than the backs & you'll nose dive all the time, locking the front wheel up before the backs & losing steering.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:22:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

biggeo

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »

heres some pics of my battery/elec box took engine out to weld the underside of the frame
now just the labourious task of grinding the welds
geo

biggeo

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »

oh and thanks for the offer of the reliant but a long way to travel take about 10-12 hrs even more wi a trailer

geo Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »

Yeah, maybe a bit too far then!
As has been said here before, don't get too carried away with grinding the welds back. Don't weaken the joint. I sand the high spots off mine then add extra weld to the low spots to create a curved joint. 

tbone

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »

R.E. your piston problems, ATF poured all over them and allowed to soak for a couple of days, (keep toppin it up),then a wooden block on the piston and whack it with a large hammer, several short sharp whacks should get some movement. Coke a cola also works but may take a bit longer  Wink

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 11:29:15 PM »

ATF?

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:44 AM »

Automatic Transmission Fluid...........

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Stephen Mac

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »

hi biggeo the guy i bought my reliant off has another complete one for sale area its in is east renfrewshire
biggeo

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »

any idea how much he wants, think ive found 1 about 20 mins from me friend of a friend but the guy is away fishing for a week and the car is sitting on a farm at moment and the farmer doesnt like visitors (hes got a gun Grin)
so will have to wait been told it has a yellow top engine and a b rear axel will have to wait and see
geo

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: