May 12, 2024, 08:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: International Rescue.  (Read 7224 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: August 09, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »

MMMotors to the rescue.
I was commuting home this afternoon after plodding the streets of Basingstoke in the rain delivering the mail, when I came across these guys.
They were pulled over on the side of the A331, a very busy & very fast stretch of dual carriageway just off the M3 near Aldershot. Two Dutch guys on their way to this weekend's "Hotrod Hayride" rod meet at Bisley. They'd set off from Southern Holland at 4.o.clock this morning, reaching our soggy sceptred isle through the Channel Tunnel. I pulled in behind them to see if I could help. Fortunately they spoke very good English as I speak very bad Dutch. They'd run out of petrol. No problem. Hop in & I'll give you a lift to the nearest filling station. 10 minutes later we're back. Fill up. Won't start. Bugger. The hard shoulder on this road's very narrow so they'd run the nearside wheels down into a drainage gulley to get as far out of the raging traffic as they could. That meant the outlet pipe on their fuel tank was higher than the fuel we put in & we couldn't push the old sedan back out of the gulley onto level ground. They'd also flattened the battery trying to start it.
A quick phone call & soon the cavalry arrived in the form of Postie Dave in his trusty Consul with a set of jump leads -luckily he lives 5 minutes away. What did we ever do without mobiles?! Their battery was behind the driver's seat & we couldn't turn Dave's car around to bring his battery closer, so Dave unplugged it & heaved it over to their car. I took the petrol can & did another trip to the filling station. A bit of fiddling, a splosh of fuel down the carbs & the Chevy motor burst into life. We exchanged business cards, shook hands & they were on their way again, following Dave back to the filling station. I'm hoping they'll repay us by emailing a write-up on the car.
Feels good to be able to help & maybe we've done our little bit to help Anglo Dutch relations.
Thanks for your assistance Dave. Ain't it nice to have mates, especially mates you've never met before. Grin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:13:45 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

lunatic

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »

Awesome! Grin
Dave_postie

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »

glad i could help, stayed at the filling station just in case it wouldnt start again. but it was fine, Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »

PantherShaun's at the Hayride, so I texted him & asked him to look 'em up & make them welcome.
Hope our hospitality makes up for the lousy British Summer weather.
One of the guys was a journalist for Dutch car mags. Chatting to him in the car he told me they couldn't get used to British hills. He said Holland's so flat you can see on Monday who's going to visit you on Tuesday! Grin

Baby Duck

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:22:55 AM »

great write up Manky fab good samaritan story.

muppet

everyone has the right to be stupid...some just abuse the priviledge
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »

Just doin' our job ma'am.
Was nice to be in a position to be able to help. Smiley

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »

Good on yers Monkey's, oh bye the way, if they didnt like the hills what are they gonna think when they come across our speed bumps!!!! Grin

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »

Grin
They'd almost grounded out as it was. Made me wonder how low my Pop's going to sit when it's finished.
The Post Office depot where I work has some of those vicious rubber speed humps in the entrance -steeply angled & much taller than normal tarmac ones. They'd never have made it over those. Not sure I will either.
They'd been warned about our Summer weather so had brought water proof coats -& a surfboard!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:22:22 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »

And just to prove they finally made it to Bisley, here they are at the "Hotrod Hayride" meet this morning.  Grin
Photos stolen from Hersham Bob on the NSRA forum.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 12:04:36 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »

Looks like Jim Turnbull's gorgeous '32 roadster didn't fare so well. A casualty of Saturday's dirt track racing at the Tongham banger track I think, (one of the attractions at the Hayride is the chance to blast your car around the dirt, but somebody breaks something every year. Last year someone's door fell off & someone lost a wheel). 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:28:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 12:32:52 PM »

Shocked wow dont think id ever do that having spent so much time money and effort into a project like that, s**t id rather buy a banger and take it up the mountain and wreck it  Huh anyone know what type headlights are on it though i quite like the look of them.

More metal than skin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: